Headphones, let's hear what you got

• Thread starter LarksTongue
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Sennheiser HD555s.

Amazon.com: Sennheiser Classic Stereo Headphones: Electronics is the current Amazon link, because they've been replaced with the 558's now. I grabbed them when they were on clearance for sub-$100.

They're comfy with stiff glasses, which is good because that's what I wear :lol:, open back isn't too bothersome as long as you're not cranked on the volume (studio tested! never received complaints about blasting LoG/BTBAM/Meshuggah/etc to my own ears in the two years I had 'em), the sound's very even and neutral and have a very nice sound stage. My only complaint is that the bass is a bit on the polite side. It's there, and very well defined, just doesn't quite have the oomph you might want.

When I run them through my desktop's ASUS Xonar Essence 1/4" jack everything sounds very full and you can really tell the difference going up to .flac and such.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Itchyman

Reaction score
HANWEI Practical katana dude :metal:
For sure!

Do you have any mods on your HD428? I use to have them, did the simple bass mod to them. Loved those cans, great sound stage for closed headphones. I actually just bought another pair on ebay for $17 bucks:fawk:
Dual entry recable with heavier guage (made a big difference) and the bass mod. They pump so much bass, it makes my eyes vibrate lol

stevexc

Reaction score
I've been using a pair of AKG K240 MkIIs for about 6 years now, the longest I've kept any headphones alive. They're not as huge in the bass as most headphones, but I prefer that - I find them to be REALLY damn clear though.

BrainArt

Deftones Guru.
Reaction score
My little sister got me a pair of AKG K44s for Christmas and I've been loving them. Have a pair of Sennheiser HD201s that I dig as well, but I need to get a replacement plug so I can fix them.

ATOMICxTomato

Reaction score
For sure!

Dual entry recable with heavier guage (made a big difference) and the bass mod. They pump so much bass, it makes my eyes vibrate lol
If you dont mind me asking, how did you do the dual entry recable? I just got my pair in but it seems that the headphone jack is already messed up, though these were refurbished but still.....:noplease:

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Thought I'd revive this thread as I'm looking for some good recording headphones.

I just picked up a pair of Sennheiser CX175s for casual listening and the gym, and I have a pair of Razer Electra that I use for gaming. The Razers are way too bass heavy to listen to music and I wouldn't try using them for recording either.

Based on this thread I was interested in the Beyerdynamic DT770s (until I saw people saying that they're also bass heavy) so now I'm leaning more towards AKG K240s or something from Audio Technica. Any advice? Pros and cons, etc?

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
^ Are you using a real amp for recording, and do you live in a noisy home? If not you could try some open backed headphones. The Audio Technica AD900x are supposed to be great, I've gone back and forth on whether or not to pick up a pair.

I have the AD700s and they're a bit bass light but the bass that is there is quite solid, they're still my main headphones for listening 2 years running, a lot of people consider them among the best for gaming too.
The AD900 and AD900x headphones make up for the light bass without losing the clarity of the 700s (the main difference I'm aware of between the 900 and 900x is the look).

If you're looking at beyerdynamic the 880s look like the better choice. They're semi-open rather than fully open. Wait on ebay and you can find the 32 ohm versions (easiest to drive) for under 250.

The 770s can be bass heavy, depending on what version you get. The 32 ohm versions appear to have a big spike in low frequencies, compared to the measurements of the 1350s they have more bass and frankly my 1350s already sound choked by bass. The 600 ohm ohm version actually has a drop in bass, but they'll require a headphone amp to drive and will cost more.

graphCompare.php

*The only reason I'm bringing out the frequency response measurement graphs is because the graphs from headphone.com seem to correlate closely to my own listening experiences with headphones I own/have owned and they may illustrate what to expect better than descriptions from users.

----------------------

Add Beyerdynamic DT1350 headphones and Etymotic ER4PT In ear Monitors to my list of headphones. For the latter, originally I was just going to stick with the supplied ear tips, but I've reconsidered and may go for custom molds via Sensaphonics. This is purely for comfort reasons more than anything, even after the triple flanged tips have softened from consistent use they are still painful to remove from my left ear. The foam and glider tips weren't a huge improvement. All 3 seemed to be trying to artificially widen my ear canal, its as uncomfortable as it sounds. I think the Etymotics are worth the additional investment.

I'm going to be picking up a Schiit Magni and Modi soon. I'd considered the Asgard 2 and Bifrost Uber but I realized that I wasn't quite ready to spend that much on gear I have no first hand experience with. I'd also considered the JDS O2+ODAC, but the Magni/Modi are cheaper, and according to people who have owned both, sound very similar.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
I use Ultrasone Pro 900's got them for a steal through a friend.

I use to own a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50s, and they were great for the price, a bit bass heavy for mixing though.

Spacestationfive

Reaction score
I am unbelievably satisfied with my Presonus HD7 headphones for tracking and roughing in my mixes before I finish with my monitors. The unbelievability is due to the fact that they only cost me $60 new.

AlejoV

Reaction score
For listening= Sony XB600
For monitoring=Cheap Superlux HD668B

Murmel

Reaction score
Based on this thread I was interested in the Beyerdynamic DT770s (until I saw people saying that they're also bass heavy) so now I'm leaning more towards AKG K240s or something from Audio Technica. Any advice? Pros and cons, etc?

I've got the DT770s and dig them a lot. I do like my bass though. Not doing any serious work in them, just digging to music.

Omura

Reaction score
Shure SRH940
JH Audio JH5 pro (ciem)

One day I will own Audeze LCD2's. One day.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
^ Are you using a real amp for recording, and do you live in a noisy home? If not you could try some open backed headphones. The Audio Technica AD900x are supposed to be great, I've gone back and forth on whether or not to pick up a pair.

I have the AD700s and they're a bit bass light but the bass that is there is quite solid, they're still my main headphones for listening 2 years running, a lot of people consider them among the best for gaming too.
The AD900 and AD900x headphones make up for the light bass without losing the clarity of the 700s (the main difference I'm aware of between the 900 and 900x is the look).

If you're looking at beyerdynamic the 880s look like the better choice. They're semi-open rather than fully open. Wait on ebay and you can find the 32 ohm versions (easiest to drive) for under 250.

The 770s can be bass heavy, depending on what version you get. The 32 ohm versions appear to have a big spike in low frequencies, compared to the measurements of the 1350s they have more bass and frankly my 1350s already sound choked by bass. The 600 ohm ohm version actually has a drop in bass, but they'll require a headphone amp to drive and will cost more.

*The only reason I'm bringing out the frequency response measurement graphs is because the graphs from headphone.com seem to correlate closely to my own listening experiences with headphones I own/have owned and they may illustrate what to expect better than descriptions from users.
No, I'm gonna start using amp sims (need to do some research into some software for those, too) and my house isn't too noisy. I looked at some graphs (thank you for showing me those btw) and it's looking more like I'm leaning towards the AKG K240s or the Audio-Technica AD900x. The 880s have the most appealing output, but they also cost a lot more than I want to spend when I'm only just beginning to get into recording. :lol:

graphCompare.php

Anyone with the AKG K240s care to throw in some input on the high frequency side? Is that huge drop really noticeable?

Rise

Reaction score
My main headphones for music these days are an over ear pair of Sennheiser Momentum. Super comfortable and sound great. I still have some HD212 Pros here somewhere too, awesome headphones considering I paid $27 for them. :lol:

Deception

deceived
Reaction score
Sennheiser HD202s for listening, and also monitoring until I get some actual monitors

Dominoes282

Mixing Engineer
Reaction score
I've been using a pair of AKG K240 MkIIs for about 6 years now, the longest I've kept any headphones alive. They're not as huge in the bass as most headphones, but I prefer that - I find them to be REALLY damn clear though.

Hells yeah someone else who uses these. I have two pairs (55Ω and 600Ω) for occasional studio use and they work swimmingly :metal:

Reaction score
I use KRK 6400's for mixing when its late, tracking guitars, and general music listening.

Really comfy and a damn good sound.

Sephiroth952

Ibby Fanboy
Reaction score
I actually have a pair of DT770s (80 ohm) and I can honestly say I love them. Very crisp and clear sound. While they can be bassy at times I wouldn't go the stretch to call them bass heavy. They are though the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn though, I can wear them for 5-8 hours with very minor ear pain (They are gonna hurt sometime).

Oh and the best part is they are build like a ....ing tank, you cannot break these things, and even if you could beyer sells basically any part you could need.

')