Help choosing a new Ibanez...

• Thread starter smethubd
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

smethubd

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm looking to trade in my old 8 for a new one. My current one is an h-308 with the short neck and EMG's. I'm looking into new ones mainly because I want the longer neck, but the same sound that the 308 will give me. I know you guys are helpful and have most likely played these before. I'm worried about the Gibraltar bridge (unless told otherwise) and pickups that might change my tone to something less favorable than the EMG sound. I'm looking to possibly have a more subtle or organic sound like Javier.

I'm mainly looking to upgrade to something that I will be happy with and not really need to upgrade. I know the RG8 is good, but again, I do not want to have to buy upgrade parts and mod. The one's I was considering were...

Iron Label 8
-EMG's
-Looks great
-Not too thrilled about the bridge (unless told otherwise)
-No frills
-Correct scale length

RGA8
-Cheaper than the Iron Label
-More "standard" than the Iron label
-Arch Top
-Not EMG, but actives (Bad Actives?)
-Onboard EQ
-Locking bridge and nut

S8
-Thin body
-Cheaper than the other two
-Same bridge as the IL8
-Passive Pickups (Could be good or bad...)

Thank you in advance for your opinions, they mean a lot to me because I can't try them all.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Forget the RGA8. Even though it has my favorite Ibanez bridge, the onboard EQ is shit and the pickups suck.

The Iron Label 8 would be the best of the bunch if you want a stock instrument, although you may want to do the 18V mod if you want to sound like Javier.

smethubd

Reaction score
That's what I was worried about with the RGA8, the pickups and the EQ would suck. I hope that the Iron Label has enough space for the 18v.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Any reason why you're limited to Ibanez? You can get a used or stripped-down Carvin DC800 for a little over 100 more. Plus, there's the Schecter SLS C-8.

smethubd

Reaction score
My big thing is that I just recently bought an Ibanez 25th anniversary and I really like the guitar a lot. My other reason is that I need to do a trade in because I cannot afford one new and my current one has not been selling at all on craigslist, and the LGS is an ibanez dealer, so I would have to go Ibanez. Otherwise I would give Carvin a shot, or even some others, most likely not Schecter though, they have always sounded like plastic to me.

User Name

Banned
Reaction score
most likely not Schecter though, they have always sounded like plastic to me.

yao-ming-meme-generator-pls-64e3dd.jpg

smethubd

Reaction score
I'm not sure what it is about any Schecter that I have played. Just too thin in the sound range and too fat in the neck and body. Kinda burly.

User Name

Banned
Reaction score
depends on the schecter, the lower end ones definitely. of course thats how it is with every brand. if you try a higher end schecter im sure you will be pleased. i have a tempest custom and a hellraiser c-7 fr and both are the best playing guitars i have played in their price range.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Lemme guess; played a Hellraiser?

SLS's are supposed to be completely different. They took away everything this forum hates about Schecter with the SLS C-8, besides the actives. :lol:

smethubd

Reaction score
I played a few different models. My friend has one of their older 7s and he likes it, but its just not for me. I checked out the SLS and it isn't too bad spec wise, but I would for sure need to test drive it first.

I think the Iron Label 8 is probably going to be the one I choose since it seems like the number one contender in that range. Although I haven't heard anything against the S8...

r3tr0sp3ct1v3

Reaction score
I played a few different models. My friend has one of their older 7s and he likes it, but its just not for me. I checked out the SLS and it isn't too bad spec wise, but I would for sure need to test drive it first.

I think the Iron Label 8 is probably going to be the one I choose since it seems like the number one contender in that range. Although I haven't heard anything against the S8...

Well you'd be sinking like 200 into pickups because stock pickups probably will not suit your needs (Do they ever?)

Go with the Iron Label or give an SLS a try. I have 3 schecters that all sound really great. Devil Custom, C1 Classic, and a Damien Elite 7. I suggest you try before you buy. Never settle for something halfway right.

kchay

Reaction score
I'd go the Iron Label.

I own the RGA8 and you WILL need to swap those pups. They really are shitty actives (not even 9V batteries).
Also the onboard EQ is useless. So even if you DO swap those pups, there will be some random hole to fill (killswitch, maybe?).

Although, I don't think you should restrict yourself to Ibanez (even though I love them dearly), if you can help it. Other brands are doing the same thing just as well, or better sometimes.

kchay

Reaction score
Inevitably though, you've kind of restricted yourself in the fact that you don't really want to upgrade. I mean, I'd go for the S8 and maybe invest in GOOD passives, which you could do from the savings you make on buying one of the other 2 guitars (although I'm not too aware of pricing for these guitars where you are).

chopshop777

Reaction score
Honestly dude, I have tried all and own the RGA8 and in my opinion it is the best out of all 3 providing the pups are changed to something like Deativators, that's what I have in mine, hope this helps.

kchay

Reaction score
I'd echo what chopshop777 is saying.
It really is a good playing guitar. Just shitty electronics. The bridge is fine (so long you go for a newer model).

smethubd

Reaction score
I really wish I could try before I buy these guitars,

My guitar shop doesn't have any in stock and the only way I would get to play any of them is if I bought them with my trade in items. Another tough factor is that everyone has their opinions and that may or may line up with what I want in a guitar.

I do, however, like the sound that I get out of the stock passives on the 25th anniversary RG that I have (The cheaper one with dot inlays), but can also adjust to the EMGs that are loaded into my 308. I'm not sure that pickups are as big of a deal to me as they are with a lot of other people. I can just adjust my ToneLab to a sound that I prefer with a certain pickups. I hope that information helps...

')