Heavy/Extra Heavy Guitar Pick Recommendations

• Thread starter Louis Cypher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Indigenous

Indigenous
Reaction score
Stone Age picks are pretty heavy and thick. It ended up taking the coating off my strings when I used them though. Also, it's not super pointy, so notes sound slighter scratchier than if you played with a Jazz III or something like that. However, they last forever, being made of stone and all.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Descent

Reaction score
Gravity 2mm worked for me, but lately I've switched to the 1.14mm Kirk Hammett jazz picks and have improved my dexterity for faster passages. Fat picks tend to get stuck and hinder my precision.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I use Cool Picks cat tongue. Whichever the heaviest ones are. They are super cheap, wear nicely, don't leave dust, and stay put in my sweaty hands. I don't know if they are available outside of the USA, though.

Winspear is actually in the UK, though, isn't he? I would think that he'd be the obvious choice.

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
I'd try a Gravity Picks gold series classic pointed in 2.5mm. They are pricey but I think they are on sale right now.

This. I was skeptical whether the gold series would be worth the money but they are truly better feeling/sounding than the acrylic ones.

Plus, with so many shapes and sizes there is something for everyone. After trying a bunch, I’ve settled on the sunrise big mini 2.5 gold series.

jco5055

Reaction score
my current faves are red bear, particularly their lil jazzer model. But pretty much everything comes in a XH gauge option (and is what I use).

Splenetic

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Planet Waves' Black Ice 1.5mm picks. Pretty much the only picks I use.

SSK0909

Reaction score
V-picks make picks up to 12mm thickness. So go nuts :D Most of their picks seem veeeeery gimmicky, but the Snake (pointed) is actually a really great pick.
The Snake pointed + Dunlop Ultex sharp 2mm have been my go to picks for years now.

Bdtunn

Reaction score
Ernie ball prodigy sharps!! I’ve been using the 1.5mm and my picking accuracy has gone through the roof. I used Dunlop sharps for years, but these are a tad smaller and have a sharper machined edge. They take some getting used too but the pay off is massive! In my humble opinion :)

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Does blu chip do thick picks?

Masoo2

Reaction score
Really dig my Hufschmid Mini Anvil XLs but I've also been wanting to find a cheaper alternative as I find them fairly easy to go through and lose all sharpness on point

TheArsonistsDaughter

Reaction score
I’ve used the Dunlop Jazztones for years...they have both regular sizes and small teardrops. I like the 207 myself. I’m fairly certain these were the “gypsy jazz” picks that Petrucci based his new sig picks on...

Latest posts

')