Hellraiser 7/blackjack atx 7....OR! xiphos 7 ..... :/

• Thread starter PetrucciVai
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PetrucciVai

Reaction score
Hey guys, So I definitely need to finally get my first 7. And I've finally narrowed it down to a high end schecter (hellraiser or the new '08 blackjack) OR the Xiphos 7...

I haven't even played the xiphos cuz no stores have it in stock when I go, but I've played most all schecter 7's, except the blackjack, which im sure is pretty damn close to the hellraiser, and I just dont know which one to go for. Im a fan of a smaller neck, so the xiphos is appealing in that aspect, and Ive heard SUCH good shit about it that I really want to give it a try...(plus the color changing paint is just bad ass), but the shape isn't the best in the world.

I also like the EMGs/Blackouts more than the D-Activators, and prefer the superstrat body of the schecters, so those are appealing in those aspects, yet I might just want a skinnier neck.. So its a very confusing choice.

Basically If I narrow it down to the schecters, then I just choose which ever finish I like more, I cant decide between the satin black and the black cherry, but the color changing is badass. I really want an ibanez for the necks, so if the neck is just amazing and the bridge and the body isn't a hassle, I would choose the xiphos and put in EMGs or blackouts..

So throw out all the opinions you have! gimme 'em all!!

Even post a FS item if you have one, who knows, if its a good deal it might just narrow down my choices! :)

Thanks guys

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
i vote hellraiser
looks stunning ( cherry black version i prefer)
pickups are killer!
and is jsut pure awesome
and :agreed: to the xiphos not being the most pleasing of shapes

i used to be an ibby person purly for the thinner necks now im all about the Agiles which are almost identical to schecters
a lil bitta playing with it and you get used to the thicker neck with easy
i struggle more on thinner necks now - and teh thicker neck is overal alot more comfey than thinner
feels like ur actaully holding somethin when riffing :hbang:

PetrucciVai

Reaction score
Yea the loomis is nice but idk a little too common for me. I jsut prefer the darker fretboard. I TOTALLY forgot about the agiles though, :/ that makes the decision harder. plus those things are cheaper AND come with the floyd, but Whenever I go to look on the rondo site, theyre always out of the green one. Maybe the flamed trans-black one that ones pretty hot... hmmm...

FearCage

Reaction score
I would go for the Schecter just because I can't really trust anything made in Indonesia anymore. My very first guitar was made there and it started "falling apart" within weeks.

I hope that you enjoy whatever you decide on!

Shane

PetrucciVai

Reaction score
thanks dude! Yea I have a c1 fr now its a very well built guitar! I am sure the schecter 7s are of good quality too

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
Agile blackflamed interceptor
do it now
i have one of the green pro 27"s (as well as a septor) and its the best guitar i have ever played
let alone owned! :D

plus its stunning to look at!

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Don't rule out the Xiphos though, everyone who owns one here seems to love it. I wish I could get my hands on one.

PetrucciVai

Reaction score
Yea I dont want to do that just yet. Im thinking less towards the schecters though, I just dont like those baseball bat necks. I mean I play one every time i go to GC and I can definitely rip one up with riffs and shreds but i just dont prefer it. Anyone want to comment on the agile neck compared to a schecter 7? Ive heard they are in between ibanez and schecter, (which are too thin and too think so agile sounds ideal...but who knows) but havent played an agile.. but the neck on the xiphos is supposed to be sick too. So who knows WHAT ill choose. I hate GAS i really do

chaztrip

Seeking not Found
Contributor
Reaction score
I have had a Helll Raiser and a Loomis Sig..... now I have a Xiphos... and I love it!!! for me having smaller hands the Loomis was a bit much.. the neck on the Xiphos so far is Fantastic!!!!!

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Yea the loomis is nice but idk a little too common for me. I jsut prefer the darker fretboard.

if yuo like the darker boards, thats cool, but how is it too 'common'? There's only 2 other companies that make maple board 7s (Carvin, which is semi custom) and Agile. I'd love it if maple boards were common, but they arent.

SlowShred

Reaction score
What's the scale length on the Xiphos? I take it the Xiphos has the typical ibby profile, right? I too am getting ready to buy a 7 and really like the schecters necks, the thin ibanez necks don't do it for me. I like that the schecters already come with emgs or blackouts depending on what model you pick, b/c I know the dimarzios wouldn't last long in there.

PetrucciVai

Reaction score
Yea I agree, the d-activators would come RIGHT out, and I kinda dont want to buy new pickups ON TOP of the 700 or so for the axe

As for too "common", I just say that because I see a TON on here and youtube, and I have a few friends who buy all the sig models (loomis, avenged sevenfold guitarists, etc) and he just doesnt like either of them. And neither do a lot of people on here or at least thats what it seems, I see a lot of "selling my looomis. thought it was what i wanted, guess not, i just got an agile anyway, etc" threads and I dont think its for me. I really love that satin black blackjack atx though. And apparently the blackouts are really nice sounding. but maybe still pushing for the xiphos. who knows, itll only be narrowed down to the agile and something else once i play the schecters and xiphos....

Rigor Mortis

ur so oppealin ,,.!
Reaction score
... I always hear positive things about the Loomis unless its wanks with tiny hands :rolleyes:

People sell the Loomis 9/10 of the time because of the trem. They either dont feel like focking with it or they dont know what they're doing.

The Loomis is a great guitar. I played 2 yesterday, one TOM and the FR. The FR slayed it, but thats because I've recently become a Floyd man. The TOM was great, it was better than any Blackjack or other Hellraiser I've played.

Anyways, if you ARENT interested in the Loomis, then I'd say Xiphos. Personally, I have never played one, or even seen one in person.. but everyone seems to be happy with theirs.

I cant say I'd support Agile, I just dont dig their stuff. I've played a Interceptor and didn't really like it. It just felt like your average midrange guitar. With Agile, unlike some people say, I think you get what you pay for. It wasn't bad, but it didn't stand out.

Whatever you pick, I'm sure you'll be happy. If not, just sell that sumbitch or trade it to someone on here and get what you want.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
As for too "common", I just say that because I see a TON on here and youtube, and I have a few friends who buy all the sig models (loomis, avenged sevenfold guitarists, etc) and he just doesnt like either of them. And neither do a lot of people on here or at least thats what it seems, I see a lot of "selling my looomis. thought it was what i wanted, guess not, i just got an agile anyway, etc" threads and I dont think its for me. I really love that satin black blackjack atx though. And apparently the blackouts are really nice sounding. but maybe still pushing for the xiphos. who knows, itll only be narrowed down to the agile and something else once i play the schecters and xiphos....

Well, lots of people on here have them because... well its a 7 string forum.
They're, in my opinion, the best 7 string you can get for under a grand, bar none.

meshu77ah

Reaction score
i vote hellraiser
looks stunning ( cherry black version i prefer)
pickups are killer!
and is jsut pure awesome
and :agreed: to the xiphos not being the most pleasing of shapes

i used to be an ibby person purly for the thinner necks now im all about the Agiles which are almost identical to schecters
a lil bitta playing with it and you get used to the thicker neck with easy
i struggle more on thinner necks now - and teh thicker neck is overal alot more comfey than thinner
feels like ur actaully holding somethin when riffing :hbang:

I agree with thig guy and say go with the Hellraiser. I used to love Ibanez for the thin necks but now much prefer Schecters. The Hellraiser is awesome.

You were saying how you like the thin neck but the superstrat shape. Then why not go for an Ibanez RG or Universe? Is there a particular reason why you've ruled them out?

PetrucciVai

Reaction score
I agree with thig guy and say go with the Hellraiser. I used to love Ibanez for the thin necks but now much prefer Schecters. The Hellraiser is awesome.

You were saying how you like the thin neck but the superstrat shape. Then why not go for an Ibanez RG or Universe? Is there a particular reason why you've ruled them out?

No I like the RGs, I just would be looking for a 7620/21 or a 7420/21, and dont want to wait around for a used one. I could get the 1527, but I dont think I'd be a fan of the stock pickups, Id prefer the EMGs or blackouts. And a universe would be great too, but I just dont have that much cash lol.

Though I've heard great stuff about agiles, I really dont want to have to deal with ordering the guitar and such, unless it was a good deal, but Id rather play it first and take it home. Plus I like haggling with the guys I know at GC, they always give me a pretty decent discount.

I think I'd be pretty set with the schecters, I LOVE the set necks. And I've always loved the black cherry quilted top but The satin black ATX does look pretty sick too, and I might be getting tired of glossy shiny guitars. Theyre both relatively the same price right?

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well, lots of people on here have them because... well its a 7 string forum.
They're, in my opinion, the best 7 string you can get for under a grand, bar none.
this ^ is the exact reason why people have them, why buy shit when you have the loomis!?

meshu77ah

Reaction score
No I like the RGs, I just would be looking for a 7620/21 or a 7420/21, and dont want to wait around for a used one. I could get the 1527, but I dont think I'd be a fan of the stock pickups, Id prefer the EMGs or blackouts. And a universe would be great too, but I just dont have that much cash lol.

Though I've heard great stuff about agiles, I really dont want to have to deal with ordering the guitar and such, unless it was a good deal, but Id rather play it first and take it home. Plus I like haggling with the guys I know at GC, they always give me a pretty decent discount.

I think I'd be pretty set with the schecters, I LOVE the set necks. And I've always loved the black cherry quilted top but The satin black ATX does look pretty sick too, and I might be getting tired of glossy shiny guitars. Theyre both relatively the same price right?

They are relatively similar in price I think.
I have a Blackjack C7 as well as the Hellraiser C7. My Blackjack is gloss black one with passive Seymour Duncans. The neck is slightly slimmer than the Hellraiser if thats any help to you. I would imagine the ATX would be the same.
Let us know which one you decice on.
Good luck

')