Heartbreaking chip in new carvin dc800 (self inflicted)

• Thread starter gnarlwinslow
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gnarlwinslow

Reaction score
Heartbreaking moment. My new "ish" DC800 somehow acquired a mysterious chip. No idea how, I'm sure it's my fault and no fault of Carvin's awesome finish but wow it bummed me out..

However I'm going to fix this shit, this old StewMac dude inspired me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTVScFJoe24

The first pic is basically the chip, as I went on I applied a tiny amount of ebony stain with a toothpick, drawing it in basically. Right now I'm at the stage once the stain dries where I need to apply the superglue.

Wish me luck. I suppose its the first battlescar so its not the end of the world but we'll see what happens here.

Attachments

• IMAG0256[1].jpg
    IMAG0256[1].jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 476
  • IMAG0253[1].jpg
    IMAG0253[1].jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 375
  • IMAG0255[1].jpg
    IMAG0255[1].jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 327
  • IMAG0254[1].jpg
    IMAG0254[1].jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 326
  • IMAG0251[1].jpg
    IMAG0251[1].jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 372

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gnarlwinslow

Reaction score
Thanks I have hope. Although I will never sell this thing anyways so I don't care all that much. I have hope that it will come out good. It already looks a ton better with the stained portion. It looked really bad initially.

shanerct

Reaction score
20110610_its-just-a-flesh-wound_medium_img.jpg

It sucks man but the fix looks legit. Nice save!

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
Awww you gave her a band aid! Jokes aside, You've patched her rather well.

the.godfather

Mr. Flibble
Reaction score
Good luck on the fix, hopefully it turns out okay. It's difficult to decide sometimes whether to just leave it alone or attempt the fix. That's why I've always liked a gloss finish, not satin. I always feel it offers a little more protection all-round.

spilla

Reaction score
I know that feeling. Scratched the back of one of my guitars when taking out the trem springs while installing a tremol-no. Still pains me to look at it!

Good luck with the repair!

gnarlwinslow

Reaction score
So an update on this. It didn't turn out very well. Long story short I tried contacting Carvin about having it repaired. I'm curious if anyone has gone through anything similar. I've emailed through their site which I initially received no response. Called and was transferred to the guitar tech who dealt with these sorts of issues who asked me to email a picture and he'd get a quote. I emailed, and waited a few weeks and never heard anything back. Emailed again for an update and was told they were checking with the paint department. Waited another few weeks and heard nothing. I just emailed again but am feeling pretty lost. All I've heard customer service wise was how great Carvin has been. So far that has not been my experience. Anyone have dealings with a guitar repair from Carvin? This is my nightmare since I finally ordered my dream guitar, got it, balls it up (I should have just called immediately) and basically have a bleak feeling about it ever being repaired. Haha. Just my luck I guess.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
So an update on this. It didn't turn out very well. Long story short I tried contacting Carvin about having it repaired. I'm curious if anyone has gone through anything similar. I've emailed through their site which I initially received no response. Called and was transferred to the guitar tech who dealt with these sorts of issues who asked me to email a picture and he'd get a quote. I emailed, and waited a few weeks and never heard anything back. Emailed again for an update and was told they were checking with the paint department. Waited another few weeks and heard nothing. I just emailed again but am feeling pretty lost. All I've heard customer service wise was how great Carvin has been. So far that has not been my experience. Anyone have dealings with a guitar repair from Carvin? This is my nightmare since I finally ordered my dream guitar, got it, balls it up (I should have just called immediately) and basically have a bleak feeling about it ever being repaired. Haha. Just my luck I guess.

Dont worry about it being repaired. I'd almost assure you that Carvin isnt and cant do anything. Its just a chip. Live with it. It gives it character. This over anal deally is getting out of hand in some cases.

You want it fixed? Talk to a local tech. Carvin probably didnt respond because, quite frankly, wanting to ship that guitar back to them for a repair they had no involvement in is absurd IMO.

Its a guitar. If you dont want marks on it, dont play it. If you want to play it, expect to get marks on it. Thats the reality of the situation.
Again. I dont see an issue with trying to repair it/getting it repaired, but to call Carvin to do it is insane. It would be like contacting a Buick dealer because the waterpump on your buick went out. Just take it to a local guy if its that big of a deal.

(Not trying to be a dick, just get a little agitated when people are unrealistically picky.) Beautiful guitar by the way. Even with the chip. We all have scars.

Michael T

Sea Turtles mate
Contributor
Reaction score
hey man chip happens.

With any new (ish) guitar you will always baby them and do whatever it takes to prevent any inevitable damage. Eventually it will happen unless you just keep it in a case and never play it. Great thing is, once that first scratch or dent happens a magical weight is lifted off your shoulders and you can finally play the hell out of it.

Enjoy your guitar and don't stress over a chip.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
Great thing is, once that first scratch or dent happens a magical weight is lifted off your shoulders and you can finally play the hell out of it.

Bingo. This is why I hate owning a new car. Because sometimes I want to go down the alley and plow into a dozen trash cans.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's not a paint chip, that's a wood chip.

Take it to a local tech. You're probably looking at about $50 to $150 depending on how "invisible" you want it and how long you're willing to wait in the queue.

To be fair on Carvin's end, the second you tried to mess with it yourself you kinda voided any warranty/service they'd provide (likely). Did you send them the same pics you're showing us?

gnarlwinslow

Reaction score
Their site specifically advertises that they repair guitars and to email or call for a quote. I definitely don't find it unreasonable that I called them and asked them about a service they provide... I was totally up front and told them exactly what happened. Either way, I'll probably get another ding in this thing one way or another, you're right about that part.

gnarlwinslow

Reaction score
But having said that. You guys are right and the chip doesn't really stop any rockin... At this point it more just chaps my ass that I didn't get any more responses. That bugs me I guess.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Their site specifically advertises that they repair guitars and to email or call for a quote. I definitely don't find it unreasonable that I called them and asked them about a service they provide... I was totally up front and told them exactly what happened. Either way, I'll probably get another ding in this thing one way or another, you're right about that part.

What I'm saying is, you're more than likely going to be able to get this done cheaper and faster than going with Carvin.

If the warranty is already voided I see no benefit in pursuing Carvin's service.

The only time it's really best to go the "authorized" route is when the warranty is still in effect, or would be in effect if done through the company in question. I think that's the more important question.

I know I'd rather get work like this done locally (if I wasn't already the guy who did this stuff themselves :lol:) to skip out on the hassle, risk, and expense of shipping.

You have every right to be ticked off Carvin didn't get back to you ASAP though. From my own experience with them, I'd recommend calling and forgetting they even have a website. :lol:

')