Haydn Williams custom 7-strings

• Thread starter Svartmetall
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Svartmetall

Reaction score
These are my main squeezes:
7-stringguitars.jpg

...and a matched fretted/fretless pair of basses...
7-stringbasses.jpg

...and here's where they fit into my collection :D
GuitarCollection20-09-07.jpg

The guy who made my customs is called Haydn Williams, he works with Overwater in Cumbria and makes top-quality instruments.
Untitled Document
I can highly recommend them to anyone looking for a custom guitar or bass.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zoltta

Guns N Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Loving the brown one, but i dont know if i could ever lay my guitars on concrete like that haha

Svartmetall

Reaction score
You can't see it in the pic, but there's a copy of 'Guitar Player' laid flat under each one. I might voluntarily listen to Merzbow, but I'm not entirely stupid :D...

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Damn, that's a nice collection! What are the specs on those custom sevens? Oh, and what tuning do you go for on the basses?

Svartmetall

Reaction score
Damn, that's a nice collection! What are the specs on those custom sevens? Oh, and what tuning do you go for on the basses?

The turquoise bolt-on one is alder body, flamed sycamore top with maple neck with a scalloped ebony fretboard. The chocolate-coloured through-neck one is alder body with quilt maple top, maple neck with ebony board with inlays shamelessly ripped off form the Jackson Roswell model :D. Pickups are custom-wound Kent Armstrongs on both. The bolt-on has a very much a thick-Strat-like tone, although it can easily go heavy enough for death metal; whereas the through-neck one is pretty much what you'd get if Allan Holdsworth joined Morbid Angel, it sounds f**king awesome.

Both basses are through-necks; the fretless has a walnut body with a layer of bubinga under a burl chestnut top, with a 7-piece maple and bubinga neck with an ebony fingerboard lined with strips of flamed maple - I wimped out of having it unlined, much as I think an unlined multi-string bass fingerboard looks great. Practicality first. The fretted one has a centre body core of flamed sycamore, with a layer of purpleheart on each side and a plain walnut back with a burl walnut top; its neck is a 5-piece wenge and purpleheart affair, with a wenge fretboard. The fretless has handwound Kent Armstrong passive pickups, while the fretted has EMGs.

The bolt-on 7-string is tuned to Bb, the through-neck one is tuned to concert B. Both basses are tuned to pretty much the standard 7-string bass tuning of concert B-F, although at times I've dropped the low B down as far as G for dark ambient stuff.

Here's a better pic of the chocolate one:
Brown7-string1.jpg

...it's an awesome guitar, I love it (as you can probably tell from all the crap on the fretboard)...it plays great and sounds great. I'm sorely tempted to get Haydn to make me a maple-boarded 7-string...

Guitar Nymph

Mulatto Metal
Reaction score
Sexy collection! How long was the wait for those custom sevens?

Svartmetall

Reaction score
I actually can't remember, it was quite a while ago that I had them. Not excessive by any means; this guy's guitars really are some of the best I've ever played, I'd match them against anything out there.

ShawnFjellstad

hates womanizers.
Reaction score
how much did the brown one run you?
i went to the site to get an idea of his prices, but the instruments section is under construction.

Svartmetall

Reaction score
Desecrated said:
More info on this please.
Your wish is my command.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ex...haydn-williams-custom-36-fret.html#post853525

:)

how much did the brown one run you?
i went to the site to get an idea of his prices, but the instruments section is under construction.

Erm...I've known the guy since he was 16 and assembling his first guitar in his garage...I got friend prices, so it wouldn't really be fair to quote them. But suffice to say he's very reasonable for the quality of his instruments.

Put it this way - I've had 5 customs from him. That's called putting my money where my mouth is :D.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Tell me about it! With having a kid and getting my own place I went from 10 guitars to two in the last 18 months. Right now I've got two customs on order and I want more. :lol:

')