Having a 7-string handmade / custom-built.

• Thread starter petrucci_dude
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I saw a really high end guitar made out of plywood. It was scraps of really expensive tonewoods, though. I still wouldn't assume it sounded good just because it was really expensive, but it was probably very strong. :lol:

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
pretty much, any guitar no matter what the wood is will sound the same. Why do you think rammstein's guitar tone is similar to Metallica's? they have EMG equipped guitars.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I wouldn't go that far, the woods still come into play, just not as much as with passive pickups. But, your point is still somewhat valid. The EMGs do tend to dominate the sound, but they still wont sound exactly the same in any guitar.

jim777

Seen all good people
Forum MVP
Reaction score
All of the Alder 7 strings I've played have sounded dead to me. Swapping out pickups never seemed to give them any real life, either. I think Alder is a decent enough wood for some 6 strings, but I'd never personally choose it unless it was my only option. Mahogany or ash would be better choices, again, in my opinion.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
jim777 said:
All of the Alder 7 strings I've played have sounded dead to me. Swapping out pickups never seemed to give them any real life, either. I think Alder is a decent enough wood for some 6 strings, but I'd never personally choose it unless it was my only option. Mahogany or ash would be better choices, again, in my opinion.
i think my alder neck through 7 string V sounds phenomenal, it sounds very much alive.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
jim777 said:

What alder bodied guitars have you played? Mike's CS Jackson SL7 has an alder body, and it sounds amazing.

Matt Crooks

User
Contributor
Reaction score
noodles said:
What alder bodied guitars have you played? Mike's CS Jackson SL7 has an alder body, and it sounds amazing.

I'm quite happy with my Alder 7 string Jackson Star as well... and it even has those "tone-sucking" EMGs in it. :metal:

JPMDan said:
pretty much, any guitar no matter what the wood is will sound the same. Why do you think rammstein's guitar tone is similar to Metallica's? they have EMG equipped guitars.

I have many EMG equiped guitars, they are all very distiguishable. None of them sound the same. Do they sound similar? Sure. But if you take five guitars with the same passive pickup in them, they'll all sound similar.

jim777

Seen all good people
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've played and owned half a dozen or so alder Carvin 7's, and none sounded great before or after pickup changes. Certainly none of them sounded as good as my mahogany Carvin, or even my basswood 7620. Tone is subjective obviously, but it was enough to put me off alder as a 7 string body wood. I would always go with mahogany or swamp ash first.
Again, I'm not saying alder sucks and no one should get it or whatever, I'm saying I don't like it, and there are other choices. There are other choices for neck woods besides maple as well.

')