Help Choosing First 8 String

Jamiecrain

Reaction score
if you have short fingers/small hands, forget the multi scale. every time you try to fret the first or second fret on the F# or B string, the nut will dig into your hand near the first string. It really ruins the multi scale experience for me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shiyu

Reaction score
I'll throw my vote in for the RG8 since I don't feel the RG80F has any features that are worth the extra cost and I dislike the way Ibanez does multiscale guitars. The issue is they put the straight fret way too high (like at the 12th fret) which makes the fan on the lower frets too extreme, leading to that issue others are mentioning where you feel the nut digging into your palm when chording on low notes. For some people, this isn't an issue and they can get along with it perfectly well. For me it's a deal breaker. Unfortunately there's no way for us to say what it'll feel like to you.

FWIW I had an RG8 and it was great. Played super smooth and I had no issues with it other than the pickups, but at least in that situation I have the option to change them out for whatever I want.

Latest posts

')