Having a 7-string handmade / custom-built.

• Thread starter petrucci_dude
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
JPMDan said:
when it comes to a 7 string guitar alder body is much more balanced than basswood. fingerboard doesnt contribute but its more of what your fingers like. Maple neck would be a great combo with the alder body. As far as pickups if you like his ibanez tone then yes Steve special and air norton but for his newer tone D Sonic and Air Norton pickups. But your stuck with the D Sonic when it comes to a custom 7 string.

Blaze 7, according to DiMarzio, is basically a Steve's Special 7. Also, they do make an Air Norton 7, and it kicks ass.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shishin

Reaction score
dpm, I can't find any pictures of guitars you've made. Where might I find some?

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Elysian beat me to it :D That's the first Oni, and so far the only one but there are more on the way. I got your email and will reply later tonight, it's 3:20pm Saturday here, so maybe another 6 hours-ish.
I'm not keen on showing pre-Oni stuff because it's work I've done for another employer and I really want Oni to succeed on it's own merits. Not only that but I don't have many decent photos here :lol:

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
bostjan said:
Blaze 7, according to DiMarzio, is basically a Steve's Special 7. Also, they do make an Air Norton 7, and it kicks ass.

I hate blaze pickups they sound muddy.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
JPMDan said:

I think the New7's sound muddy, and are often mistaken with the Blaze pickups, but I think the Blazes actually sound pretty good. ;) Just my opinion, though.

I still prefer the Evo 7 for a nice punch, and I'm still waiting for my D Sonic 7.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I can't stand the Blaze or Steve's Special, but Petrucci gets a great sound from them. I think his amps are an extremely big part of that, and of course his technique.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I'll give it 'til tuesday, then I'll just order them through someone else. I'd like to keep the people I work with happy, though. I just know that their lazy asses take forever to place orders. I made a huge order, too, to save them on shipping. Today they actually told me they weren't going to order any books for students until they had over $200 in merch from the same distributer. Weak. :( They do sell a lot of books, though, so maybe that'll only take a week.

petrucci_dude

teh shredz0r
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

Basswood and Alder seems like a good option too, I just always thought they were budget woods? Obviously not if the pro's use 'em, so that's cool!

Yeah I was thinking of getting the DiMarzio pups cos I don't think I'll have the money to spend on the Bareknuckle ones. :(

Oh, and eaeolian, it's me! The same one. :D

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Scott, Bare Knuckle's cost roughly the same as DiMarzio's in Australia. We get ripped in a big way on US products. So turn that frown upside down :)

b3n

...Is unacceptable.
Contributor
Reaction score
JPMDan said:

I have a blaze in the neck of my mahogany custom and get a really nice creamy lead tone out of it. I wouldn't use it for distorted rhythms though...it does muddy up a bit but hey...that's what the bridge pup (evo7) is for :metal:

petrucci_dude

teh shredz0r
Reaction score
dpm said:
Scott, Bare Knuckle's cost roughly the same as DiMarzio's in Australia. We get ripped in a big way on US products. So turn that frown upside down :)

:eek:

YESSSS!!

I thought you said they were 300 pound each or something?... Someone told me they were. LOL!!

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
I was talking to Tim over at bare knuckle and he told me for a miracle man and Cold Sweat Calibrated Set would be 300 US dollars.

petrucci_dude

teh shredz0r
Reaction score
Yeah I checked my emails and I found out that it would be 300 pounds for the Lundgren 8 string calibrated set. :D My mistake hahaha...

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
petrucci_dude said:
Thanks for the replies guys.

Basswood and Alder seems like a good option too, I just always thought they were budget woods? Obviously not if the pro's use 'em, so that's cool!

Yeah I was thinking of getting the DiMarzio pups cos I don't think I'll have the money to spend on the Bareknuckle ones. :(

Oh, and eaeolian, it's me! The same one. :D
basswood is definately a low budget wood... alder on the other hand, its not the most expensive wood, but its still a very nice tone wood, and nice to work with, i prefer it to all other woods i've worked on

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Basswood depends. There's basswood in EBMM Jp7's & UV's among other things. I'd imagine they'd have a much nicer cut of basswood in a 1500$ EBMM than in a 250$ Rg 320 or something.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
Metal Ken said:
Basswood depends. There's basswood in EBMM Jp7's & UV's among other things. I'd imagine they'd have a much nicer cut of basswood in a 1500$ EBMM than in a 250$ Rg 320 or something.
they might be made with less peices(never taken the finish off a UV) but basswood is basswood, its pretty consistently bad lol

Mark. A

gang* 4 lyfe
Contributor
Reaction score
Basswood is nice, I quite like the tone achievable, but then again I do have an EMG lol.

As for Alder, probably my favorite, light weight and unbelievable tone.

\m/

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
emg's can make plywood useable :lol: i know, i have a friend with a plywood warlock with emg's :lol:

')