[help!]bridge pickup choice for Gibson guitar

• Thread starter turmoil
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

turmoil

l0rd of teh shr3d
Contributor
Reaction score
I have this old Gibson Sonex 180 Deluxe that looks just like this
sonix.jpg

In a few weeks i'm going to start playing with another band, MySpace.com - CENTURY - LANCASTER, Pennsylvania - Metal / Hardcore - www.myspace.com/century, that plays in Drop-D tuning so i figured i'd use this as my primary guitar, since all my others are tuned to C standard. i'm not really trying to emulate the sound on the myspace, i'm just trying to give you an example of what the band sounds like.

The only problem with this guitar is that the bridge pickup feeds back like crazy! i think it has something to do with the wax that they put on pickups to keep them from feeding back. It was bought in the 80's and given to my parents as a wedding gift who then passed it on to me :hbang:

In this band i'll only need a bridge pickup and all my other guitars have EMG's so i'm thinking about trying to keep this guitar with passive pickups. I was thinking about trying a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge but i'm curious what you guys think about it and i'm also VERY open to suggestions so....fire away!
thanks!!

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
i think it has something to do with the wax that they put on pickups to keep them from feeding back.

The only way that'd happen is if the wax wasn't there. And if it isn't, you can re-pot the pickups yourself.

Otherwise, i don't know too much abut 6 string pickups, so I'll let some other people field that :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DeL07

SS.org Sushi Whore
Reaction score
Depends man, what sound are you going for and through what amp are you playing??

Off the top of my head, Duncan Custom is brutal for Drop-D tuning, the JB is awesome as well although very loose on the bass side, the Dimarzio X2N is super chunky, the Dim D Sonic is very crunchy and middy...

But if you want the absolute best pickup ever, Adder Plus Corp Persuader Lead Custom is the way, I'm receiving mine this week, but I've played my friend's guitar with one and it sounds absolutely amazing, nothing else from the "standard" pickup manufacturers don't have nothin on APC! :hbang:

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
But if you want the absolute best pickup ever, Adder Plus Corp Persuader Lead Custom is the way, I'm receiving mine this week, but I've played my friend's guitar with one and it sounds absolutely amazing, nothing else from the "standard" pickup manufacturers don't have nothin on APC! :hbang:

APC vs Bareknuckle vs Lundgren, 6 weeks from now.

I'll be waiting.

:fawk: