HELP: Caparison Horus or Delinger VS Jackson USA select series SL1 VS 1994 Dinky Ontario (factory?)

Vogg_and_Vitek

Reaction score
I need help making an informed decision quickly. I like all the jacksons I have owned, I have an Ibanez RG550 from 1992 right now, I like it ok. I rally want one of these, I have ever played Caparison but I have a friend who soldy his and said it was best he ever had but it was a TAT not a Horus. Any opinions on these? The dinky is a special one with a painting type design on it so I want to know if its inflated just because of the rare design. its like 1900 bucks.....is the 1994 dinky usa (ontario) as nice as the Caparison Horus or the Delinger and the Select SL1 soloist? Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Element0s

Low Fantasy/Black Denim
Reaction score
Probably all great guitars, but knowing the year of the Capa would be helpful. They had a rough QC period in the mid-late 2000’s. If it’s from the past few years it’ll be killer. Caparisons tend to have thickets necks in my experience, but I like them quite a bit.

Without seeing and playing the guitars that’s the best I can offer now

Vogg_and_Vitek

Reaction score
  • Thanks man they guy on ebay wont reply to me asking the year of the Cap Horus THREE times, which seems sketchy. MOST importanly do u know what the "Ontario" means for the dinky USA.....since that is not....in the USA? One last thing, is the USA select series SL1 (less than 5 years old) a much superior quality to just the Dinky USA with the special dragon painting (Ontario). I am afraid the Dinky Chinese Dragon logo may be causing the seller to inflate his asking price a lot (1900$) when I dont care about that too much, I am just too ignorant as to what the price of a 1994 Dinky usa would be, it seems like Jackson has like a billion models from a billion eras of their company from all over the world its confusing.

xzacx

Reaction score
  • Thanks man they guy on ebay wont reply to me asking the year of the Cap Horus THREE times, which seems sketchy. MOST importanly do u know what the "Ontario" means for the dinky USA.....since that is not....in the USA? One last thing, is the USA select series SL1 (less than 5 years old) a much superior quality to just the Dinky USA with the special dragon painting (Ontario). I am afraid the Dinky Chinese Dragon logo may be causing the seller to inflate his asking price a lot (1900$) when I dont care about that too much, I am just too ignorant as to what the price of a 1994 Dinky usa would be, it seems like Jackson has like a billion models from a billion eras of their company from all over the world its confusing.

Ontario, CA. It’s U.S.-made. That’s where Jackson moved after the original San Dimas factory. It should be top quality-basically the same as the SL1. I’ve owned many Jacksons from each factory and there’s little difference in quality. Specs have changed here and there but the quality has always been there. Imo that sounds like too much for the DK though, but the choice between those two kinda comes down to whether you prefer a neck-thru or bolt-on. Black SL1s are pretty easy to find in the $1k-$1,200 range if you look arond a little and grab it when they pop up.

Last edited:

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
Just got an SL1 a couple weeks ago, fantastic guitar. The Dinky will be in the same bracket, quality wise. I would imagine the Caparison will be close in quality, but i’d be wary. Basically, you want a bolt on or a neck through, as mentioned above.

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
I need help making an informed decision quickly. I like all the jacksons I have owned, I have an Ibanez RG550 from 1992 right now, I like it ok. I rally want one of these, I have ever played Caparison but I have a friend who soldy his and said it was best he ever had but it was a TAT not a Horus. Any opinions on these? The dinky is a special one with a painting type design on it so I want to know if its inflated just because of the rare design. its like 1900 bucks.....is the 1994 dinky usa (ontario) as nice as the Caparison Horus or the Delinger and the Select SL1 soloist? Thanks.

Get the Caparison. They are MIJ jacksons on a WHOLE nother level. I went and tried one and it was a BOSS guitar.

RiksRiks

ERG Player Wannabe
Reaction score
I haven't played the Jacksons, but I played a Caparison (one of the new signature ones, JSM I think) it was a solid guitar but didn't fell in love with it. I felt like the neck profile was very generic for my personal taste. Wouldn't buy it new, would consider a Horus used tho.

Captastic

Reaction score
Caparisons and Jackson share similar DNA. Caparisons will have non-recessed tremelos...Jacksons recessed. Early Caparisons have a thinner neck profile like the SL1 Speed neck. Later models will have a thick neck near the 1st 3-5 frets. I'm a Jackson guy who plays Cap's now...wouldn't have it any other way. They just feel right...to me at least.

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
Caparisons and Jackson share similar DNA. Caparisons will have non-recessed tremelos...Jacksons recessed. Early Caparisons have a thinner neck profile like the SL1 Speed neck. Later models will have a thick neck near the 1st 3-5 frets. I'm a Jackson guy who plays Cap's now...wouldn't have it any other way. They just feel right...to me at least.

I played one of their custom line guitars (2018 model that has half the body flame maple). The thing was absolutely AMAZING. Of course it was a 420,000 yen instrument but holy hell was that thing absolutely boss. I wanted it lol

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
Really need to know the year of the Caparison. If it's a newer model, just get it. If it's an older one, don't buy without trying first.

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
Have Horus X2 and a Dellinger from circa 2009...nicely built but not exactly
good value for the price. Interesting neck carves....thought they would be thinner
but def thicker closer to the nut...not bad at all. Very thin finish lacquer/paint...
apparently they think this helps with tone. Stock Caparison pups suck...actually
the single weren't too bad but the buckers were atrocious...every time I bought
one I was in contact with Tim Mills at BKP looking for good replacements. Each to
their own of course.....just my 2 cents.

')