Heavy Metal Soap Opera (The Mike Portnoy vs. Dream Theater Saga)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
i hope that peter wildoer gets the spot

It would kinda make sense, being as he drummed and growled on James LaBrie's new solo album. He's certainly got the chops.

Maybe he could re-record some of Portnoy's awful grunting. :lol:

prh

Plini
Reaction score
according to rumours (who knows/cares) wildoer didnt get it, nor did virgil donati

but he would be a sick fit, hes got the prog metal chops for sure and could take backing vocals and DT's metal side that one step further

Lon

drop it like its G#!
Reaction score
It would kinda make sense, being as he drummed and growled on James LaBrie's new solo album. He's certainly got the chops.

:yesway:

glassmoon0fo

Some Say...
Reaction score
harrison, wildoer, and donati are all out of the running apparently.....damn im losing hope for the turnout of this whole thing :noplease:

WickedSymphony

Reaction score

Or they could just be removed altogether.

Also, regardless of who the new drummer is, I'm really curious to see the band dynamics on stage next tour. Portnoy was easily the frontman of the whole thing so I wanna see what changes there.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
i was hoping for Jarzombek, Mangini is great though.

Either way, lets not forget that there were four other people in the band other than Portnoy who have been helping to create shitty music over the last decade.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
harrison, wildoer, and donati are all out of the running apparently.....damn im losing hope for the turnout of this whole thing :noplease:

Geez, you know when you've eliminated 3 drummers of that caliber, whoever they picked must be absolutely stellar.

Gene Hoglan? Dave Lombardo? Bobby Jarzombek? C'mon!

Islandjam2990

Reaction score
I heard that Dream Theater was just gonna break up, and they were gonna go on as Nightmare Cinema once again.

'Trooch da drummah!

Xodus

Reaction score
Lars Ulrich. Then Portnoy joins Metallica, but not full time, just to get a break from A7X.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Harrison didn't audition and neither did Jarzombek. Not sure they were interested at all to start with.

Curious, what is your source of information regarding who auditioned?

Kyo

Myung at Heart
Reaction score
I won't be getting into those as some people have sadly proven to have a hard time being discreet about these things.

Disregarding any sources and potential "final seven" lists floating around, Jarzombek was in South America at the time of the auditions. And quite frankly, the idea that a drummer like Harrison would leave his very successful current band to join DT for what is quite likely to be just a temporary thing just doesn't fly. Common sense, people.

')