Having a hard time selecting a 7 string

• Thread starter gabesrups
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gabesrups

Reaction score
hey guys this is my first post and i have been researching 7 strings on here for a while. I'm looking to spend $2000 to $2500. The guitars Im looking at are the Apex 100 munky sig, the Ibanez 2627ze, the Mayones Setius, and the JP7. Ive gotten very good deals on all 4 with the mayones, and the 2627 being under my price range. Im leaning toward the Apex 100 because it looks amazing. Every review I have seen of these 4 all I see are very positive things. If any of yall have played any of these please let me know the order you would buy these in. Sorry if i sound like a newb but all your replies help alot. thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

parksed24

Reaction score
I've played a couple JP7s and I really like them. I prefer them to Ibanez. The MM trem is superior IMO, it's very stable and smooth. I prefer the JP pups to the Blaze in the Apex 100 for their versatility, they're well balanced and are exceptionally clear. I have a friend that owns one and it was his main guitar until his Daemoness showed up haha. I also own a MM (Luke), and from what I've seen and experienced they are very well built. Also, you have the option of the piezo on a JP.

I've never played the Apex 100. It looks nice, I think you're paying too much for the name. Obviously you're paying for the JP name as well on the MusicMan, but I feel you're getting more guitar for the money with a MM.

The 2627ze looks great, my only concern would be it's routed for active pickups, if you wanted to swap out for passives, you'd have those awkwardly large gaps around the pups. Just an aesthetic thing though. Other than that it specs out well and is pretty well priced.

I can't comment on the Mayones, everyone seems to love theirs, and I definitely wouldn't turn one down!

I'd probably go in this order:
JP7
Mayones Setius
Ibanez 2627ze
Ibanez Apex 100

Although, you have plenty of custom options if you want something a little different!

-You could also get into a Carvin in your price range and have it built to spec.

-You may be able to get into a guitar from Black Water Guitars under the 2500 mark. His base prices start at $1650, so you could probably get some tasty options put on in your budget. There will be a wait time for these though.
Home - Black Water Guitars

-Guitar Logistics also builds awesome stuff, I have a 6 string from him. Mine has the most comfortable neck I've ever put my hands on. An S9 base model 7 starts at $1874.
Guitar Logistics - Built to Spec - pricing

troyguitar

Reaction score
JP7. Make sure you get it from musiciansfriend during their 15% off sales. EBMM is "excluded" but the codes usually still work, and if they don't you can just call them and they will typically give you the discount anyway.

TheGuitarPit

Reaction score
I got a JPX 7 from a price-match deal on Amazon for $1800 and absolutely love it. The trem is crazy, the pickups are golden and the neck is sublime. I don't think I'd be happy if I paid retail, but I think it's great for what I paid. I'd say it's nearly perfect, but it's a bit unforgiving on mistakes since the hollowbody design tends to amplify wrong notes and dead notes a lot.

I've never had a regular JP7, but I owned a EBMMJP 6 and it's nearly perfect. I can't imagine the 7's are any worse.

Adrian-XI

Reaction score
I would go any of the EBMM JP7 models, they are just amazing to play. Have you played all of the guitars you listed?

teamSKDM

Reaction score
IMO go jp7, preferably Jpxi.. I don't plan on owning any Non customs that aren't music man. Jp7s are just immaculate.

WeLookLikeGiants

Reaction score
I have a JP7 BFR and it's the best 7 I've ever played. I have a custom made S7G as well, it plays and sounds awesome but it's starting to have the same issue that Kieth's did....

Edit: Oh, You didn't mention S7G, my bad.

Latest posts

')