Heavy Metal Soap Opera (The Mike Portnoy vs. Dream Theater Saga)

SD83

Reaction score
Here's hoping that MP was who was directing Dream Theater's attempts at being heavier that now
he can do a solo record full with songs like "The dark eternal night"... :hbang:
To be honest, the songs/parts on the last records which I loved the most were the heavy ones (Dark eternal night, the blast beat part in A nightmare to remember, etc). I'm just not that much into their softer side I guess... so if (and to me, it looks like that) MP was kinda the heavy part of DT, well, I guess I will be even less interested in the new record than I was in the current one. In fact, I'm more interested in what Mike will come up with than in who will replace him in DT.
EDIT: I don't know much about who wrote which lyrics, but I do like the ones in "Constant motion". And I don't mind his vocal contributions to "The dark eternal night" either, but if he'd continue to make music and could get a decent singer for the heavy parts... oh yeah! :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

flamingfishman

Reaction score
no mike = more JP and JR input yes? im not really looking forward to that so much... while i love petrucci's stuff, the material on the later DT albums have been more wanky than anything else... and rudess, while being amazing on the keys has never really struck me with anything after 6DOIT. maybe more myung? that would be pretty cool, he's the one one who wrote hell's kitchen wasn't he?

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
no mike = more JP and JR input yes? im not really looking forward to that so much... while i love petrucci's stuff, the material on the later DT albums have been more wanky than anything else... and rudess, while being amazing on the keys has never really struck me with anything after 6DOIT. maybe more myung? that would be pretty cool, he's the one one who wrote hell's kitchen wasn't he?

I would love to hear more Myung (even just raising his level in the mix. And I agree Petrucci's contributions solo-wise are wanky, but I not sure if that was him or Portnoy's suggestion as producer. If you listen to Rudess' solo albums there is a ton of invention and when Petrucci and Rudess play off of each other, there is a lot more interesting stuff going on IMO. Of course I'm writing this while listening to "An evening with John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess" so I'm hearing what's possible...

flamingfishman

Reaction score
I would love to hear more Myung (even just raising his level in the mix. And I agree Petrucci's contributions solo-wise are wanky, but I not sure if that was him or Portnoy's suggestion as producer. If you listen to Rudess' solo albums there is a ton of invention and when Petrucci and Rudess play off of each other, there is a lot more interesting stuff going on IMO. Of course I'm writing this while listening to "An evening with John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess" so I'm hearing what's possible...
ok yea, the petrucci/rudess album is brilliant, i love that one to bits =D but as for just plain DT stuff, rudess just seems to be trying to find new weird sounds on his keys more than anything else.

Mordacain

Reaction score
ok yea, the petrucci/rudess album is brilliant, i love that one to bits =D but as for just plain DT stuff, rudess just seems to be trying to find new weird sounds on his keys more than anything else.

To each their own..I've always been more into progressive than metal so it makes a little more sense for me to dig Rudess. I think his contributions were lacking on the latter (read: heavier) albums because the band (read: MP as producer) tried to shoe-horn him into this more metal backing position. His contributions to Metropolis PT 2 and LTE are phenomenal by comparison.

boni

Reaction score
Chris Pennie is going to replace Mike Portnoy. True story.

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
I can't say I'm sad. Now there's a chance I'll be seeing one of my favorite drummers in a band I actually like :lol:

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
Reading that statement, I kind of get the feeling that maybe Portnoy should have taken a step back in terms of controlling the band. That way, he maybe wouldn't have gotten burnt out and everything. I mean, there are five of them so duties could be split between all of them.

Or they should have let someone else do it. I vote Myung.

Mordacain

Reaction score
Reading that statement, I kind of get the feeling that maybe Portnoy should have taken a step back in terms of controlling the band. That way, he maybe wouldn't have gotten burnt out and everything. I mean, there are five of them so duties could be split between all of them.

Or they should have let someone else do it. I vote Myung.

+1 :agreed: Myung could do great things I think.

To be quite frank, I think Portnoy was as controlling of the band as a way of battling his alcoholism. Obviously that's just an opinion. The reason I think that as I have known quite a few recovering alcoholics and they've all been very controlling after starting recovery. Prior to starting recovery they were not very controlling by nature (at least not publicly). In particular the ones that have gone through AA and 12 step programs exhibited more of this behavior. Just an observation and my own opinion...

Riffer

No Title
Reaction score
The other SE Inspector and I are listenting to Liquid Tension Experiment all day today in Mikes honor :metal:

nolow

Reaction score
For a while now I've been hearing how people want more "Myung", and I believe that it was MP that kinda told JM to back off a little in terms of writing lyrics, maybe we will get what we have been wishing for.

Mordacain

Reaction score
For a while now I've been hearing how people want more "Myung", and I believe that it was MP that kinda told JM to back off a littlein terms of writing lyrics, maybe we will get what we wished for.

Here's hoping :metal:

Of course part me knows this positive conjecture is a way of looking on the bright side, but its better than brooding on it.

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
I just thought of something, maybe Portnoy will, if he goes with A7X, make them proggy, eventually fusing A7X's style with that of DT!

They'll be Dream Sevenfold! :lol:

TheDivineWing22

You've got the touch
Reaction score
I would like to see them pick up Aquiles Priester. I think he would fit decently, or maybe the old Quo Vadis drummer who pretty much worshipped Mike Portnoy.

')