HELP*Can't get intonation right on custom build

• Thread starter meeeeeeeee
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

meeeeeeeee

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

i'm trying to set the intonation on an old gio ibanez body thats had the neck replaced by a universe neck.

Has a standard rg7321 fixed bridge.

When i tune the open to correct pitch the 12th is about half a step out and i just can't get the two right.

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks guys

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Can't tell if you've actually tried adjusting the intonation or not. If not, adjust the saddle back/forth (you didn't specify flat or sharp) with the intonation screws behind the bridge.

meeeeeeeee

Reaction score
Hey, yeah, tried adjusting the intonation. Its about half a step flat between the 11th and 14th frets.. seems to be ok before that and after that.

if i adjust the intonation to be right at the 12th fret, it takes so much adjusting on the screw at the saddle that the open is half a step out..

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, yeah, tried adjusting the intonation. Its about half a step flat between the 11th and 14th frets.. seems to be ok before that and after that.

if i adjust the intonation to be right at the 12th fret, it takes so much adjusting on the screw at the saddle that the open is half a step out..

Every time you adjust the saddle, you have to retune the open string... THEN check your intonation.

meeeeeeeee

Reaction score
Yeah, i know how to do it normally, but i am wondering if i have done something wrong as its about half a step out, so when you correct it with the saddle, the open string is so far out you cant compensate for the difference.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
As you move the saddle the tension on the string changes, hence the retuning it. Of course the open string goes out when you move the saddle.... As you choose what the open string was, and you adjust the notes aat the frets the open string by definition CANNOT be out unless you haven't tuned it...

xMaNgOxKusHx

Reaction score
Honestly, I say upgrade the bridge. If that doesn't work, the bridge is not lined up correctly.

jcgss77

Reaction score
This is why people send their guitars to a tech. Intonation is a pain! What I usually do when I do any modifying or before I attach the strings when i replace a bridge is use a compensated bridge for a pattern, and set all the saddles to the same settings on the compensated bridge. Then I put it on the guitar and intonate from there. The compensated bridges are usually pretty close for intonation, and this saves a lot of time, not to mention the bridge screws. Those things are super cheap, and like to strip out, even on good bridges!

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The GIO and Universe quite possibly have entirely different neck pockets, so your bridge may ont be correctly positioned. The GIO Beck is 22 fret and The Universe is 24. Is it an old square-heel Universe neck, or a newer AANJ one?

vansinn

Reaction score
^ yup, that was also my first though, different neck layouts..
If so, either the neckmount/pocket must be adapted, or the bridge moved.
Half a step intonation off is a lot, and should scream trouble.

A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere.
-- Groucho Marx

Linny

Reaction score
Make sure you fresh strings before setting intonation.

vansinn

Reaction score
This is why people send their guitars to a tech. Intonation is a pain!

I seriously disagree. Setting intonation is merely a matter of learning how saddles should be moved relative to the 12th harmonic being higher or lower pitched than fretting at 12th.
Anyone who can tune a guitar by ear can learn to set intonation by ear with a little practice and some retries, or a good tuner can be used.

When an instrument, which likely didn't have issues before a mod, is suddenly half a seminote off after the mod, something is seriously wrong, and no special tools other than logic is needed.
Plus of course the fix.. I hope the OP gets it sorted out :yesway:

proto

Reaction score
all the above and also perhaps restring it again, i had a defective elixer string that was impossible to intonate on my agile 828

meeeeeeeee

Reaction score
it seems to me that its an issue with bridge placement.

i thought i compensated for the different neck but i guess not enough.

Also, to reiterate it again, i am fairy sure i can tune and intonate properly.

meeeeeeeee

Reaction score
OK, just done some measuring and i have put the bridge in about half an inch south of where it should have been...

I think this causing the issue.

Is there any way at all of solving this without taking the whole fucking thing apart and re doing it?

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
OK, just done some measuring and i have put the bridge in about half an inch south of where it should have been...

I think this causing the issue.

Is there any way at all of solving this without taking the whole fucking thing apart and re doing it?

No

meeeeeeeee

Reaction score
No adjustments to height of saddles or the screws would solve it?

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score

No the saddle needs to physically be able to move to the correct spot to intonate. There is only 1 correct spot for each string. The other factor is string guage/weight. A bigger string needs to be father back, generally.

vansinn

Reaction score

I cant see how, but also do not have the instrument in front of me.

It would be helpful with a closeup pic or two of the bridge as it is adjusted now.
If you're going to dismantle things for measurements or changes anyways, then also pics of the two necks side by side from fretboard side and from backside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

')