Having trouble finding 7th string gauges that are not bass strings

• Thread starter MusicManJP6
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MusicManJP6

Reaction score
So, I'm still trying to find my ideal string gauges for my RG7421. Currently I have 10's on the E, B, & G strings and 11's on the D, A, E, & B strings. The B string is a 58. It feels pretty decent, but I want to try a 60 or bigger to see how it feels. Problem is that it seems anything bigger than that is only available in a bass string. The ball end on a bass string is too big to fit in the back of my stoptail bridge. If I had a 7420 with a floyd then it would not be a problem - just snip the ball off the end...

Where can I find guitar strings packed individually that have a small ball end?! Don't want to buy baritone strings just for the one B string. Would be nice if they made a pack with 10s on top and then thicker up to like a 62 or something on bottom. Just don't want it to be a hassle each time I restring.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Soopahmahn

Tu ne cede malis
Reaction score
JustStrings.com is the answer, but I've also ordered heavy single 3-packs of guitar strings from Musician's Friend.

Ketzer

Good news, everyone!
Reaction score
I custom-order my strings through Sam Ash, They can get the GHS .070 singles in. I usually pair them with the DR Alexi Laiho Sig 10-56s

MusicManJP6

Reaction score
Thanks dudes! Any recommendations for string gauges for tuning half step down ala Jeff Loomis? I know he uses 10-52 + 70, but that might be overkill!

King Ian

Reaction score
Completely personal preference. Obviously, the heavier the gauge the tighter it will be. Personally, I love a .068 for Bb and B.

Soopahmahn

Tu ne cede malis
Reaction score
Thanks dudes! Any recommendations for string gauges for tuning half step down ala Jeff Loomis? I know he uses 10-52 + 70, but that might be overkill!

It is. If you typically rock .009 gauge sets a half step down at your chosen scale length (25.5" I assume?) you should be happy with a .055-.058. If you like .010s, I would suggest .059-.060. Frankly, the only sets that I like are D'Addario's sets because they have the thickest low strings vs. other 7-string sets, and I am content using them as-is (at 25.5").

EDIT: You said .010's. I think you'll be happy with a .060. I'm rocking a .064 right now and it makes my pickups sound a bit boomy and it's too stiff for comfortable power chording. It has a nice taught feeling when I'm doing fast palm-mutes, though, and it prevents the pitch from waving around too much. It's also nice for clean fingerpicking.

MusicManJP6

Reaction score
It is. If you typically rock .009 gauge sets a half step down at your chosen scale length (25.5" I assume?) you should be happy with a .055-.058. If you like .010s, I would suggest .059-.060. Frankly, the only sets that I like are D'Addario's sets because they have the thickest low strings vs. other 7-string sets, and I am content using them as-is (at 25.5").

EDIT: You said .010's. I think you'll be happy with a .060. I'm rocking a .064 right now and it makes my pickups sound a bit boomy and it's too stiff for comfortable power chording. It has a nice taught feeling when I'm doing fast palm-mutes, though, and it prevents the pitch from waving around too much. It's also nice for clean fingerpicking.

I wanna try a 60 and a 62 I think. Thanks!

Hybrid138

Reaction score
I was just about to make a topic like this. I'm totally getting some single set now.

Stateless

Reaction score

I use 10-13-17-26-36-48-64 in standard tuning. Works well 1/2 step down as well. In my experience, the low B's that come in sets are always too floppy and hard to keep in tune. I'd recommend starting with a 62, and then possibly moving up if you want a little more tension.

MusicManJP6

Reaction score
I use 10-13-17-26-36-48-64 in standard tuning. Works well 1/2 step down as well. In my experience, the low B's that come in sets are always too floppy and hard to keep in tune.

Yea man that actually sounds like a good set to try! Is that a custom set that you have to order in separate strings? It would be nice to see a set with those gauges for ease of string changes. I guess if I liked it I could order several of each gauge and be good for a while.

Latest posts

')