"Heavy" riffs in non-metal songs

• Thread starter groph
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Fail for the folks who're putting up shit like Kyuss & Electric Wizard as they're the bastard great grandchildren of Black Sabbath and Led Zep. I'll get on that bandwagon: "Buried at Sea" and the first 30 seconds from the "Migration" album or something. :noway:

I think Massive Attack is heavy as fuck, especially for a trip hop band :lol:

(1.50)

(around 1.25)

Live they are retardedly heavy. Very very very heavy. Highly recommended.

In fact a lot of electronica has nasty shit going on, although a lot of that is beat related. Gabba, breakcore, general silliness. You've also got dub, a genre that I fucking loathe but it is heavy and slow as fuck. Industrial? So much to choose from.

Classical? Opera? This = heavy... yes, an obvious choice but still:

Riffs? Um... well certainly the first half ;) And 5:40, etc, etc.

sytraxiplague

Reaction score
Basically what Voivod created their whole style after:

and

^
The build up at 7:40 and the part at 11:20 have me headbanging every time..

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
NIN has a lot of hard-hitting stuff:

this Audioslave song has quite a heavy sound. They always have an amazing drive and energy, but we're talking HEAVY here, right?

this song by Soundgarden is more in stoner/sludge territory:

idunno

Reaction score
+ 1000 for kings X and soundgarden.

Right after the spoken part in the beginning, punches my nuts every time!!

Adeamus

sucks.
Reaction score

One of my professors in college was all about the Maroon 5 and I just laughed and thought of him as an old man and went back to blasting Dimmu Borgir.

Couple years after graduating from school I heard this song and was blown away at how hard it hits. I honestly can now say that Maroon 5 are one of my absolute favorite bands.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
I've been rockin' the Dogman disc for the past week (again) in my car. Fucking LOVE that cd.

But really, how are they NOT metal? The vocals aren't what you'd call metal, but man, with the guitar/bass tones...the heaviness of the songs, I can't see how King's X is *not* metal.

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
I always thought "Creep" by Radiohead had a pretty heavy chorus riff:

Also, "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" by The Beatles is fucking heavy.

So is "Helter Skelter"

Pretty much any song by HUM. They were fucking awesome, and always had heavy riffs.

Riffer

No Title
Reaction score
+ 1000 for kings X and soundgarden.

Right after the spoken part in the beginning, punches my nuts every time!!
Ahhh that intro is so badass. I will always love this band until I die. SO much groove and great song writing.

I've been rockin' the Dogman disc for the past week (again) in my car. Fucking LOVE that cd.

But really, how are they NOT metal? The vocals aren't what you'd call metal, but man, with the guitar/bass tones...the heaviness of the songs, I can't see how King's X is *not* metal.
I guess they can be classified in metal but I figured he was talking about what most people would call metal and I think most would call Kings X just rock and not metal. If that makes any sense :scratch:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

1:21 - 1:31 in Down Deep Into the Pain sounds pretty damn heavy, especially with Devin's screaming. Also, Bad Horsie, gets pretty heavy and sludgy.

Latest posts

')