Help Choosing First 8 String

Unlikley

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I know the answer to these questions is typically, "try in person" but I live in the outback of Australia, extended range guitars are practically non existent in a travelable distance for me. I'm debating on whether to buy the Ibanez RGMS8 or Ibanez's RG80F. Or something else, I see a lot of Agile, Legator and sometimes Harley Benton recommendations for cheaper 8 strings, but they're unavailable here.

I'm mostly wondering between the two Ibanez's, is if the lack of a multiscale is worth it for the better pickups or vice versa.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Muzz

Reaction score
Whatever store has the best return policy should narrow down your possible range I think

Stiman

Reaction score
That RG80F is a seriously sharp looking guitar. If I was going to get an 8 string it be the one I’d buy, 100%.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Okay my opinion on the RG80F is that its a great guitar, but its just a fancy RG8 with fishmans and locking tuners, which you can aquire used for much cheaper than that RG80F, my two cents, get an RG8 for like 300 bucks, and see if 8 strings are even for you. Then pickup a used set of fishmans and locking tuners for ~200 or 250 and boom you have a great guitar for like 550.

Or just get the RG80F. Ijust think its a bit pricey for a jump into 8 strings if you don't even know what you like.

Edit:

My sexy ass modded to hell RG8

received_2737609039874311.jpg

Unlikley

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Okay my opinion on the RG80F is that its a great guitar, but its just a fancy RG8 with fishmans and locking tuners, which you can aquire used for much cheaper than that RG80F, my two cents, get an RG8 for like 300 bucks, and see if 8 strings are even for you. Then pickup a used set of fishmans and locking tuners for ~200 or 250 and boom you have a great guitar for like 550.

Or just get the RG80F. Ijust think its a bit pricey for a jump into 8 strings if you don't even know what you like.

Edit:

My sexy ass modded to hell RG8

View attachment 112595

A brand new RG8 is $979aud here. The only used one I can find (Searching on Reverb, Ebay and Gumtree In AU) Is selling used for $865aud + $150 postage. Would pretty much be the price of a brand new RG80F getting the Tuners & Fishmans. Which is a pity

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
A brand new RG8 is $979aud here. The only used one I can find (Searching on Reverb, Ebay and Gumtree In AU) Is selling used for $865aud + $150 postage
Then yeah at that point thats insane. I got mine for $259 USD which is about $370 AUD. I'm sorry your gear market seems so inflated :(

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
RG80F is $1499, RG8 is $979
Thats still a 500 dollar difference that I'm not sure I myself can justify for a paint job, gold hardware, and some pickups I'd probably swap anyways. Maybe to some people that's worth the time and hassle doing all the modding, but that's what I enjoy doing personally. To each his own.

EDIT: @Randy also brings up a good point, 27" straight scale versus multiscale is unfortunately VERY polarizing. Me personally, I don't like multiscale because of how I chord on the low end, which is a lot of my playing, it leaves the edge of the nut right in the middle of my palm which I don't like, PERSONALLY. But to some people they don't like the feel of the high strings for lead playing, Ala what Randy was saying.

Why don't you sit down and really look at the list of pros and cons from long scale versus multiscale and see where you line up.

Do you plan on playing lots of leads? Or is this a djent machine? Or are you using yours like a finger tap stick like I do? I like the extra tension on the high strings for tapping.

6 strings are pretty non chalant in terms of specs, but I find when you get to 8 strings plus, the specs can make or break an instrument.

Stiman

Reaction score
RG80F is $1499, RG8 is $979

The RGMS8 is $1159

Interesting. Just for comparison, these are the prices (new) in CAD:
$ 585 RG8
$1,300 RG80F

Edit:
In my case, I would agree about getting the RG8 and upgrading the tuners and pickups, even though I much prefer the colour of the RG80F

Last edited:

Unlikley

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thats still a 500 dollar difference that I'm not sure I myself can justify for a paint job, gold hardware, and some pickups I'd probably swap anyways. Maybe to some people that's worth the time and hassle doing all the modding, but that's what I enjoy doing personally. To each his own.

EDIT: @Randy also brings up a good point, 27" straight scale versus multiscale is unfortunately VERY polarizing. Me personally, I don't like multiscale because of how I chord on the low end, which is a lot of my playing, it leaves the edge of the nut right in the middle of my palm which I don't like, PERSONALLY. But to some people they don't like the feel of the high strings for lead playing, Ala what Randy was saying.

Why don't you sit down and really look at the list of pros and cons from long scale versus multiscale and see where you line up.

Do you plan on playing lots of leads? Or is this a djent machine? Or are you using yours like a finger tap stick like I do? I like the extra tension on the high strings for tapping.

6 strings are pretty non chalant in terms of specs, but I find when you get to 8 strings plus, the specs can make or break an instrument.

Yeah the RG8 is probably the better option and just swapping out the pups. Though not a single RG8 seems to be in stock, so I might ask the stores if they'll be back anytime soon.
I am primarily just a lead player, but the bands I like that use extended range guitars are mostly djent, I do feel like I'd prefer a multiscale though. Between the ones listed here it just seems like a coin toss on which one to buy.

Unlikley

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Interesting. Just for comparison, these are the prices (new) in CAD:
$ 585 RG8
$1,300 RG80F

Edit:
In my case, I would agree about getting the RG8 and upgrading the tuners and pickups, even though I much prefer the colour of the RG80F
I do love the paintjob on the RG80F, definitely one of the better looking 8 strings out there.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Another vote for the RG8, though availability sounds like a major factor long with cost for you. Still, you could start with that base model and upgrade accordingly once one comes along or you find a good deal.

I agree with @CanserDYI the tuners are fine. I don't mind the stock pickups but found a good deal on a Pegasus so that's going into the bridge. It's a very good standard guitar, definitely on par or better than my RG7321's and I love those things.

Unlikley

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Another vote for the RG8, though availability sounds like a major factor long with cost for you. Still, you could start with that base model and upgrade accordingly once one comes along or you find a good deal.

I agree with @CanserDYI the tuners are fine. I don't mind the stock pickups but found a good deal on a Pegasus so that's going into the bridge. It's a very good standard guitar, definitely on par or better than my RG7321's and I love those things.
Availability on the guitars I seem to like are hit or miss. One in particular won’t be available until around the end of April next year

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Yeah I was actually surprised to find how usable the stock tuners are. I threw some "Guyker" brand ones on and they were soooo bad and wiggly and creaky, I legit threw the original no name indo made ones back on and havent had a problem since.

Stiman

Reaction score
I’ve never had issues with any stock tuners, but I love me some locking tuners!

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Might get the RGMS8 then, depending on the RG8’s stock. Seems to come with better pups and would quench my fixation for a multi scale
Definitely agree on the pickup side of things, the ones that are in the RG8 are literal Cort bass pickups. You're honestly fine either way, but the RGMS8 pups are way more usable in my experience.

Jinn

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I know the answer to these questions is typically, "try in person" but I live in the outback of Australia, extended range guitars are practically non existent in a travelable distance for me. I'm debating on whether to buy the Ibanez RGMS8 or Ibanez's RG80F. Or something else, I see a lot of Agile, Legator and sometimes Harley Benton recommendations for cheaper 8 strings, but they're unavailable here.

I'm mostly wondering between the two Ibanez's, is if the lack of a multiscale is worth it for the better pickups or vice versa.
RG80F All The Way!

')