Help choosing a 2x12 cab!

• Thread starter buffa d
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Help choosing a 2x12 cab!

• Mesa 2x12 three quarter back

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mesa 2x12 Rectifier cab

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Mesa 2x12 Lonestar cab

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vader 2x12 cab

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Orange ppc212 cab

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • other (please specify)

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

buffa d

Reaction score
I'll be upgrading my rig so I need a little help with the cab decision.
My new amp is going to be a Line6 Vetta II and my music style ranges from muse-ish rock to low tuned metal.
Needless to say I need a versatile amp that provides me a good warm clean sound and a nice distortion with no mud.
I want it to sound as huge as possible!

I chose a 2x12 cab since its a lot easier to gig with. I just hate lugging my Laney 4x12 around.
And another question. Does the cab HAVE to be over 150 watts, since that's how powerful the head is? I do know that I'll never be able to play it at full volume.
And yes I will go and test these side by side if possible.

Anyways what would you prefer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
the orange 212 is supposed to sound almost as huge as the 412. It isn't much smaller or lighter than a 412, though.

if you're concerned about weigth and size, i'd get the mesa recto 212 instead.

i have no experience with vader cabs

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
i'd say in most of the cases if the head is 150W and the cab 120W nothing will happen - but i'd always go for sure, because depending on your settings there can be very high peaks which can blow a speaker.

forelander

you fail me
Reaction score
I'm in this boat as well...Looking to replace my peavey 6505 cab with a 2 x 12 since the peavey is so ridiculously heavy and awkward. I'm looking at vader, the 2 x 12 cab is 240W, but I'm waiting to hear about shipping to Australia (yes I know it will probably be as expensive as the cab itself, but that will still work out cheaper than the alternatives).

The Orange ppc212 is only a 60W cab so I plan on avoiding that one.

EDIT: Actually the site I was looking at was wrong I think, on the Orange site both the 212's are 120W.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
I took both of my Recto 2x12s & loaded them with Eminence Swamp Thangs. Each cab is now rated for 300w & there is absolutely no problem with mud. ;)

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
hm, as i said: in 99% it will work and nothing will happen. but if you turn up full and/or have extreme settings, a speaker can get damaged.

buffa d

Reaction score
All right thanks a lot!
I just realized that a Rectifier 2x12 cab costs less than an Orange ppc2x12 in playback europe.

Maybe I should also check out some UK based stores.

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
This is currently the same situation im dealing with. I have a Mesa recto cab that im selling for the Orange cab. I was gonna go with a 2x12 again but decided just to go for the 4x12. I honestly dont really care for the mesa cab, atleast with the v30's that are in it.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
Have you considered avatar? theyre cabs are on par with post-change orange cabs, and you can get one with g12k100s for alot less than most of the options youve listed, and will be just as nice, if not more so

IrfaanSE801

Reaction score
I actually have a Randall 2x12 and I love it. It's got a removable back (can be closed or 3/4) and isn't that big, but I get a monster sound out of it. I'm running an RM100 head with it and it sounds fantastic. Nice highs, huge bass and it's sturdy as hell.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
Yeah I've checked them out.
Not sure if they ship to Europe, though.

what you could do is contact TT cabs in Germany, heard only positive stuff of the rex series: http://www.tt-cabs.com/tt_produkte/rex_serie.html

many "advanced" players i know from a german board are rambling on these how well they are built and how good they sound.

and Dirk seems to be one of the most firendly guys in business, and if you contact him he would find a very good solution, speaker-wise.

buffa d

Reaction score
a small bump:D

I heard someone say that Vettas like V30s since it's a slightly scooped amp.
Is this true at all?

From what I've heard Vaders seem to be very transparent so it could be possible to use the cab models in the vetta.
I know vaders are awesome for metal but I'm not sure how they handle clean tones,

Sorry for the constant posts but spending over 500 euros just to be unsatisfied isn't something I really want. :yesway:

forelander

you fail me
Reaction score
Made a decision yet? I'm leaning towards the orange 2x12 right now, since Vader haven't gotten back to me in over a week :(.

lefty robb

Shred like a mofo
Contributor
Reaction score
I had a Carvin Legacy 2x12 cab for a long time, I left the back off and thing sounded huge and pushed massive air, and you can get them for fairly cheap nowadays.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
a small bump:D

I heard someone say that Vettas like V30s since it's a slightly scooped amp.
Is this true at all?

From what I've heard Vaders seem to be very transparent so it could be possible to use the cab models in the vetta.
I know vaders are awesome for metal but I'm not sure how they handle clean tones,

Sorry for the constant posts but spending over 500 euros just to be unsatisfied isn't something I really want. :yesway:

if you're using a modeling amp, i'd go for the most neutral frequency response cabs.

Latest posts

')