Help >< 7 or 8 Strings?

• Thread starter DjentLavi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DjentLavi

Reaction score
Hey there everyone, as you may tell from the title, I'm torn between a 7 string or an 8 string guitar.

I've sadly never owned either a 7 or an 8 string and was curious as to what you pros would say. I have played both 7 and 8 strings, but only very briefly, not really enough time on either to properly make a judgement.

Most people I know have said to start with 7, and then work up to 8, which would be the logical thing to do. Others say to go with whatever feels right for the way I play.

My problem is that I really like playing 8 strings, but as I said, I haven't played them long enough to just decide there and then. Would going from a 6 string to an 8 string be ridiculously stupid? Or would be better to get a 7, get used to having a low B properly, and then make the change to 8?

Thanks in advance for help ^_^

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
You're going to have people telling you start at 7, and some saying go straight for 8. I personally say go for 8, if it really interests you, and you want to tune low without losing a chunk of your high register.

If you don't do a lot of lead work and just want to tune low, I'd say just go 7 or even baritone 6, but if you want to have the full range to use as you like, go for the 8. You'll have an adjustment period either way, but it would be a waste of your time to get a 7 with the end goal of playing 8s.

DjentLavi

Reaction score
Yeah, literally every person I've asked has said to start on 7, and then go to 8. But as you put it, it would be a waste of time really.

Now the issue is what 8 to get >< I've played the Ibanez RGA8, which in my opinion felt really nice to play, but as everyone on this forum agrees, the pups are far too muddy, but I'm sure a pup change would fix that. I did look at Agile, and I think they're beautiful guitars, but getting shipped over to the UK is apparently risky.

rgaRyan

Ermahgerd!
Reaction score
What is your budget? Shipping an Agile from the USA to Canada (where I live) is enough reason for me not to consider buying from them. Too damn expensive.

Have you checked out Mayones? They make amazing guitars! But they may be a bit out of your price range.

DjentLavi

Reaction score
My budget is anything up to £600. Mayones is out of the question straight away XD. That's why I like the Agile, the guitars are pretty good for the money but once you include shipping, and taxes and loads of other crap that takes place when something gets shipped over from another country, the price goes up ><

Sam MJ

Tries to be helpful
Reaction score
I'd go and try out some more 8's if I were you, then if your comftable go for it, no point faffing around with a 7 if you want to go to 8 anyways :)

If you feel a 7 would be better Check out Jaden Rose guitars, he has some absolutely sweet guitars and if your in the UK, the series 2 models are very well priced (£950 ish). He also does 8 strings but they're a higher end model (£1900+)

Edit; Ooops, Ninja'd :D. i'd look for a used ibanez if I were you, no point going new at that price point really :(. Schecter also make 8's but I've no experience with them.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
Most people I know have said to start with 7, and then work up to 8, which would be the logical thing to do.

Did you start with an instrument with a single string guitar? Chances are you went from zero to six (or if you started with base 0-4-6) Two extra strings are not so fundamentally different that you should feel the need to move to a seven string first.

Reaction score
well I own a 7 string and i really love that insturment, im the kind of guys that thing of those instruments (6,7 and 8 string) as a 3 different instruments, is not a 6 string guitar with 2 extra strings NO is a guitar of 8 strings!
so i think if you anyways are gonna buy a 8 string, just for it! but think that it would be a entirely different instrument, but if that what you feel just go for it!

you can check my 7 string here!

Zerox8610

Reaction score
If you're gonna buy an 8 just buy one now. Might as well learn using the instrument you want.

There's literally no added bonus from learning on 7s then moving to 8s.

brector

Reaction score
I went from 6 to 8, so I would recommend going with the 8

-Brian

DjentLavi

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help, it helped a lot ^_^ I guess I should just go for the 8 and see how everything goes :shred:

Dayn

Reaction score
That's the spirit. :yesway: Get what you want. You went from zero to six strings. A couple more won't hurt.

Brill

sweet little lolita.
Reaction score
I went from bass to 8 string xD
I am having my 8 set up to high A. I prefer to have my guitar not clash so much with my bass.
I'd say go with a 8 for a bit. there is a 7 in an 8.. but not a 8 in a 7.

DjentLavi

Reaction score
I know which 8 string I'd go for, the Ibanez RGA8 in White XD 1, because I think it plays really well in my opinion, and 2, it's white, and White looks awesome :3 Obviously I'd change the pups, to either 8 string Blackouts or EMG 808's.

Any opinions on pickups?

lord-loligator

fun and fancy fizzle
Reaction score
i have a schecter omen 8 and for the price it sounds quite amazing. mad comfortable. the pups started to die after 6 months of having it but a quick change should fix it. i would say go for an 8 string first if thats what you're going for anyway. save yourself some money

Texabama

Reaction score
I say just got straight to an eight string. I like the reasoning mentioned earlier, you didn't start with a one string guitar, you went from zero to six. If eight is what you ultimately want, then that's what you should get.

InfinityAndThree

Reaction score
If that London is London UK, I would recommend going to denmark street. The new shop there (forgoten the name) has about 8 schecter 8 strings, and Rose Morris has a cheap LTD. Go and try them, and make sure you get on well with them. The schecter damien elite 8 is also below £600 I think.

DjentLavi

Reaction score
Yeah there's a few 7 strings down there, but the shop that does 8 string has closed off that section so it can be re-built ><

')