Heavy/Extra Heavy Guitar Pick Recommendations

• Thread starter Louis Cypher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Hey, Hope this is the right place for this question

Simple one I hope, I been playing Dunlop Brass Teckpicks for years, I really wanna try something else, too many choices online, so can anyone recommend something? Extra heavy so like 1.5mm+ only tbh, unless someone has an amazing Heavy recommendation then I'm happy to give that go, but def nothing lighter than a heavy pls

Cheers

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score

Simple one I hope, I been playing Dunlop Brass Teckpicks for years, I really wanna try something else, too many choices online, so can anyone recommend something? Extra heavy so like 1.5mm+ only tbh, unless someone has an amazing Heavy recommendation then I'm happy to give that go, but def nothing lighter than a heavy pls

Cheers
BHL
Winspear
Gravity
Wegen
all of them make thicker picks that hold up quite well in terms of durability (with BHL and Winspear using super durable materials like UHMPWE/Katchin)

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
s-l300.jpg

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score

Cheers
Dang for a second there I thought they started making them in brass. If you still lwant a metal pick try the Dunlop stainless steels.

stevexc

Reaction score
Wiiiiiiiiiiinspeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaar

Thick as you like, and you're supporting a fellow SSO member. Downside is he's currently catching up on a huge backlog.

Necky379

Reaction score
The dark green gator grips, 1.5 I think, are awesome especially with a little carpet sharpening. The one I like better than those are the Hetfield Black Fangs, they come in .94 and 1.xx. I prefer the .94’s, as crazy as it seems they sound better than the thicker ones to me but I’ll play with either.

Humbuck

Can't stop, won't stop
Reaction score
Try some Gravity picks. I love them. 4mm for me and I was just a green tortex guy for decades. I didn't like heavier picks then that until I happened on 3 and 4 and even 6mm picks. They just feel great. Never going back. From time to time you can get 15% off... that's when I buy.

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
I've just changed over to Dunlop Flow 2mm after playing Green Tortex for 20+ years, highly recommend giving them a crack.

watson503

Los Cochinos
Reaction score
3mm Big Stubby are my all-around favorites. I've got a few Gravity Stealths in 3 & 4mm and V-Pick Screamers I really dig.

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
Winspear make a great variety of heavy picks. Can't recommend them enough if that's what you are after.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Thank you all for your recommendations, I have googled all of them and unfortunatley some of them arent available in the UK so I am searching eBay for them, but I will be ordering as many as I can from all the one you have all kindly mentioned. I have Dragonheart & the big stubby's on order right now.

I ordered the Gravity Razor 2.0mm and the Dunlop Petrucci Jazz III's (Watched an Ola Englund video and he was using them) they arrived yesterday and so far I am liking both of them, the gravity with the polished edge is a lovely pick and really nice to play with and in a cool see thru blue too, the Petrucci is smaller than I am used to normally so I need a little more time with that but it seems pretty good and is great for pinch harmonics!

Thanks again all :)

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Dang for a second there I thought they started making them in brass

Your totally right mate, apologise for the confusion, the Teckpicks are aluminum but I always buy the brass coloured ones as they were the only ones where the colour didnt flake off. Habit of calling them brass

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Your totally right mate, apologise for the confusion, the Teckpicks are aluminum but I always buy the brass coloured ones as they were the only ones where the colour didnt flake off. Habit of calling them brass

I liked the Teckpicks but they always seemed to develop burr's on them pretty fast which would end up catching on the strings and it became a real hinderance. At first I though it was just the dented/hammered styled one's. I then tried the black ones which are smooth and do last a little longer, but ultimately suffered the same problems. I do use stainless steel GHS Boomers though so I'm not sure if the difference in material (stainless being harder than aluminium) has anything to do with it. Seem like any string made of steel or nickel woul be harder than aluminium and suffer the same issue though. Not sure if you've ever experienced that.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
I liked the Teckpicks but they always seemed to develop burr's on them pretty fast which would end up catching on the strings and it became a real hinderance. At first I though it was just the dented/hammered styled one's. I then tried the black ones which are smooth and do last a little longer, but ultimately suffered the same problems. I do use stainless steel GHS Boomers though so I'm not sure if the difference in material (stainless being harder than aluminium) has anything to do with it. Seem like any string made of steel or nickel woul be harder than aluminium and suffer the same issue though. Not sure if you've ever experienced that.

You're probably right, that would make sense if the strings are a harder material than the aluminium picks. I found that burring on the coloured tekpicks but not really on the brass coloured ones. Tho even they blunted fairly quick if I played pretty regularly. I'll give those stainless steel ones a go if I can get em. Thanks for the recommendation :)

Latest posts

')