Head/cab ideas for some evil stoner/doom bastard noise?

• Thread starter McChubs
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sepherus

The Crimson Comedian
Contributor
Reaction score
You need some G12Hs or clones there of (Warehouse Reapers, or Reaper high powers maybe) and a good fuzz or fuzzy sounding amp. You can always use a bit of the fuzz, and a bit of the amp too. A recto on Raw with a fuzz up front sound awesome. I do so with a Russian Big Muff, but I'm looking into picking up a Death By Audio Fuzz War, Devi Ever Hyperion, Super Massive Black Hole, or a Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz. The recto on its own can get pretty nasty sounding too.

McChubs

Reaction score
You got any samples of your setup? I wasn't going to touch Mesa because in my mind they were always the champions of super tight/clean metal rather than crackling fuzz and bass.

Natron808

Reaction score
I know the chances of you seeking and actually picking up an Electric Amp head are minimal at best but I'm going to just post a couple links to clips of them just so you can get an idea. They have tonnns of low-end. When I recorded video of mine, it was hard to keep the camera still because the amp's low-end was vibrating it all over the place even at modest volumes. Very raw and buzzsaw sounding distortion, vintage voiced, and aggressive as heck sounding.

Anyway:
SoundClick artist: Natron808 - page with MP3 music downloads

Not up everyone's alley. I just happen to really like them. They're very sensitive to what pickups your guitar has as well so their sound can vary. You may also want to look for a Matamp GTL or GT1. The GT1 is pretty affordable if you order it direct from their factory.

EDIT: Tip, the sound on Electric Wizard's "Dopethrone" album is just a Boss FZ-2 into any loud amp. I have one here and it's simply 100% identical sounding to that album so if you want to cop that tone, just camp out on Ebay looking for one.

sepherus

The Crimson Comedian
Contributor
Reaction score
I got nothing at the moment. I'll try to get some quick clips done in the morning though. I'll do raw, modern and fuzzed of both

signalgrey

Ambiente Savante
Reaction score
stoner metal
Pitbull
Blackstar series 1
Hiwatt (if you can afford it)
marshall with KT88 mod
Thunderverb
Green/Black Amps

basically get kt88s in it. also try playing through a 2X15 it sounds fucking rediculous!

and +1 to the boss FZ pedal. get the Hyperfuzz its absolutely savage! AAAAAND it has one of the best clean boosts ive heard.

McChubs

Reaction score
Hiwatt is watt (harhar) I've got my eye on at the moment, a Hiwatt Hi-gain 100 head maybe? I don't have any experience with Hiwatts, so if you have any suggestions go for it.

pink freud

Reaction score
Have you thought about amp kits?

Weber does a 100watt and a 200watt SUNN O))) clone, and an Orange OD100 clone.

Ceriatone does a Hiwatt 103 clone and a 504 clone.

Tukaar

Bringer of DOOOOOOOM
Reaction score
Jus from Electric Wizard's mainstay in his rig has almost always been a Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz. He pretty much plug that thing into whatever head he can fine (Which right now is some late '60's Hiwatts). The reason for this being that he didn't own a head for a long time, and he just borrowed from friends or rented.

You can really hear the FZ-2 on the Dopethrone and Come My Fanatics albums. What he's using on there is the FZ-2's 2nd mode, which is just a relentless buzzsaw fuzz.I love it. :D

')