Heavy Metal Soap Opera (The Mike Portnoy vs. Dream Theater Saga)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
I can see the outcome now, Dream theater force to sacrifice 2/3 of their name to the 1/3 of founding members that left and will now be known as

rEm thEtR

decypher

Reaction score
Joking, right?

I know Charlie has a more solid voice and maybe better musicianship but can't stand his voice.

The singer part of DT, can be debatable though.

Not really. Listen to Killing Hand - or Light Fuse and Get Away - amazing vocal lines. I don't get the comparisons to Geddy Lee or other high pitched singers as he really sounds very unique. I loved WDADU when it was released, it was right on the peak of that prog metal wave with bands like Sieges Even, WatchTower, Fates Warning etc. releasing amazing albums, DT were different with a very present keyboarder (which again opened my mind for Marillion and all that other prog stuff). WDADU is up there with other prog metal classics like "perfect symmetry" or "control and resistance" (and for that matter I always thought that their status as "prog metal pioneers" is plain false)
I would have loved to see Images and Words recorded with Charlie. I dislike LaBrie's stage presence, I don't like his articulation, it's not bad enough that I'd not listen to their new album, it just makes me sigh all the time "could have been...."... but it is what it is. And I respect people that don't like Charlie or WDADU, I just think that both are underrated - but then I also thought that DT were a band that had nothing to do with the usual business drama :lol:

Sorry for the long reply, I know I appear like a progarchives-nerd.

AySay

Banned
Reaction score
That lawsuit...:noplease: How disgusting is that bullshit? Really shows his true colors.

2 things I learned.

Portnoy = Stupidwhinymotherfuckertwofacedassholecunt

Petrucci = Has a nice pool. :agreed:

Lon

drop it like its G#!
Reaction score
Actually, people get paid all the time because other people are using their work to generate revenue, although mike maybe has gone a bit too far in claiming the name dream theater, but am i the only one who thinks that he has somehow of a legitimate right to get some financial compensation from the revenue the band generates with the work he majorly contributed to create?

(and i think i am right under the assumption there was no amicable agreement between the parties involved)

Slunk Dragon

Gear Nerder
Reaction score
2mmyakg.jpg
:lol::lol::lol:

Oh how grand the internet is! :lol::lol::lol:

Slunk Dragon

Gear Nerder
Reaction score
Ok, as hilarious as it is, that may be taking it a bit too far.

To be honest when Portnoy first broke up with Dream Theater, I could accept the creative differences and the varying in goals. Sure he probably vented in an interview or two, but I think it would have been long enough for this man to let it go. Yeah it's a band he started, but he didn't want to be in it anymore, and then he wasn't allowed back in because the band was moving on and had already gotten themselves another drummer by then.

But Portnoy suing Dream Theater, minus Mangini, for whatever reason isn't exactly something I'd call a respectable move on his part. I can imagine he's upset, pissed off, etc etc, but why the hell would you sue your former band mates? IMO he always seemed a bit egocentric, but when you're part of a massively success prog-metal outfit like Dream Theater, you have some room to gloat. Now... I really can't fathom what the hell goes through a man's head like his.

Plus it's the internet, do you think people are really going to keep it civil forever? Someone's got to piss in the soup eventually.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I think it's now safe to say that I dislike Mike Portnoy. I always kept hoping for the best, and liked to assume he was being genuine... And, somehow, I still am hopeful to see this whole thing come to a happy ending and DT being good buddies with MP once again. But now that scenario is extremely unlike, if not impossible, to become reality. As a "Dickfuck," he truly stands.

Now it's just a matter of time to see which band member gets raped by a psychopathic fan right outside of their homes... I agree that court cases are a matter of public record, but putting all of those addresses online knowing how the internet is and how big the fanbase of these boys is... :ugh:... But oh well.

With that said, I'm off to get some popcorn, maybe some nachos, and one of these http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__NN6L_0B4b4/TS2XIpSLezI/AAAAAAAAECg/KSe_WHJecbM/s1600/beer-hat.jpg

thedonal

Reaction score
You know. I'm still going to withhold judgement.

We've no idea what was going through Mike's mind- I can imagine he was amazingly upset by the whole affair and people can tend to act rather irrationally in that situation, as much as the band were very upset when he quit.

It's just a big messy divorce with the webnet fanning the flames...

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
I can see the outcome now, Dream theater force to sacrifice 2/3 of their name to the 1/3 of founding members that left and will now be known as

rEm thEtR

Wouldn't that be funny if they started touring as Nightmare Cinema again? :lol::lol::lol:

Repner

Reaction score
Is he in a band these days? My buddy prefers him as well, so I've heard bits and pieces of the old stuff.
He had a career selling cars after he left. After doing the When Dream And Day Reunite anniversary show, he decided to get back into music and did a trilogy of concept albums.

')