HELP! Broke a screw tightening a string!

• Thread starter DreamSound
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DreamSound

Reaction score
hei guys, I broke one of the screws that goes in one of the the saddles of the UV777 bridge. I can't pull it out, my roommate said I might be able to drill it out but we couldn't. I'm wondering if I should order a whole new saddle or what can I do to fix this. I was tightening a string when it broke. THANKS

Attachments

• uv777detail.jpg
    uv777detail.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 58
  • UV777photo.jpg
    UV777photo.jpg
    643.5 KB · Views: 51

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Good News: You can use a tap and die to get that out, and you can get those screws at most hardware stores.

Bad News: Getting it out is going to suck.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
The easiest thing to do is just order another saddle. Though i tend to avoid reccomend ibanezrules.com at all costs, his service is fast on parts and you can deal with a dollar or two mark up to get the shit in 3-4 days/

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'd check with Brian at universaljems.com before I gave even a dime to Rich Harris. Hell, I'd pay Brian more. Rich is a crook. :noway:

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Chris said:
I'd check with Brian at universaljems.com before I gave even a dime to Rich Harris. Hell, I'd pay Brian more. Rich is a crook. :noway:

+1 for Universal Jems, but they sometimes take longer to mail the parts (The consequences of a lower price.) If you can wait, check UJ, but if you NEED it, then go to Ibanez Rules.

jtm45

Reaction score
Chris said:

I thought i was alone as far as not being a big Rich fan goes.
It's nice to see that isn't the case.:yesway:

As you say Chris,he is a crook as far as his prices go but even more than that i find him to be infuriatingly rude and arrogant as hell to boot.

I just don't get his attitude at all.:scratch:
He made me feel like buying anything from him(or even answering an enquiry politely)was a major inconvenience that he could do without.

I really wish there was an alternative Ibanez parts source that kept parts in stock.:agreed:

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
jtm45 said:
As you say Chris,he is a crook as far as his prices go but even more than that i find him to be infuriatingly rude and arrogant as hell to boot.
He made me feel like buying anything from him(or even answering an enquiry politely)was a major inconvenience that he could do without.
I really wish there was an alternative Ibanez parts source that kept parts in stock.:agreed:
I know this is a big off topic, so I'll keep it short. This was my experience recently, too.

But! When I bought my 2027 from him brand new in '01, he was much cooler (seemd cooler on the jemsite boards, too). And the price wasn't too bad - $1100, fully set up, he ate the shipping.

DreamSound

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys, I think I'm gonna HAVE to go w/ Rich since I need it ASAP. I'll let y'all know how it went.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
jtm45 said:

I hate to further derail this thread, but I'll say this. Rich scours eBay and private sale listings looking to buy UV's from people on the cheap so that he can mark them up hundreds of dollars and resell them. Because of this, regular working stiff musicians have less of a chance to get their hands on a decent UV at a fair price. He snaps them up, does one of his magical $500 setups on them and re-lists them on his site for 4-500 more than he paid for them.

I realize he's just running his business and more power to him, but for that reason alone I would never buy anything from him. A guy Steve and I know was contacted by Rich for a mint PWH that he was selling for $1000 flat. Rich has guitars in half the shape this one is on listed on his site for $1500 or more, and from what I've been told, the guy turned Rich down for pretty much the same reason.

I only know what I'm told by him, and whether or not it actually went down like that I can't say either way, but I believe him, and that if Rich listed that guitar on his site, he'd have it up there for at least $1500, which is 50% more than what he paid for it. Instead of some guy like you and I getting a good deal on a UV, we'd pay out the ass for it because Rich has the bankroll to stockpile UV's and resell them.

In a business sense it's all well and good but as a guitarist and a guy who works very hard to afford his gear, I'll pass on buying something from him that he marked up hundreds of dollars because he set the bridge up.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Easier solution. Go to the hardware store and buy a screw extractor that's just a bit smaller than the diameter of the screw and whatever drillbit is recommended for it (you'll probably need a carbide tip drillbit and a high carbon screw extractor). Should come out no problem. Also, take one of the other screws with you to match it up and get a new one. Problem solved.

21829_VA_pd.jpg

Ryan

Reaction score
He was grouchy as hell when i called to buy that early 90's S7 a while back. So i decided he could keep it.

DreamSound

Reaction score
yeah I think I'm gonna try just drilling it out. Maybe the hardware store guys can do this for me? I emailed Rich and never got a reply. So much work for a smaller mistake! :(

Roundhouse_Kick

Reaction score
That rich guy comes across as the most arrogant, condescending, patronising know-it-all bastard ever on the jemsite boards. Yet somehow he is treated like god over there.

:minions:

^^^Jemsiters and Rich

Drache713

Contributor
Reaction score
[offtopic]

I don't mean to derail this further or to resurrect the thread, but I just wanted to share my opinion that Rich is a arrogant cock. The middle saddle for the 4th string/D-string on my new s7420 broke in two tightening the bolt and I wasn't doing anything wrong to it, no abnormal pressure or anything. so I e-mailed him asking:

"Hi Rich. I was tightening the bolt down on my 4th string/d string on my 7-string and the saddle cracked right in two, and I wasn't applying any abnormal pressure. Do you sell replacement Lo-Trs saddles or know of any place that does sell them? Thanks for your time."

And he replied with:

"i just can't stock everything, i have very few trs parts.
you can probably order direct
215-638-8670"

so I sent him this e-mail:

"I didn't ask if you can stock everything, I simply asked if you carried a single part or not. I realize you respond to thousands of e-mails and tons of phone calls, but there's no reason to get an attitude over it. I appreciate the phone number and I will try contacting them about it, thanks."

and he replied with:

"get your mentals checked out, i stated a fact of why i don't have it, like i do to everybody that asks for trs parts i don't stock, no attitude was given or inferred so the problem must be on your end."

sorry, just already really upset about my guitar problem right now, and these e-mails didn't help. I just needed to vent.

[/offtopic]

Open Wounds

Reaction score
[offtopic]

yeah i hate it when i put to much pressure on my nuts and they break.

but i agree ive had to deal with rich before and he is a condescending asshole.
but yet again, hes busy as hell and it didnt help you emailed him back with a bunch of attitude. if everyone in the world could just take it down a notch, i would be a lot more peaceful around here.

[/offtopic]

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Alright, cool, i'm gonna close this thread. Open Wounds, you might want to consider posting more constructively. I'll the stuff i've run across from you on the site is incredibly off topic or just plain useless, or in this case, being an ass.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm just going to post a brief blurb here and abuse my mod powers - I actually rather like Rich, on some level, but I agree he's been a lot less pro-customer recently. My suspicion is he's getting burned out on the guitar business, trying to compete with the wholesale giants like GC and Musicians Friend.

Is that an excuse? Not really. However, I learned a tremendous amount from his tech section back in the day, rewards of which Chris continues to reap. ;) I also know a shitload more about unusual guitars and, in particular, the JS model line than I would have otherwise.

Would I buy a guitar from him? Maybe, but maybe not. But would I buy him a beer or two if I ever met the guy? Certainly. :shrug: I sort of feel like I owe him at least that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')