Heavy Metal Soap Opera (The Mike Portnoy vs. Dream Theater Saga)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaKo´s Tethan

Reaction score
fuck, I have in plan go to a show of DT (are really expensive for the distance here...) oh fuck, bad news.

LorenzoD

vidya gaems
Reaction score
They've been going in (IMHO) the wrong direction for awhile and perhaps James LaBrie, given the quality of his own work, shouldn't be bearing the blame for everything that DT doesn't do well. I think they need to stop pretending to be a heavier band than they're capable of being and get back to basics. Maybe they should get Gavin Harrison in the fold so they can have a tasteful progressive rock presence in the band.

This. The last couple of albums DT has put out has disappointed me and as much as it saddens me that MP left the band, I'm happy to hear DT is moving on. I'm excited to see what path they will take next.

...At least this means no more of Portnoy's growling vocals for now :lol:

MaKo´s Tethan

Reaction score
I just tell the news to my girlfriend by msn, (she only likes slow sons from them, like hollow years) and her first reaction was:eek:h! why not the singer leaves the band? :rofl:

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Not nearly as devastated as some people here. Sure, it sucks. But shit like this happens. I'm sure it will work itself out in time. If not, listen to your old DT albums. Fuck, there's 25 years worth.

I found out that mike I going with avenged sevenfold and he has the allias of mike darkness

:rofl:

Key_Maker

9V inside
Reaction score
... Or at least Rudess :lol:

This sucks, it sucks even more knowing that he is going with those kids but may be we will be save from live shows of DT on the next months (Labrie live perfomance :noplease:)

:fawk:

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
Well this surely does suck, but maybe these guys should take some time away from each other and pursue some differnt creative avenues to "recharge" the juices.
Might be just what they need.
As a replacemnt for Portnoy????? Mike Mangini would be perfect.

Razzy

[10]
Reaction score
Well this surely does suck, but maybe these guys should take some time away from each other and pursue some differnt creative avenues to "recharge" the juices.
Might be just what they need.
As a replacemnt for Portnoy????? Mike Mangini would be perfect.

Mike Mangini is fucking amazing.

bjjman

Reaction score
Dream Theater have been a huge influence on me since I discovered them in the mid 90s. I always considered Mike to be a huge part of the band so I'm really sad to read this. I'm just glad I saw them both times they've toured here in Australia.

Hopefully they find someone else who can help drive the music like Portnoy but part of me will probably always want to see him rejoin.

')