Hello to all!! and Carvin question

jamesboyd

Lord Boyd
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm james, from New Zealand (live in melbourne australia)
Friends with Zorran on here.and know a few others.

Engineer, gear nerd, guitar whore etc :cool:

Anyway add me on myspace and or msn as it's fantastic to talk with like minded people.

Onto the question..........I'm going with a carvin dc727 very shortly and am wondering what your thoughts are on alder/ebony vs swamp ash/ebony vs swamp ash/maple

At the moment I'm thinking of swamp ash body and ebony fretboard (replacing pups with nailbombs for a quassi-blackmachine type set-up)

It will be regular hard-tail.

I'm going for a tight (low end) smooth midrangey sound......think lynch meets van halen while listening to meshuggah's 'none' album :shred:

peace

-j

www.myspace.com/jamesalexanderboyd
james_a_boyd@hotmail.com

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
Hey man, welcome to the boards.

I've never owned a alder/ebony 7, but I have owned an alder/ebony Soloist SLI tuned to C, and an alder/ebony Carvin V220 tuned to B. I remember that guitar to be clarity city, very plucky, very smooth high end, not scratchy at all.

For what you're looking for, you may want to introduce some mahogany into your Carvin somewhere, maybe as the body wings, or with a mahogany neck.

jamesboyd

Lord Boyd
Reaction score
thanks buddy I was thinking the same thing..........

My alder/eboney sl-1 was very tight, but slightly lacking in punch(the floyd may have thinned things out)

Plus the carvins are neck through (neck usually being maple) so are we dealing with a very bright/tight guitar t begin with?

peace

-j

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
Alder and ebony is damn fine combination of body and fingerboard woods. But if you want something with more midrange weight and smoothness you might want to not use the Nailbomb which seems geared to cut though the mix. You might want to consider the Holy Diver or maybe the Painkliller.

kanamvar32

Reaction score
hi. if you want to talk over MSN message me at KANAMVAR32@MSN.COM

I have a carvin dc727 with nailbomb/ceramic warpig and have played a few dc7s and could talk to you about them a bit. i think it would be a better way to communicate so if questions come up then we dont have to keep posting here.

Shaman

Reaction score
Welcome!

My main guitar is a Carvin DC727, and it is an awesome guitar. I will, however, change to bridge pickup to a Duncan JB7 in the future. But other than that, it's perfect.

I have no experience with the particular pickups you have in mind though.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I've got a DC727 that's all mahogany with a maple board and a quilted maple top and it's still very bright.
I'm popping a Duncan Custom (SH-5) at the end of the month and hopefully it will give it a little more "balls'. if the duncan doesn't do it then i'm going to try a BK Miracle Man, or a Ceramic Warpig. I need to speak to Tim and tell him my rig etc.
other than that it's one of the best guitars I've ever owned, it's a blast to play and it's pretty sweet looking.
but to anwser your question, these are inherently bright guitars, throwing
in some mahogany somwhere wouldn't hurt.
although Zimbloth has got an Alder/Maple/Ebony DC747 and he said the Duncan JB in it sounds great, so it may just be the Carvin pickups :scratch:

Hey i just listened to your clips.
:hbang: :hbang: fuck ya!!! Love that second tune, kick ass track

muffgoat

The Djentle Giant
Reaction score
Hey dude i just wanted to say that i checked out your myspace and you got some sick tunes. "Very nice i like" so i added you to my page, i am always up for gear talk as i am a GAS junky. I am also planning on getting a carvin for my next 7, just love the custom options available.

starsnuffer

Reaction score
Welcome!

I own a DC747. I'd worry that swamp ash would be too bright. Carvins are all neck, so don't worry too much about your body wood, consider your neck material when considering your tone, especially if you're going to get a maple top. The "body wings" have very little mass in comparison to everything else on your guitar. If I had to do it again I'd go with alder instead of mahogany for the body wings along with a mahogany neck instead of maple.

I've grown to love my bright guitar though, but I play through a pretty dark amp (bogner XTC 101B) so it's a good combo. The carvin isn't as good through my triamp, which is a brighter and tighter amp. For refrence mine is maple/walnut 5 piece neck, mahogany body, flamed maple top. Replacing the pups with a DS7 and an AN7 helped a bit.

As for the fretboard, go with whatever looks/feels better to you, it doesn't make a noticable difference in tone.

Definatly go with the stainless frets!

Also consider that you'll have to break out the grinder and grind down the baseplates and tabs on those nailbombs to get them to fit.

-W

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, as a former DC747 owner, I also think that a mahogany neck is the way to go. That sounds weird if you're looking for a VH 'brown sound,' but Carvins are inherently way the heck brighter-sounding than anything EVH has ever played, so you need something to round that off a bit. Sorry, can't help ya with the pickups, as I don't know about the ones you've listed.

jamesboyd

Lord Boyd
Reaction score
hey guys,

Yeah I figured it would be bright (just like my sl-1)
I quess van halen may have been a bit of a stretch......but definately lynch and 'live without a net' type vh tones...with the bottom end of mesh :hbang:

I'm thinking either mahogany neck and wings(ebony fretboard)
or alder wings/maple neck/eboney fretboard.

It's probably safer going with regular combos.

Oh that second track is from my good friend Zorran tearing it up with his band 'Newayhome' ..................I recorded that for them and had a blast (the other guitarist is awesome too!!)

thanks guys,

p.s- maybe someone can compare the dc727's to something like the rg1527 and modified rg7321.......the more thoughts the better!!

kanamvar32

Reaction score
if u can call the US you should talk to Moshe at Carvin Hollywood. He is a salesman and luthier and really knows his wood hehe. He was very helpful when I was shopping for my guitar. The # is on carvins site.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
I've got a alder/ebony prototype and I'm very pleased with its sound. The extended scale has a big effect on that though, anyhow I love that wood combination.

jamesboyd

Lord Boyd
Reaction score
on a related note, how would the build quality/construction of ran comapre with carvin?

Obviously carvin is a bit cheaper, and I've been impressed with carvin................but what about the ran and kxk owners? thoughts?

peace

-jab

kanamvar32

Reaction score
i just started lookin at KxK guitars and they look fantastic. I looked at RAN a while ago but didn't check into their custom stuff. I think all the comapnies make great stuff. I found Carvin to be the easiest for me to try and most convenient to purchase as the store is only 8 miles away from me.

Pablo

Resident Wanker
Reaction score
I like a pretty bright sound and the standard Carvin wood combo of maple neck, alder wings and an ebony board sounds great to my ears... only to be let down by decidedly sub-standard pickups (that they were bright enough to make in a non-standard size). Apart from Carvins being silly-expensive in Europe, the main reason why I don't own a Carvin is that I can't (easily) change PUs on them. The two best-sounding Carvins I've heard were DC127s - one was all-walnut, and the other all koa - both with ebony boards.

Cheers

Eske

')