Heavy Metal Soap Opera (The Mike Portnoy vs. Dream Theater Saga)

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
I is old, I'm in my 40's :fawk:

WOW, YOU'RE LIKE BON JOVI OLD!!! :eek::eek::eek:

No wonder you could afford that J.Custom!!!

LOL. j/k. :lol::lol::lol: I sing barbershop music, so some of my buddies are in their 60s-80s. 40's is nothing. (BTW, I'm 26).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

anthonyferguson

Reaction score
Oh, also, I never like the Mike Portnoy lyrics. They were always so elementary. Here's hoping that DT will let John Myung write some more lyrics for the band.

Oh, and also, the mixes that Portnoy produced never had enough bass guitar. Hopefully, John Myung can turn himself up again.

Aren't you forgetting? noone in DT actually knows who he is, they just think he's some guy following them around.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
Is it wrong that at this point I'm more concerned that Dream Theater will now steal someone awesome from a somewhat lesser known band that are actually still writing good albums, than for the whole situation with Portnoy leaving Dream Theater to begin with?

a.k.a. You leave Gavin Harrison alone!!!
2k5fbbb65574.jpg

JP Universe

Giggity
Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty shocked here but highly anticipating the next album..... Hopefully this gives JP and JR even more influence in the band. Also excited to see who is gonna replace the amazing MP!

filipe200x

Custom is better
Reaction score
Yup. He's having more fun playing with Avenged Sevenfold (among other projects), which is understandable. Easier music is always a welcome change of pace after DECADES of...well...Dream Theater.

But, the realization will hit him that A7X will never be able, as a band, and a fixture in modern, popular rock music, to let him stretch his legs as one of the best, and most talented drummers and musicians in music.

On the other side of the story, DT won't be able to find another drummer like him. They'll find guys to cover for him live, and maybe even write some new shit with a different drummer (or 3 or 6), but it won't have the cohesion that can only be established by two decades of camaraderie.

I give it two years. Portnoy will do his thing, release a couple albums with a couple different bands, then find out he is getting bored.

Totally agree with you. A part of me died inside though :noplease:. I'm a huge dream theater fan, got all their cd's and dvd's. I hope what you said happens.

Opeth666

Reaction score
hmm maybe I should go to the A7x show thats here in corpus this weekend and actually smack the guy and tell him to get back in DT...NOW

filipe200x

Custom is better
Reaction score
...I think I just felt my heart break for the first time in a few years. :(

I really hope he ends up going back after stretching his legs, that band is the fuckin world to me, as I'm sure it is to many others.

May the lord of metal hear you my brother. :bowdown:

filipe200x

Custom is better
Reaction score
hmm maybe I should go to the A7x show thats here in corpus this weekend and actually smack the guy and tell him to get back in DT...NOW

It wasn't totally his fault. He just wanted a break, but the other guys didn't agreed, they wanted him now or not anymore. I understand they need the money for a living, but they can't possibly think DT will be the same without MP.
If ruddes or labrie had left the band could still go on, but portnoy, petrucci and myung are irreplaceable.

filipe200x

Custom is better
Reaction score
Pretty shocked here but highly anticipating the next album..... Hopefully this gives JP and JR even more influence in the band. Also excited to see who is gonna replace the amazing MP!

It'll definately be a keyboard/guitar driven record, i bet portnoy was the main head behind the production of the album (even with petrucci co-producing).

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Portnoy's always come across as an egotistical controlling freak to me. It was his direction that pushed them further and further into metal, which is only a part of who they are. He's a great drummer, but there are guys out there that are SO much better and far more creative than he is. I'd honestly like to see them pull in Tomas Hawke or Danny Carry. Two drummers who can keep up and possibly add something new to the band. Hell, I'd even settle for Jojo Meyer. He's totally the wrong guy for the job but it would be an interesting listen even if I'm laughing through the whole album. DT has been a HUGE influence on me as a player, but dear god Portnoy is tired...

(awaits flames)

MarkB

Reaction score
Fuck, I can't believe it's true. :( Portney was like half the band, without him alot of everything is going to fall onto Petrucci's shoulders. Who knows what the next album will sound like now.

mrlespaulman

Reaction score
WHAAAAAAT

I am currently functioning in a similar manner as a mother would upon receiving word of her only son's death. The present reality has yet to set in, and I am residing in my own false reality where Dream Theater is still Petrucci, Myung, and Portnoy.

Please refrain from waking me.

beneharris

Reaction score
Fuck, I can't believe it's true. :( Portney was like half the band, without him alot of everything is going to fall onto Petrucci's shoulders. Who knows what the next album will sound like now.
well with the exception of maybe labrie, (who i still concede is a darn good musician as well and knows his stuff) everybody in the band are AMAZING musicians and players, and its not like MP was the only one who knew what he was doing.

')