Help!(8 or 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnmar

Banned
Reaction score
So a month or so ago I was about to purchase a Siggery Heresy 7.
I play mostly octave stuff so my tuning would be drop F.
Then I thought it would be a good idea to get an 8 string to do the job properly(Standard F).
Now I torn between the siggery heresy 7(1200E thin as fuck and no neck pickup),the ibanez rga8(1000E modded(SD Blackouts and ebony FB))
and a Ran Crusher 8 string(1300E as it is).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
well the High E is mainly used for that.... so That is usually how I think of it. I know I am completly wrong...

While the first string is often used in soloing, it's also pretty useful for a lot of chord (not power chord) shapes, depending on tuning of course.

Do folks not solo on 7s anymore? :lol:

Murmel

Reaction score
well the High E is mainly used for that.... so That is usually how I think of it. I know I am completly wrong...

I don't understand how the high E has anything to do with choosing between a 7 and an 8, it's featured on both guitars :scratch:

Also, as max pointed out, the high E is invaluable when it comes to chording.

Brill

sweet little lolita.
Reaction score
He said he is playing in drop F..... there for he is getting rid of the High E... I also Am aware that the High E string is used for chords.

frogunrua

Lord of the Afros
Reaction score
Do folks not solo on 7s anymore? :lol:

This is where I always wonder why people say to get a 7 when your just going to chug and an 8 when you solo. Does Rusty Cooley not primarily use a 7? Also a band that comes to mind is All Shall Perish, they rip on 7's.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
He said he is playing in drop F..... there for he is getting rid of the High E... I also Am aware that the High E string is used for chords.

When you drop tune, or tune down you don't just nix the highest string, you just tune it in accordance with the rest of the strings.

While he may loose the string actually tuned to E, it doesn't negate the need for a high string in its entirety.

I can see if he's just going to ride the low few strings it may be a better idea to get the instrument with great available options (more 7-string stuff than 8-string), but in that case, why not just pick up a 6?

ZEBOV

Banned
Reaction score
If you're a chugger, get a 6. I actually plan on doing that myself. A Strictly 7-1 with a 30.2" scale. It might be a while from now, but it will eventually happen. I think I'll tune it down to C0.

Status
Not open for further replies.