Hello From The SF Bay Area!

• Thread starter Demonbrn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Demonbrn

Reaction score
I've been a member for a couple days and feel it's fitting to finally introduce myself. My name is Brandon, I've been self taught guitarist for about 17 years, and not nearly as good as I should be. I never picked up on scales and soloing (I really need to get some lessons!), but have writen some decent tunes (not tooting my own horn, just what I've been told).

My gear has been budget or gifted, which are (no seven or eight strings yet, hopefully soon);

Hohner L75 with 2 double Symour Duncans and grover tuners and a cap to give a deeper tone (picked it up at a garage sale for $25 and added the pickups and tuner heads)

Kramer Stryker 100st (first electric given to me by my uncle)

Fender Strat Squire Pro-tone series black with gold colored hardware (x-mas present)

Ibanez Artwood acoustic '82 (Picked up at a garage sale with a spider bass for $120)

Samick Acoustic (another gift)

And a Crate practice amp (used to have a cab, but it was stolen :erk: )

My style is mostly rhythm ( I can sing and play ) mixed with metal and prog. I've writen around 50 plus songs over the years, but only a handfull that I've actually considered decent enough to play for people. I've moved so much that it's hindered any chance at putting a band together (let alone the gear limitations). My inspirational bands and albums are as follows (in no particular order);

King Diamond - House of God
Metallica - Kill 'em All through And Justic for all
Iron Maiden - Powerslave was the biggest for me
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Trivium - Shogun (recent)
Tool - Aenima
Judas Priests - Sad Wings of Destiny
Bruce Dickenson - Accident of Birth
Megadeth - Rust in Peice
Mercyful Fate - In the Shadows
Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
Testament - Practice what you Preach
Dethklok - great lulz with some great music
Rammstein
Slipknot
Clint Mansell
Alice in Chains
All that Remains
Corrosion of Conformity
Cream
Guns n' Roses
Lamb of God
Mastodon
The Misfits
Mudvayne
The Offspring
Pearl Jam
APC
The Refreshments
Rush
Sevendust
The Smashing Pumpkins
STP
SoaD
White Zombie

And that is just what I can think of right now, lol. So hopefully I can bring somthing here and also learn a bit more. My hohner is tuned to C Standard right now (and somtimes drop tune it to, I think it is A#), so I do want a 7 string eventually, just need the funds, but an actual amp is more imperative right now. :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Might-is-Right

As a Lion...
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. If you hang around a bit you'll find there is a pretty good representation from the bay area on this board.

Demonbrn

Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome, look forward to getting to know everyone. Must say guitar forums are always hard, since I'm self taught, I know bare minimum about guitars and gear. And since I don't induce the torture of 'window' shopping, I never know what is what, lol.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Welcome. :) What sort of things are you looking to learn?

You listed some good bands there! Is it the metal side of prog specifically that you're into? I know a lot of people were put off Mastodon when they became more prog and less metal.

Demonbrn

Reaction score
What I listen to is mostly metal, but what I actually write varies. I've got a few songs that have up to 20 different parts with numerous tempo changes, and a few that are set beat and maybe 3-6 parts all together. I got some scratch tracks on myspace music. I put them up on there to make it easier to share them, instead of using bandwidth to send them to someone everytime.

Hostility in the Womb | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos

The quality isn't great, and the rendering for some reason in places threw the samples off in timing, and as for the drums :facepalm: couldn't ever seem to get the drum machine in Ableton Live 6 to cooperate. And I could never get the tracks to balance without clipping, so sounds as if you're listening to them from another room inside a box, lol. But they're scratch tracks... that took WAY to long to make.

Here are a couple songs I threw on youtube, the quality isn't as good and one of my songs I messed up in and was to lazy to re-record, lol. It was recorded with my Moto Droid.

YouTube - ‪Stgdemon's Channel‬‏

As for what I want to learn, right now I'm just trying to see what keeps people motivated in practicing scales and getting fast with playing and linking them. I get bored with them really fast and can never stick with them long enough to get good with using them. I've mostly practice Pentatonic Scales and a couple others (can't recall the names).

As for Mastadon, I've only really heard 'Leviiathan', lol. A buddy bought me the album, and have had it in my playlist since.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Leviathan's a great album. Probably my favourite of theirs. Probably most people's favourite.

The thing to keep you going with practising scales is to apply them musically. Playing up and down every scale will be boring but you can make it interesting by using them and that way you'll learn their uses and limits much better than you would from just experiencing one aspect. My book is about this sort of thing: being creative on guitar. PM me if you want to chat more.

Demonbrn

Reaction score
That is exactly my problem, since I only really know (I have to referance it now since I haven't touched it in a few months) is the pentatonic scale forms, and all I can really do with them is blues I also have a problem tying them together. I need to get a book and just devote time to running through some different forms.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
You can download the sample chapters for free from the link in my sig. :) PM me if you're interested in more or want me to go over anything in it.

')