Help buying a 7

• Thread starter Barlowe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Barlowe

Reaction score
I am looking into buying my first seven string guitar and I wanted to consult some people with experience.. since I will probably not get to play any before I buy. I was thinking of maybe just goingwith the LTD viper because its on the cheaper side of life just to begin with, but then again it might be better to just get somethin better straight off. If you don't think the viper would be good, what would you suggest? :scratch:

thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

angusyoungwanabe

ss.org's Diabetic
Reaction score
i've heard people say its like a regular SG, IE neck heavy. i'd say look to ebay for an RG7421 or RG7621 if you want a hardtail.

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
the difference between the ibbys and the viper is that though neck heavy the viper has a thin neck and will sound amazing (neckthrough+mahogany+ emgs) the cheap ibanezes (which ive played) sound like dogshit because they are bolt on/basswood/shit pickups...

go with the viper or a schecter hellraiser if youd dont mind the thickass neck.

i would go with the viper, the other guitarist in my band is going for one too- im saving up for either the Dean RC7, a J custom (RG8327) or a Universe (UV777 or UV7BK)

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
+1 on what GP1 said. I think that the Viper it's an awsome guitar, but you can get a Schecter for that money, too.

IMHO you'r doing a nice buy, talking about the Viper.

angryman

Djentleman
Reaction score
Mynydd y Garreg, Carmarthenshire, South Wales.
I don't think SG's & vipers are neck heavy although i've never played the 7 string version so it may well be cos of the extra wood but you could always put a bit of lead in the control cavity to level it out anyway.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
stick the strap button on the top horn and there really isn't a neck-heaviness problem.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
We (at the ESP forum) think because some retardes tried swinging it around and somehow hit the horn on something and broke it off and blame ESP for it :shrug: so they moved it.

Wiggywiggler

ss.org erroneous
Reaction score
for neck-heaviness, it also works if you glue some anti-slip material to the strap where it presses against yout shoulder.

and maybe I'm keen to dogshit, but the rg7321 suits me just fine.. no idea what the Viper would be like.

Barlowe

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I have an esp h-1000 that i love so im leaning towards the esp. The h-1000 is not neck heavy like the viper is it? because if it is i sure dont mind. Are ibanezs really that great of seven strings when you go up in price? Im gettin a job just for this so i would be willing to spend more money if it would be worth it. I just have never really liked the look of Ibanezs so i'm never drawn to them and i can't play any nicer ones around here so i don't know

')