Heavy pop-punk mix/song critique please!

• Thread starter aolol
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

aolol

Reaction score
https://soundcloud.com/daouwu/happy-days2

Just finished my first complete song, and I'm really curious as to what you more experienced people think of it. Both the mix and the song itself!

The drums are all superior drummer, and I'm not the best at coming up with good drum beats :lol:
Guitars are pod farm/sperimental impulses
Bass is just down pitched guitar

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MoshJosh

Reaction score
Sounds pretty good to me, I feel as though you could make the intro a bit shorter but that's just my taste

Alder

Reaction score
For better or worse, this sounds exactly how I'd expect a metalhead playing pop punk would sound :p

So yeah, for this style, you really need to consider whether or not the noodliness and super-clean djent production is what you *really* want. If so, double down on it - I'd say an indulgently wanky solo could definitely kick this up in that direction, and metal-y easycore like this can always use a good old-fashioned 808-kick-infused breakdown as a bridge before the final chorus, it'll give a more visceral quality as well as providing contrast and dynamics for the cleaner, riffier stuff.

If you want to try for something more direct, I'd say go full 90's - go for a cleaner, janglier tone on the lead parts and overall everything needs to be rougher - tape saturation sims, a less modern metal tone, some reverb thrown in to make things a little warmer. Think "overdriven" rather than "distorted".

Either way, the main factor will be vocals - obviously this song structure is built for them, and without them, this sounds a little impersonal and indistinct, I guess? Either way, spend a bunch of time working on the vocal melodies, maybe build a lead line around complimenting them and get someone with a strong voice, maybe with a touch of grit in their voice. I might also make the drums a little more driving and less four-to-the-floor, building more of it around d-beats or skank beats might help lurch it along a little more gracefully.

aolol

Reaction score
Sounds pretty good to me, I feel as though you could make the intro a bit shorter but that's just my taste

Thanks!

For better or worse, this sounds exactly how I'd expect a metalhead playing pop punk would sound :p

So yeah, for this style, you really need to consider whether or not the noodliness and super-clean djent production is what you *really* want. If so, double down on it - I'd say an indulgently wanky solo could definitely kick this up in that direction, and metal-y easycore like this can always use a good old-fashioned 808-kick-infused breakdown as a bridge before the final chorus, it'll give a more visceral quality as well as providing contrast and dynamics for the cleaner, riffier stuff.

If you want to try for something more direct, I'd say go full 90's - go for a cleaner, janglier tone on the lead parts and overall everything needs to be rougher - tape saturation sims, a less modern metal tone, some reverb thrown in to make things a little warmer. Think "overdriven" rather than "distorted".

Either way, the main factor will be vocals - obviously this song structure is built for them, and without them, this sounds a little impersonal and indistinct, I guess? Either way, spend a bunch of time working on the vocal melodies, maybe build a lead line around complimenting them and get someone with a strong voice, maybe with a touch of grit in their voice. I might also make the drums a little more driving and less four-to-the-floor, building more of it around d-beats or skank beats might help lurch it along a little more gracefully.

Hahah really appreciate the feedback dude! I'm a big fan of the bulb, haunted shores and sithu aye production style and riffage. Not sure if thats what I portrayed here though :lol:
I tried to have a breakdown in it at first but it felt kind of forced, if you know what I mean.
As you said, this song was made to have vocals on it. Just looking for someone to do vocals now.

Noxon

Is a Lurker
Reaction score
I really get a Mark Holcomb vibe out of it. I like it, man. I am a sucker for super melodic riffage. As far as a mix critique, I'm not any kind of a producer. I am just starting out at this. With that in mind, it sounds good to me :lol: The other guys are correct, it begs for some sort of anthemic vocals and a shreddy type of solo. Good work, dude. I would definitely listen to more like this from you.

Edit: just saw what you said about being a bulb/haunted shores fan. Nice!

aolol

Reaction score
I really get a Mark Holcomb vibe out of it. I like it, man. I am a sucker for super melodic riffage. As far as a mix critique, I'm not any kind of a producer. I am just starting out at this. With that in mind, it sounds good to me :lol: The other guys are correct, it begs for some sort of anthemic vocals and a shreddy type of solo. Good work, dude. I would definitely listen to more like this from you.

Edit: just saw what you said about being a bulb/haunted shores fan. Nice!

I appreciate this so much! Thank you!

If anyone want to have a go at mixing this, please be my guest.
Here's a .rar file with the stems
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/83459338/happy days mix.rar

aolol

Reaction score
....and the tempo is.....(?) :lol:
edit: 180, right!

definitely givin it a try man :D, would like try a modern metal mix and a more ''organic'' one

180 yes!
Feel free to change the drum beats and bass riffs. Can't wait to hear!

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
180 yes!
Feel free to change the drum beats and bass riffs. Can't wait to hear!

little preview for ya, still haven't got around to change anything in the song itself, but tell my how you feel about the mix

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/107519405/Mezclas/happydays preview.wav

Im not sure about the guitar tone though, IMO, it sounds a bit more natural than yours (not so harsh on the highs-mids and a tad less nasal), but Im not sure if this is what the music calls for

aolol

Reaction score
little preview for ya, still haven't got around to change anything in the song itself, but tell my how you feel about the mix

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/107519405/Mezclas/happydays preview.wav

Im not sure about the guitar tone though, IMO, it sounds a bit more natural than yours (not so harsh on the highs-mids and a tad less nasal), but Im not sure if this is what the music calls for

Awesome! Definitely sounds a bit less harsh as you said. Maybe a a day to remember sort of production style would work?

TallestFiddle

Reaction score
Really digging this style. I love the guitar tone and production, definitely reminds me of your influences you mentioned. Is this vst amp sim?

bouVIP

Reaction score
Woah I really like this! Like Noxon said, I really get a Mark Holcomb vibe in the best way from this. Also really like the balance between the pop punk stuff with the slightly heavier parts.

ZachK

Ronda Rousey Fanboy
Reaction score
Reminds me of TSSF mixed with more melodic bits I really dig it man!

Maybe cut the intro a little bit. Make the fade a little shorter and it'll make it more intense imo

Latest posts

')