Health and guitar?

• Thread starter MyOwnEffigy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MyOwnEffigy

Satan's Scallion
Reaction score
Hey, Seven String gang,

I've been playing guitar for a while now, but the more I get into shred, the harder it gets to play the same basic patterns. Its not that the fingerings are difficult, its that my fretting hand will kind of "lock up". Like, it will just stop moving fluidly and I have to keep pushing it to speed back up. It used to be able to roll through three note runs fairly quickly. I have heard from at least a handful of people that caffeine is to blame. I had cut caffeine out for like a month, but then I started to consume it again. Is that probably the problem? And are there any other tips to keep the hands nice and nimble? Thanks, you guys.

-Steve.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I drink coffee like it's my job, and have had no problems like that (I think)

Really, it's a question of staying relaxed while you play. keep your muscles fluid and smooth, and your playing will follow - it's when your muscles tense up that you tend to "tense up" on the fretboard.

As an aside, I think my picking noticeably improves after a couple of glasses of wine, for basically these reasons. :lol:

-D

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I drink alot of coffee too but it doesnt affect my playing, just gives me the shakes.
What do you for work? In auto detailing, when Im buffing, I get cramps in my arm.
I started stretching my arms before I did any activities such as this and it helped.:)

Hawksmoor

Wannabe Shredder
Reaction score
Flobanez said:
I drink alot of coffee too but it doesnt affect my playing, just gives me the shakes.
What do you for work? In auto detailing, when Im buffing, I get cramps in my arm.
I started stretching my arms before I did any activities such as this and it helped.:)

Shakes = natural vibrato

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
Sephiroth000 said:
Gotta keep relaxed, it's very hard to do sometimes..
sometimes when i try to play while angry, i just get angrier, because i end up sounding like shit :lol:

Latest posts

')