Head/cab ideas for some evil stoner/doom bastard noise?

• Thread starter McChubs
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

McChubs

Reaction score
Ahoy! I'm looking to stick together a stoner/doom band in the vein of Ramesses/Electric Wizard/a bit of YOB/Sleep, and this requires equipment that isn't a 30 watt solidstate Marshall combo. I've got a couple of ideas, thusly:

A Vintage Modern Marshall/fuzz pedal/Orange cab or...

Buy cheap/loud and create such ungodly noise as to deafen Satan himself. I definitely don't want anything too clear and sparkly, more like the kind of amp you leave sitting in a swamp for a couple of months and when the thing finally crackles into life it's the thickest, bowel-movingest sound ever. I guess I'd pair it with a 'stoner' classic guitar, I was thinking of a Gibson LP Studio ('cause they're cheap). Any ideas to get my bowels rolling?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Well, orange is pretty good for doom/stoner stuff. Might want to check out a Sunn amplifier. They were recommended to me when I asked a similar question months ago.

McChubs

Reaction score
I thought about Sunn but it seems like it'd be tricky to track one down -- certainly they say they're not currently selling any on their site anyway.

Reaction score
Yeah, that's the only issue with it. I also got recommended a recto/any amp with a lot of sag. I don't know how much you're trying to shell out on this, but you may want to look into that.

telecaster90

Smokestack Lightning
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm kinda going for the noisy doom tone at the moment. I'm using a Carvin MTS 3200 which is just a run of the mill high-gain tube amp. To me, the tone is really in how you dial in the EQ. Crank the Bass, Mids, and Gain and you'll have a noisy bastard of an amp pretty much no matter what it is.

raximkoron

Reaction score
I second the Sunn recommendation. Sure you won't find any that are new, but I see old or 'vintage' Sunn shit all the time used via CL or eBay for damned cheap.

McChubs

Reaction score
I can't see any Sunn stuff up on eBay right now, but I'll keep my eyes open for any -- as long as it's punishingly loud and the bass is kicking people's dicks inside out it's all good.

Meldville

THE DOCTOR OF DOOM
Reaction score
Sunn
Orange
Sovtek (get a couple of those MIGs together and you'll be set!)
Ampeg V4 + fuzz/distortion pedal (fucking LOUD!)
Lanel GH/VH seriies
Marshall Plexi (paired with the right pedal and cab, this can definitely deliver)

McChubs

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of doom bands using Hi Watt too (Ramesses and Lazarus Blackstar come to mind), they any good?

telecaster90

Smokestack Lightning
Contributor
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of doom bands using Hi Watt too (Ramesses and Lazarus Blackstar come to mind), they any good?

Hiwatt's are great. I usually think David Gilmour if I have to associate Hiwatts with any specific musician or style or whatever, but I'm sure it could work for doom :yesway:

maat

'stortion junkie
Reaction score
There's still a Sunn amp in circulation. Fender makes 'em. It's called the Fender Bassman 300 Pro.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
You should check out the Orange Thunderverb, with the bass mode on it should be what you're after.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i would buy a sick fuzz pedal if i were you. try the zvex fuzz factory, for example. it's a huge-sounding and mentally ill fuzz.

aside from that, a dual or triple rectifier would give you that super-loose roaring and ballsy sound that you're looking for, and coupling it with a 2X15 or something like that would add to that ;)

blues-core

Reaction score
May also be worth checking Matamp which are made over in Holmfirth. They built the original Orange amps and should be able to sort something that'll suit as are able to tweak the amp include the features/tone you want

Natron808

Reaction score
I can't believe nobody posted Electronic Amps... They made Orange before Orange went out of biz... Mainly because Matamp was the forefather of the Orange, then split off.

Black amps...
Yob uses them, as well as Middian, Sleep, and Orange Goblin.
BLACK Electric Hand Made Tube Amps and Cabs

Well, the way I've read it from Matamp's and Electric's sites is that Matamp was started in the late 50s (I think) by Mat Mathias. A music store named Orange set up a contract with Mat to build Matamp/Orange amps for them in the 60s. Once that contract ran out, Orange took the designs and started just building their own brand of amps and Mat went back to Matamp amps alone. Orange took off and Matamp faded into the history books until some bands like Sleep rediscovered them in the 90s and their popularity bounced back a bit. Their Matamp USA distributor had some problems with reliability and other business practices of Matamp's at the time so they started their own line of amplifiers called Electric Amp Innovations and stopped importing Matamp stuff.

I've owned a Matamp Roadster which is kind of a hot-rodded GT120 design which is the amp used on the Sleep Jerusalem/Dopesmoker album. I now own an Electric Amp MVU 120 and it is easily the sickest, best sounding, most brutal piece of equipment I have ever owned or played. I very highly recommend their stuff. VERY highly. Plus, the internal P2P wiring is so tidy and well done that any component repairs or swaps should be extremely easy.. though I doubt you'd ever need to do that since they're built so tough that a kick down a flight of concrete stairs shouldn't hurt them.

McChubs

Reaction score
I made a tone on my Pod X3 that sounds pretty close to the sound I'd like to end up with from an amp. It's quite squashed down and meaty, with tons of harsh fuzz and breaking apart at the seams with bass. At the moment, I'm 80% sold on a Hiwatt Hi-gain 100 head powering an Orange 4x12 cab with some filthy fuzz pedal parked in front of it, would that be able to get a tone like/better than this? Here's some tripe I played to test it out:
YouSendIt - Send large files - transfer delivery - FTP Replacement

Natron808

Reaction score
I made a tone on my Pod X3 that sounds pretty close to the sound I'd like to end up with from an amp. It's quite squashed down and meaty, with tons of harsh fuzz and breaking apart at the seams with bass. At the moment, I'm 80% sold on a Hiwatt Hi-gain 100 head powering an Orange 4x12 cab with some filthy fuzz pedal parked in front of it, would that be able to get a tone like/better than this? Here's some tripe I played to test it out:
YouSendIt - Send large files - transfer delivery - FTP Replacement

Holy jesus H frickin spreadable christ on a cracker... that sounds awesome.

')