Headfirst Evil Joe

• Thread starter MetalDaze
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Meeotch

Reaction score
Dang, this amp can get pretty saturated and greasy. I think it sounds great. I have an Alta and channel 3 modern mode with diodes and a boost out front gets all the saturation I need. It's the clarity of the Alta that continues to impress me. Really looking forward to seeing how Jason's designs progress and I can definitely see myself getting something else from him in the future.

I also have a Skeleton Key and it really is special as well. Fantastic builders!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

warped

Reaction score
Shae's clip has the best tone out of all the demo's. I'm on the waiting list of these too - hopefully we get some good metal clips of them. I know of metal bands using the Headfirst Cali and really loving the tone, and a great metal guitarist/recording engineer/producer who bought a proto Evil Joe coz he loved the cali so much.

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
Jason confirmed that he builds the chassis and then sends them to Shea for mounting in the headshell.

warped

Reaction score
Have you played a demo one or heard anything beyond the youtube vids?

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
Have you played a demo one or heard anything beyond the youtube vids?
I have not played one so this is a total leap of faith.

I have one of the Monomyth modded Origin 50's and it's awesome. It has controls similar to the Skeleton Key, which is more than his typical Origin mods. That's what got me into watching more of Jason's work, which by all accounts looks stellar.

The Evil Joe is basically an updated Headfirst Cali with a built-in FET boost. I don't own anything along those lines so I figured it was worth a shot.

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
Any ETA on delivery date? What sort of music do you play?
Tracking says Monday.

I play a range of stuff from old Ozzy riffs to Killswitch Engage. My other amps are an ENGL Fireball 100, 5150 100W Stealth, Bogner Uber Ultra, and a Diezel D-Moll. Until recently I've never owned a Marshall so I guess I'm going through a phase :lol:

warped

Reaction score
Tracking says Monday.

I play a range of stuff from old Ozzy riffs to Killswitch Engage. My other amps are an ENGL Fireball 100, 5150 100W Stealth, Bogner Uber Ultra, and a Diezel D-Moll. Until recently I've never owned a Marshall so I guess I'm going through a phase :lol:
Wow - will be great to hear how you think it compares to that line-up.

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
The Evil Joe has arrived!!!!

processed-1369172F-AF13-4488-BFA9-FBC97F1F86A8.jpeg

It's exactly what I was hoping for. The original product release video does not do it justice. I'm glad people hesitated on the purchase so I could grab one.

I haven't explored all of the switch combinations, mainly going full bore on the Darkness channel with the bright cap and FTG engaged. I'm guessing that Shea had similar settings in the video he made, which shows it definitely covers metal tones - no external boost needed.

I had forgotten about my last experience with modded Marshall amps....the Splawn QuickRod. I didn't like it. It sounded thin and not as dynamic. It could be that I needed to crank it louder for it to open up, but in any event, I sold it. The Evil Joe sounds great at low volumes.

If you go back and listen to Headfirst Cali videos, you'll get a good idea of what this sounds like. Very full and surprisingly quiet with the gain set high. It's that modded Marshall sound that's in your head (well, at least my head).

I can't imagine anyone would be disappointed in it. There seems to be a lot of flexibility to tailor the sound to your needs. I wish nothing but the best for these guys and you won't see this in the classifieds any time soon!

warped

Reaction score
Congrats - I have so many questions :) Does it sound dry/saturated? Is Evil the high/higher gain channel? Does it do lower tuned stuff well (Fear Factory/Meshuggah/etc)?
Any chance you could post some kind of sound? Even a mobile phone in the room sample of just a few palm mutes and power chords?

Does it stack up to the 5150 Stealth high gain wise?

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
Congrats - I have so many questions :) Does it sound dry/saturated? Is Evil the high/higher gain channel? Does it do lower tuned stuff well (Fear Factory/Meshuggah/etc)?
Any chance you could post some kind of sound? Even a mobile phone in the room sample of just a few palm mutes and power chords?

Does it stack up to the 5150 Stealth high gain wise?
Darkness is the higher gain channel and with the compression switch on, it is very saturated. It is really the ultimate 80's/90's type of amp whether that meant you listed to Van Halen, Anthrax, or Alice in Chains (as shown in that original video). Not that it is limited to those bands. Lots of folks rely on that Marshall sound.

I would say the downtuned stuff is probably more Monomyth (2000's+). I think that's what is cool about the partnership. They are covering different eras of high gain.

')