Heavy Metal Soap Opera (The Mike Portnoy vs. Dream Theater Saga)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMetalVenom

Vallz und Veinaz
Reaction score
Jesus Koshchei, was that Labrie screaming? If it is then he should switch to that, since his singing is almost unbearable. The only thing that has kept me from listening to Dream Theater for so long. :/
*awaits shitstorm of neg rep and flaming from fanboys*

Anyway, Portnoy will probably return after a while. Jamming with new people could benefit him and/or Dream Theater in the long run. :)

pineappleman

Why can I not sleep?
Reaction score
Jesus Koshchei, was that Labrie screaming? If it is then he should switch to that, since his singing is almost unbearable. The only thing that has kept me from listening to Dream Theater for so long. :/
*awaits shitstorm of neg rep and flaming from fanboys*

Anyway, Portnoy will probably return after a while. Jamming with new people could benefit him and/or Dream Theater in the long run. :)

Haha, no. That's not him.

Rashputin

Reaction score
the only way any good can come ot of it is if tomas haake joins. that would be very fucking epic

Jupp! That would be #¤"#¤ win.
Haake or Virgil Donati would bring some new flavor, but MP did SO much more than just play drums. He was such a huge part of the live shows, the media stuff, the dvd's, the fanclubs.. everything. He is a true workaholic in every sense of the word, and I think stepping in for MP in DT will be one of the biggest holes to fill in any job ever (except maybe the president of the United States). I Think Haake should stay with Meshuggah though. They have their own thing, and they should keep doing it and blow our minds over and over again.

I grew up with DT. I bought their first album when I was like 12, and I've bought every album and dvd since. I go to all their shows, and I consider myself a huge fan. For the sake of DT and everybody that has followed them through all these years, I hope MP "finds himself" again, and comes back. JP and MP are two of the biggest reasons why I got into playing music. They need to make music together.

Reaction score
Jupp! That would be #¤"#¤ win.
Haake or Virgil Donati would bring some new flavor, but MP did SO much more than just play drums. He was such a huge part of the live shows, the media stuff, the dvd's, the fanclubs.. everything. He is a true workaholic in every sense of the word, and I think stepping in for MP in DT will be one of the biggest holes to fill in any job ever (except maybe the president of the United States). I Think Haake should stay with Meshuggah though. They have their own thing, and they should keep doing it and blow our minds over and over again.

I grew up with DT. I bought their first album when I was like 12, and I've bought every album and dvd since. I go to all their shows, and I consider myself a huge fan. For the sake of DT and everybody that has followed them through all these years, I hope MP "finds himself" again, and comes back. JP and MP are two of the biggest reasons why I got into playing music. They need to make music together.

Haake is a great drummer and all but what would make you think he'd be a good match for DT? That's crazy. And also, Meshuggah are actually still making good music - so no poaching him or I will be mad.

kung_fu

Vulcan Lute God
Reaction score
Haake is a great drummer and all but what would make you think he'd be a good match for DT? That's crazy. And also, Meshuggah are actually still making good music - so no poaching him or I will be mad.

+1
I have a modern drummer with him on the cover from a few years ago where he basically says he couldn't even play in his pre chaosphere style anymore. Also, Meshuggah is the only band he's ever been in and his style is very much a part of their sound. Plus, i think DT will probably want a guy to learn their old material so they'd probably want a fast study with touring experience. I agree that Donati would make a good choice, but i think Charlie Zeleny or maybe Nick Divirglio (spelling?) could work just as well.

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
+1

Personally, I'm glad he didn't stick with DT if he was getting bored, the music would suffer, he would suffer, thus the whole band would suffer.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's all a bunch of fanbois who have never been in a real band reacting like a bunch of children. Bands loose members all the time, and 9 out of 10 times its a lot more bitter and disgusting. I actually think all the DT guys and Mike have handled this VERY well.

And these guys think they're real fans.....:noplease:

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Bands loose members all the time, and 9 out of 10 times its a lot more bitter and disgusting. I actually think all the DT guys and Mike have handled this VERY well.

This. When I left my old band, there was 34985739485x more drama among all the members in the band, which eventually led to a complete band break up, and some hard feelings among some of us... This all has been handled extremely well by DT and MP, and fanbois are just giving unnecessary shit to him while quoting pointless reasons.

The internet should die :noplease:

Opeth666

Reaction score
Idiots complete idiots I feel for the guy, people are calling him a pussy and things because hes pouring his feelings out to make things right, they need to have some sympathy and lighten up, He's a grown man but we all have emotions, some "feel" more than others. props for him for not going into relapse and becoming a raging alcoholic.

Koshchei

Banned
Reaction score
The fanatic is a fickle muse.

Doing everything for your fans is a little like living with an autistic person; They're barely aware of your presence when things are going status quo, and lash out violently when you change something that threatens their schema.

Mike's worked his ass off to keep his fanbase happy, but needs to realize that they ultimately shouldn't matter - not to him and not to his muse. His music should come from himself, and if the public like it, then great. Otherwise, they can fuck off.

The people who matter are the ones you have real relationships with, whose names you know, who will drop everything to help you in a crisis, and who you would do the same for. Not a bunch of frothy mouthed customers who you've shared a brief moment in time with - you on stage, and them flailing around like burning spastics in the pit.

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
....These people really need jobs. It's kind of disgusting how they don't even check facts before being assholes to someone they've never met who they probably got beautiful music from for free.

')