Headphones

• Thread starter spattergrind
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spattergrind

Reaction score
I'm looking for some good all around studio headphones to use for mixing as well as listening...

I've been "hearing" good things about:
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
as well as others in those brands

any advice/experience?

<$100

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
^ Not really in his budget of <$100 though :lol:

There's a set of Sony headphones which can be had for about $100 or so on eBay new, they're not perfect, but for mixing and whatnot they're pretty damn good... I just can't remember the name of them :ugh:

I'll get the model number for you later tonight when I go to my mates place :yesway:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pros from Amazon for about $90 delivered and they work wonderfully. Far better than some of the Panasonic and Sony ones I've used in the past, which were even a little bit pricier.

I can only imagine the HD650s being awesome, but not for $400, that's what my monitors are for. :lol:

spattergrind

Reaction score
ya i cant afford those HD650's.....
i already have monitors....
its just for like silent mixing and listening.....which i cant do with monitors.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
i have a set of sonys i got from best buy a while back for 60 bux. they are awesome for mixing and shit but keep in mind they will sound aweful if you try to listen to an mp3 player with them.

keshav

Connecting the Dots
Reaction score
ATHM50s are incredibly good for their price. I like them much much better than the HD280s.

JEBADIAH

Reaction score
y'know , I used to use my sennheiser 600's for mixing/mastering (and they do sound great) but could never get my mixes to translate to other systems.

So, I got a cheapo pair of Phillips headphones (£20) and although they may not be flat response - by cross referencing to commercial tracks I can now get my tracks to translate exactly as i want.

I think it's important to mix on "real world" monitors/phones as this is what 99.9% of people are listening to the songs on - but you have to have a good bottom end representation on whatever your listening on.

I also use Voxengo span spectrum analyzer , not beacause i dont use my ears but because i know how my mix should look if it "sounds" balanced.

keshav

Connecting the Dots
Reaction score
y'know , I used to use my sennheiser 600's for mixing/mastering (and they do sound great) but could never get my mixes to translate to other systems.

So, I got a cheapo pair of Phillips headphones (£20) and although they may not be flat response - by cross referencing to commercial tracks I can now get my tracks to translate exactly as i want.

I think it's important to mix on "real world" monitors/phones as this is what 99.9% of people are listening to the songs on - but you have to have a good bottom end representation on whatever your listening on.

I also use Voxengo span spectrum analyzer , not beacause i dont use my ears but because i know how my mix should look if it "sounds" balanced.

Oh yeah, even I always check how my mixes are sounding on my (ultra-crappy) Creative 2.1 speakers. I prefer not to actually mix on them though, as it's very easy to overcompensate for the drastic flaws in such systems, and when you listen back on a good system you've messed up what was nearly 90% there :p But yeah. Car, desktop speakers, ipod headphones - very important to check on these and make notes.

chaosxcomplex

Reaction score
A guy I recorded with a looooong time ago (around 8 years ago...damn im getting old...)always did the "other room listen"...he'd go into the other room (his house was his studio) and said he was seeing if he walked into a house and the song was blaring, if he would want to explore and find out what it was...

Nostrildamus

Reaction score
What about the Sennheiser EH250s? Does anyone have any experience with those? They seem to be more in the price range that the OP put forth.

The product review states, "The eH 250 closed dynamic hi-fi stereo headphones have a balanced sound image with a slight emphasis on the bass response. DJs will like their excellent attenuation of ambient noise, the soft, comfortable ear pads and easily replaceable cable."

So long as the base response isn't super accentuated they might do the trick nicely for considerably less than many of the headphones which have been suggested.

')