Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know

• Thread starter petereanima
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
HEAVEN & HELL SET TO REVEAL THE DEVIL YOU KNOW

Highly Anticipated New Album From Ronnie James Dio, Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and Vinny Appice To Be Released April 28 From Rhino

LOS ANGELES --Ronnie James Dio, Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and Vinny Appice returned to the stage after 15 years in 2007, launching a triumphant world tour as Heaven & Hell. Revitalized and inspired by their time on the road, the quartet recently returned to the studio, recording the band's first album since 1992's Dehumanizer. The highly anticipated album, THE DEVIL YOU KNOW, will be available from Rhino on April 28.

"Everyone had so much fun playing together that we didn't want it to end,"
says the group. "We started writing together and the songs started flowing like we never stopped. We wound up writing and recording an album that stands up to anything we've ever done. We're really proud of the music and excited for people to hear it."

The dark tone heard on THE DEVIL YOU KNOW is clear from several of the album's song titles, such as "Bible Black," "Rock & Roll Angel," "Breaking Into Heaven," "Atom & Evil" and "Eating The Cannibals."

The seeds of the new album were planted in 2006, when Dio, Iommi, Butler and Appice returned to the studio to record a trio of new songs for Black
Sabbath: The Dio Years, a recent compilation of essential tracks taken from the quartet's four albums together. Soon after, the band launched a run of sold-out shows around the world, electrifying audiences with its malevolent metal fury.

woooohoooo, i cant hardly wait for this! record of the year. :dio:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good for them, the tracks on the best-of were pretty decent:dio: Are they really so unwilling to play the old songs that they're eschewing the Black Sabbath name, though? I'm pretty sure everyone gets the point by now.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
hm, i can understand that to a certain degree, but i really doubt thats the only reason. altough it has been denied later on, there were some issues with the Osbournes when they first announced the "reunion". i guess the other name can keep away some issues.

and yeah, everyone should get the point by now - but when i saw them in 07, you wouldnt belive it - there were really idiots in the crowd, starting the "OZZY! OZZY! OZZY!"-thing...what a shame.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:noway:Thanks, Ozzfest generation! Oh well, the music's what counts. I didn't see them when they came here several months ago as the promoters booted Cavalera Conspiracy for being "too inflammatory" and I couldn't justify the price for one band. Hopefully they'll be back with a support that meets the promoter's standards:noplease:

AZ7

Hello World
Reaction score
I saw Dio on his first three solo album tours and he put on a great show (for back then). I never had the opportunity to catch Sabbath with Dio back then and recently, but I was always a fan of that line up. I used to play Live Evil constantly back then. It was my way to "go to the concert" in my head.
:metal:

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
:noway:Thanks, Ozzfest generation!

exactly. it then turned out that the same people were later then (H&H were opening for Metallica that evening) the same not knowing any song pre-black album, but yelling every word on nothing else matters and the memory remains...

EDIT: there are already some european tour dates, but not one single date in austria. :( i hope i can catch them somewhere. seeing them live was one of the most beautiful gigs i've ever seen. when they played "children of the sea", i had a tear of joy running down my cheek.

May 5 Colombia, Bogota
May 7 Argentina, Buenos Aires, Luna Park
May 8 Chile, Santiago, Movistar Arena
May 10 Brazil, Belo Horizonte, Chevrolet Hall
May 13 Brazil, Brasilia, Ginadsio Nilson Nelson
May 15 Brazil, Sao Paulo, Credicard Hall
May 16 Brazil, Sao Paulo, Credicard Hall
May 17 Brazil, Rio de Janeiro, Citibank Hall Rio

May 30 Russia, Moscow, B-1
May 31 Russia, Moscow, B-1
June 1 Russia, St. Petersburg, New Arena
June 2 Finland, Helsinki, Icehall
June 4 Norway, Oslo, Spektrum
June 6 Sweden, Solvesborg, Sweden Rock Festival
June 8 Germany, Giessen, Hessenhallen
June 9 Germany, Berlin, Zitadelle
June 10 Germany, Bamburg, Jakoarena
June 13 Holland, Bergum, Waldrock Festival
June 14 Germany, Karlsruhe, Europahalle
June 16 Germany, Bonn, Museumplatz
June 17 Switzerland, Zurich, Volkshaus
June 19 France, Clisson, Hellfest
June 26 Belgium, Dessel, Graspop
June 27 Italy, Milan, Gods of Metal

July 30 Germany, Wacken Open Air

Totem_37

Earth's Yellow Sun
Reaction score
I'm really psyched for this. I've seen H&H twice now (first in Ottawa with Down and Megadeth, second in Toronto with Testament, Motorhead and Judas Priest) and H&H were awesome both times. But then again, I'm a huge Dio fan. (Dio>Ozzy in my book)

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
I saw them last year with L.O.G. and Iced Earth and was stunned at how entertaining and vital they were despite me not knowing all their material it made me wonder why they spent the past 10 years pissing around with Ozzy and not making any records.

The reason behind the name change is that Osbourne has a co-ownership to the Black Sabbath name now unlike in the past where it was exclusively Tony's and seeing as everything Ozzy does is really Sharon's decision there's probably a huge money making lawsuit involved if they use the Black Sabbath name, the Osbournes slag Dio off any chance they get and I think it shows what a classy guy Dio is cause he's aware of it but never sinks to their level imo this is because he knows he can annihilate Ozzy's ass any day of the week he is the better singer and a better showman and he certainly doesn't cancel any dates due to "losing his voice"

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
The reason behind the name change is that Osbourne has a co-ownership to the Black Sabbath name now unlike in the past where it was exclusively Tony's and seeing as everything Ozzy does is really Sharon's decision there's probably a huge money making lawsuit involved if they use the Black Sabbath name, the Osbournes slag Dio off any chance they get and I think it shows what a classy guy Dio is cause he's aware of it but never sinks to their level imo this is because he knows he can annihilate Ozzy's ass any day of the week he is the better singer and a better showman and he certainly doesn't cancel any dates due to "losing his voice"

Actually, I'm pretty sure that Iommi still owns 100% of the Sabbath name and could use it for this project if he wanted. Ozzy may have had some kind of veto power when the '90s reunion first happened, but I seem to recall reading that is not the case now.

I believe the reasons for using the H&H name are that Iommi/Butler view (or at least used to view) Sabbath w/Ozzy as still a going concern and didn't want to piss him off, and also that going by H&H frees them from having to play "Iron Man" and "Paranoid" every night. Since Iommi/Butler are the only common connections, it actually makes a lot of sense to do it this way.

Personally, I doubt that they'll ever work with Ozzy again--he seems all but retired now. And he appeared in very poor shape the last time I saw him w/Sabbath at Ozzfest. He could barely move, and his voice was a dull croak. I know he gets antsy at home, but he really ought to focus on keeping those crazy kids of his from going completely off the rails.

BTW, I'm thrilled to death that they're doing this album. The Mob Rules tour was my first ever concert in 1982, and was a major reason why I started playing guitar a few months later.

Reaction score
Nice a new album. I loved Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules. I wasn't the biggest Dehumanizer fan though. I haven't seen Heaven and Hell live but I did see Dio back in 03 when they opened up for Iron Maiden. And I did see Sabbath headline Ozzfest 04. Dio rules!

Bobo

Reaction score
I still remember what my uncle told me over 20 years ago....."Ronnie James Dio is the best fucking metal singer ever!!!! :scream:"

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
Actually, I'm pretty sure that Iommi still owns 100% of the Sabbath name and could use it for this project if he wanted. Ozzy may have had some kind of veto power when the '90s reunion first happened, but I seem to recall reading that is not the case now.

I believe the reasons for using the H&H name are that Iommi/Butler view (or at least used to view) Sabbath w/Ozzy as still a going concern and didn't want to piss him off, and also that going by H&H frees them from having to play "Iron Man" and "Paranoid" every night. Since Iommi/Butler are the only common connections, it actually makes a lot of sense to do it this way.

I am of this belief as well. Tony Iommi owns the Black Sabbath name and it's entirely up to him what he does with it. Dio has been quoted in a number of interviews saying that personally he doesn't care what the band is called, all he cares about is getting back with the band, playing and creating music with people he truly respects and enjoys being with and people know who they are anyway.

As for what Sharon and Ozzy have to say about it, I honestly couldn't give a fuck. Ozzy is a joke nowadays, Sharon is even worse and Dio Sabbath was/is better than Ozzy Sabbath anyway.

Like PeterA said, album of the year, definitely a contender because I don't know of anything else that is coming out that's going to come anywhere close to this.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
i think i have to go to this years Graspop in Belgium...holy shit, this is the friday-line-up:

HEAVEN AND HELL
MÖTLEY CRÜE
WASP
DOWN
PESTILENCE
EXODUS
DREAM THEATER
BLIND GUARDIAN
SAMAEL
TAAKE
THE GATHERING
LAAZ ROCKIT

kherman

Reaction score
Awesome.
Another fan here of the Dio Sabbath era.

I think it's actually pretty cool that they're using Heaven & Hell as the band name.
Better than saying Black Sabbath MK II (or III).

march

Reaction score
I've already got my ticket for June 16 Germany, Bonn, Museumplatz

Might also hit the Graspop festival here in Belgium, but I wanted a "fuller" show so I got that ticket in Germany anyway.

Can't help it, those guys are living legends.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
the album is here. i like it, altough its not as over-the-top-awesome as i wanted it to be. a pretty ogical sequel to "Dehumanizer", very doom-y, but with some really cool straight rocking songs in there - "Neverwhere" is my favourite track up to now.

')