Headless Carvin 8 String Incoming?

• Thread starter MetalBuddah
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jmeezle

Reaction score
TOtlrSN.gif

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zhysick

Reaction score
Yes... Looks better than expected. I don't like the Hipshot Headless Bridge but even with that looks awesome...

Well done Carvin... good move... good move...

PD: Typing my bank website right now...

Spaceman_Spiff

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I honestly think those look hideous. Definitely gonna wait to see how comfortable people think they are. Good move for Carvin though. You can't argue with their quality, and the options certainly are tempting. It's good that companies are starting to introduce and offer more "outside the norm" guitars.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong... I really do hope other ppl buy it. Maybe they'll make a singlecut headless if this one sells well... One can dream... :lol:

RV350ALSCYTHE

Reaction score
You can't sit in classical position with it :scratch:
Tuners digging into my inner thigh :noplease:
The weight of the guitar transferred through small metal rods into tender flesh, damaging tissues and causing a nice bruise :lol:

They could have gone a little more ergonomic like a shoggie or strandberg on the lower cheek.

I still want to see a clear shot of that 8, especially the arm bevel with the natural bodywood layer showing through.

Jzbass25

Reaction score
The bridge was expected but it just kills it for me, since I think it's huge and ugly and I sit in the classical position so the guitar will be annoying for me. I hope they start doing more body shapes like this though since I always find carvins to look a little too rounded.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
What is it about the Hipshot bridge that so many of you find ugly? I find it more visually appealing than any other headless system currently on the market (although, as I said, the ideal situation for me would be J-Custom introducing 7+ string bridges, even tremolos). Also, I've owned a few Steinbergers, I sit in the classical position, and I've never had a problem with the tuners digging in to my leg. I'd welcome any owners of Steinberger/Holdworth models to chime in and share their experiences with this.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
Step 1: SSO users beg Carvin to make a headless ERG for literally years

Step 2: Carvin finally makes one, posts teaser images, SSO jizzes EVERYWHERE

Step 3: Full headless ERG lineup revealed. SSO declares it "meh" and "probably won't buy it."

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
What is it about the Hipshot bridge that so many of you find ugly? I find it more visually appealing than any other headless system currently on the market (although, as I said, the ideal situation for me would be J-Custom introducing 7+ string bridges, even tremolos). Also, I've owned a few Steinbergers, I sit in the classical position, and I've never had a problem with the tuners digging in to my leg. I'd welcome any owners of Steinberger/Holdworth models to chime in and share their experiences with this.

I think its a bit blocky and boring looking. It doesn't look high end. Maybe if it wasn't surface-mount it would look better. I dunno, maybe I'm just spoiled by the Strandberg hardware, since thats the only headless hardware I've seen before, and it looks really nice.

That being said, its not bad enough to be a dealbreaker. I'm more worried about the edge of the bridge by the saddles. Looks like it might get in the way or dig into my palm?

trippled

Reaction score
Personally, I don't understand what anyone here is complaining about.
This is a move I would have never expected carvin to do, and the design is looking great,
To be percise, I think that's the nicest shape they've done for 7-8 strings, I was always a bit off with the dc models and I think it looks alot slicker then the current offerings for 7 string models as well.

This is fantastic, would be difficult to spec since so many options would look awesome with that design.

JaxoBuzzo

....ing river pirate
Reaction score

Step 3: Full headless ERG lineup revealed. SSO declares it "meh" and "probably won't buy it."

Yeah. I can't decide if that's entertaining or annoying? I don't mind the bridge. There's not much else out there, with the exception of a few companies. I would rather have a blocky bridge system made by a reputable company and this guitar still remain somewhat affordable, then paying an expensive up charge for, say, Strandberg hardware.

You should head to the sevenstring section and go to
The Carvin Vader thread and read everyone's posts bitching about the scale length not being short enough.....

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score

Huh. I always remember Step 1 as, "you cut a hole in the box." :lol:

I think, irrespective of whether an individual player likes this model or not, the real significance here is the almost paradigm shift we've seen in Carvin over the past 2 years. And this particular jump is significant. Carvin used to be a cool company with a lot of guitars for traditional players. Now they're a cool company with a lot of guitars for traditional AND niche players. If someone had told me 3 years ago if they'd be doing the Vader model, I'd have asked them where they got their weed, and could I have some, too.

Tom Drinkwater

ERG/ERB Builder
Reaction score
Huh. I always remember Step 1 as, "you cut a hole in the box." :lol:

I think, irrespective of whether an individual player likes this model or not, the real significance here is the almost paradigm shift we've seen in Carvin over the past 2 years. And this particular jump is significant. Carvin used to be a cool company with a lot of guitars for traditional players. Now they're a cool company with a lot of guitars for traditional AND niche players. If someone had told me 3 years ago if they'd be doing the Vader model, I'd have asked them where they got their weed, and could I have some, too.

It'll be interesting to see whether or not Carvin/Keisel keeps up with the new business model. I hope it works out for them in the long run. It is good to see them being a little more flexible than they have been in the past.

mikesch

Reaction score
I think, irrespective of whether an individual player likes this model or not, the real significance here is the almost paradigm shift we've seen in Carvin over the past 2 years. And this particular jump is significant.

Agreed, especially as other manufacturers have kind of fallen off. We have great stuff at the super high end, as always, but nothing really filling this niche. Schecter's finally at least stopped putting bats on everything, but Ibanez keeps retreading the 90s, maybe adding another string every two years or painting everything a slightly different shade of black.

The awesome thing about their business model is that they're not worried about building 10,000 of something that will bankrupt them if it doesn't sell. After R&D is paid for there's not a lot of cost to keeping a new model in the inventory. If it doesn't sell, remove the profile from the CNC machine and try something else. Could they make their living at their scale selling nothing but the Vader? Probably not. Same for the Holdsworth. Does their business model give them a chance to experiment and bring fun stuff to market while not betting the company? Absolutely. It's great seeing them finally take advantage of that.

I wasn't impressed with the 90s Carvins that I owned, but I took a chance and ordered a C66 a couple of months ago since they seem to have stepped things up recently. It's a great guitar, and not just for the price. Depending on how the numbers guitar looks at NAMM, I'll probably be on the phone ordering one of these pretty soon.

')