Heavy Metal Soap Opera (The Mike Portnoy vs. Dream Theater Saga)

Wolfv11

Reaction score
This is insane.

This is ridiculous.

This is Disgusting.

First off, Portnoy nearly quit DT awhile back because of the record companies trying to intervene, and now he wants to play full time for a band like Avenged Sevenfold?

Am I the only one who thinks this is asinine?

Wait till the suits and ties tell him he can't have 14 minute long Avenged Sevenfold songs.

He'll either be back, or fade into obscurity.

Dream Theater should get either Terry Bozzio or Virgil Donati.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
It could have been LaBrie. I would have liked DT for once :lol:

Wolfv11

Reaction score
When I saw them at the Beacon, Labrie was not around while the rest of the band signed autographs.

If i had to put money on a member leaving it would of been him....

But Mike??

Well...I do remember overhearing something he said to a fan back at that show.

Fan: I'm still trying to play as fast as you
MP: I'm still trying to catch up to myself

I thought he was just being humble, perhaps he can't play DT stuff anymore?

Wolfv11

Reaction score
I guess these three have a lot more in common now.

lars-ulrich-mtvicon-metallica-arrivals-0LonQP.jpg

mikePortnoy.jpg

davidsilveria.jpg

All stabbed their fans in the back

Anthony

Banned
Reaction score
Anyway, on the subject

Good. I'm glad he left. He needed to.

Then maybe Petrucci will leave and take the rest of the cheese with him. And then Ruddess will leave and continue to pretend he's a wizard. Then Myung will leave and start another band, where he will let his beta personality get in the way of expressing his musical vision again. And then Labrie will leave and continue to make good music.

All stabbed their fans in the back
How old are you?

asmegin_slayer

cali-cornia bluffer
Reaction score
This is insane.

This is ridiculous.

This is Disgusting.

First off, Portnoy nearly quit DT awhile back because of the record companies trying to intervene, and now he wants to play full time for a band like Avenged Sevenfold?

Am I the only one who thinks this is asinine?

Wait till the suits and ties tell him he can't have 14 minute long Avenged Sevenfold songs.

He'll either be back, or fade into obscurity.

Dream Theater should get either Terry Bozzio or Virgil Donati.

People change there opinions over time, thats human nature and it will happen to any of us. I doubt he'll be a permanent drummer for Avenge Sevenfold, he was only there to fill in. Also, he has plans to work with Mikael from opeth on a side album.

Wolfv11

Reaction score
How old are you?

Probably not as old as you. Was that your point in bringing that up?
Age=Intelligence?

Anyway;

What I meant by that was....

Lars attempting to sue fans for doing something his band promoted in the 80's.
David leaving a band that many people found to be therapeutic (at least when they were teenagers)
And Portnoy leaving a band that was respectable to go and play sell out bullshit? Is he going to give himself a creepy name too?

Dehumanize

Banned
Reaction score
How has Portnoy leaving Dream Theater stabbed anybody in the back? It's his decision, he's not obligated to write music for a bunch of nerds.

Poho

Reaction score
I think the only things that makes me sad about this is that Portnoy was a huge part of the image and spirit of DT, and that he is leaving behind his two best friends on the planet (JM and JP). DT won't really be DT anymore.

But at the same time, this makes me 100% sure that their next album is going to totally kick ass. There are assuredly at least a hundred drummers in the world who no one has heard of who can play all of Portnoy's parts blindfolded, so filling his shoes won't be an issue. Replacing him creatively will not be possible, but again, I think it's for the best for their sound.

Dehumanize

Banned
Reaction score
Probably not as old as you. Was that your point in bringing that up?
Age=Intelligence?

Anyway;

What I meant by that was....

Lars attempting to sue fans for doing something his band promoted in the 80's.
David leaving a band that many people found to be therapeutic (at least when they were teenagers)
And Portnoy leaving a band that was respectable to go and play sell out bullshit? Is he going to give himself a creepy name too?
You have the logic of an angry 12 y/o.

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
How about you all stop flaming each other like stupid children and keep us from turning into HC. ;)

Wolfv11

Reaction score
What I think was ridiculous as well was that MP seemed to imply that since he was taking a break that the rest of the band should as well.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
What I think was ridiculous as well was that MP seemed to imply that since he was taking a break that the rest of the band should as well.

Well you have an opinion... Why can't Portnoy?

And what's so wrong with taking breaks? Sometimes ppl get burnt out. Take a break, recharge your batteries and go at it again if you so choose. Your will is not Portnoy's will young grasshopper...

liamh

Geek-chic
Reaction score
This is absolutely shocking news to come home to.
Mike Portnoy brought so much creativity to metal drumming. And I still think he is 100% the best metal drummer out there.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
LaBrie should quit, instead of MP. LOL :lol:

Seriously, now, I don't think it has anything to do with Avenged Sevenfold. He just want to play different stuff, he wants to rest a little. He devoted all his life to DT and it's normal to human beings to want changes sometimes. Everyone knows that. So, I won't blame the guy. If he's happy about his decision, fans should just support him as a person and not be selfish about it. True, it fucking sucks, just like when Christian Alvestam left Scar Symmetry, or when Bruce left Maiden, but they are all human beings and have their own aspirations.

asmegin_slayer

cali-cornia bluffer
Reaction score

But I've come to the conclusion that the DT machine was starting to burn me out...and I really needed a break from the band in order to save my relationship with the other members and keep my DT spirit hungry and inspired.

We have been on an endless write/record/tour cycle for almost 20 years now (of which I have overseen EVERY aspect without a break) and while a few months apart from each other here & there over the years has been much needed and helpful, I honestly hoped the band could simply agree with me to taking a bit of a "hiatus" to recharge our batteries and "save me from ourselves"...

Sadly, in discussing this with the guys, they determined they do not share my feelings and have decided to continue without me rather than take a breather...I even offered to do some occasional work throughout 2011 against my initial wishes, but it was not to be...

Don't know what your version of "taking a break" means but he clearly said that he wants to take a break from DT itself.

20 years of doing that really begs for something new and creative. Even if that means playing/touring with avenge sevenfold.

liamh

Geek-chic
Reaction score
*cough* Bobby Jarzombek *cough* Replacement *cough*

_detox

lurkin'.
Reaction score

I've just read the original statement from Portnoy and not this whole thread, so you'll have to forgive me if I missed an update.

But where the hell did MP actually say he was going to play full time in Avenged Sevenfold?

I'm not sure where you get off deciding who's respectable and who's not. And this is coming from someone who is not a fan of Avenged Sevenfold and not particularly interested in DT's current output either.

')