Headless Multiscale Les Paul

• Thread starter cgmorrison
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
...not the Gibson type. Helping a friend who loves the Les Paul shape but wants a headless multiscale guitar. We started with a CAD model of a traditional Les Paul, made the body thinner, got rid of the neck angle, and made a ton of tweaks to make it playable while retaining the original body outline. Everything was modeled in Autodesk Fusion 360 and is being milled out on a Onefinity Journeyman CNC.

-Walnut body with a Maple top (dyed red with a black burst)
-Maple and Purpleheart 5 piece neck with threaded inserts
-Zebrawood Fretboard
-24.5" - 26" Multiscale
-24 Stainless Steel Frets
-EMG 707s
-Hipshot Headless hardware

A few renders from F360...
3.png

2.png

1.png

5.png

The stock...
IMG_20221212_180115522.jpg

And the milled neck. The backside has been hit with a .25" ball nose end mill already to clean up the steps. I'll post a photo on the next update.
IMG_20230128_211417398.jpg

1000001699.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Man, you really have that CNC dialed in! It looks great! I personally think your friend is on drugs for wanting a headless LP, because the shape doesn't lend itself well to headless (given where the hardware ends up), but I think you did a stellar job with the design.

Reaction score
Thanks, man. I upgraded to a 2.2kw spindle a while back and it has been awesome for really dialing in feeds and speeds. I suggested we reshape the aft of the body to more of a Strandberg style shape to get rid of a lot of material back there, but he wanted to maintain the original outline.

')