Hello Baby! (Bulb Patch-ish X3, Addictive Drums, FLS8)

GATA4

Banned
Reaction score
Hey dudes!

Couldn't sleep last night so I decided to craft this little bit. I'm using the Bulb patch with some DAW EQ, and I'm really surprised at how djenty it can sound when layered. I promise I'll stop being cheap and start posting actual songs down the road haha :). The guitar I used was tuned to drop C, and I just used the whammy bar to create the pitch shift effect (it was very challenging to pick with one hand and operate the whammy bar with the other hand :lol:).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17435531/HeyBabyGrooveBulbDist.mp3

Comments and critiques welcome :wavey:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
The drums sound really muddy, like they're stuck behind a wall of soggy flesh :metal: It could be that they are just too quiet, but I suspect more of an eq issue. The overheads especially could use a high pass set at about 150-200...maybe. The snare overall just needs some work. Maybe try working with a different one.

The guitars are sounding quite nice though. Nice and tight :yesway:

GATA4

Banned
Reaction score
The drums sound really muddy, like they're stuck behind a wall of soggy flesh :metal: It could be that they are just too quiet, but I suspect more of an eq issue. The overheads especially could use a high pass set at about 150-200...maybe. The snare overall just needs some work. Maybe try working with a different one.

The guitars are sounding quite nice though. Nice and tight :yesway:

:lol: ohhhh Tree. Thanks for the feedback man :). I feel like I need your ears....which headphones/speakers do you use? I do agree that MOST of the drums sound muddy, except the kick...do you think that's correct? It seems to me that the kick is rather clear, but the cymbals and the MOTHERFLIPPING SNARE are still being eaten alive by something. It's so funny that you recommended me to use another snare because I used a different one in this recording :lol: :wallbash::wallbash:. It's really kicking my ass, this snare issue...maybe that's just what I get for using AD instead of SD. I will put in your recommendations though.

Thanks for the compliment on the guitars :wavey:

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
I'm using some rather mediocre near-fields, but for what I payed for them I couldn't be happier. Alesis M1Active 520's and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro headphones.

I'm hearing a bit too much midrange in the kick which is making blend with the guitars. Try adding a tiny, tiny amount of 120-150Hz-ish frequencies to it. Also play around with the 5KHz area to get more of the metal click, and then a high-shelf around 10-12KHz to make it more "wet" sounding.

I don't know if you have the option to do this in AD but maybe turn the snare wires (bottom) down a tad. Maybe try eqing it with a high shelf in the same area as the kick 10-12KHz. That should help it get a nice "bite".

I hope this helps some! :cheers:

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
I agree on the kick, it needs less mids, I usually like to cut anything past 150hz, up until about 1k, and get some more 5k + in there to get that good click. Like Tree said.
Guitars are good, they feel just a tad fizzy, maybe try cutting around 350 -400hz to get rid of a bit of mud, and maybe bump up around 1kish to get a bit more clarity.

Also the synthy bits are much louder than the rest of the song. Sort those things out and it will be sweet as man! :yesway:

GATA4

Banned
Reaction score
I'm using some rather mediocre near-fields, but for what I payed for them I couldn't be happier. Alesis M1Active 520's and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro headphones.

I'm hearing a bit too much midrange in the kick which is making blend with the guitars. Try adding a tiny, tiny amount of 120-150Hz-ish frequencies to it. Also play around with the 5KHz area to get more of the metal click, and then a high-shelf around 10-12KHz to make it more "wet" sounding.

I don't know if you have the option to do this in AD but maybe turn the snare wires (bottom) down a tad. Maybe try eqing it with a high shelf in the same area as the kick 10-12KHz. That should help it get a nice "bite".

I hope this helps some! :cheers:

I agree on the kick, it needs less mids, I usually like to cut anything past 150hz, up until about 1k, and get some more 5k + in there to get that good click. Like Tree said.
Guitars are good, they feel just a tad fizzy, maybe try cutting around 350 -400hz to get rid of a bit of mud, and maybe bump up around 1kish to get a bit more clarity.

Also the synthy bits are much louder than the rest of the song. Sort those things out and it will be sweet as man! :yesway:

Thanks for the tips dudes. I updated the mix and I believe we've made progress. Added compression to the snare, because it wasn't on before :ugh:. Took some lows out of the gits and boosted some mids and mid-highs. Added overhead to basically all drum pieces to let the kit breathe a bit. Here's the updated version if anyone cares to check it out:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17435531/HeyBabyGrooveBulbDistDrumGuitarEdit1.wav

On my next recording venture, I'm going to split my AD kit into separate tracks (snare, toms, kick, cymbals...cowbell) so hopefully I can gain more control over it and kick its ass instead of it kicking mine :lol:.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
Sounds much better! :yesway: Definitely start putting all of the kit pieces on separate tracks. It will make such a huge difference. Just for your future reference, when you do so, put some reverb on the snare. You'll be surprised at how much better it sounds.

Also try recording bass with your tracks, or at least a pitch shifted guitar. Since you're using a Pod you can make a patch using the bass amp models to make it sound a bit more authentic. Bass is essential in any mix. It will add depth and most importantly BAWLS :cool:

GATA4

Banned
Reaction score
Hey thanks man! Couldn't have done it without you.

And, yes, you caught me :cool:. I sure didn't add bass to this one haha. It will be seeing a bright future, though.

Latest posts

')