Help Deciding on FX

Matx

Ninja
Reaction score
I'm putting a rack setup together, and can't decide on a rack multi effects unit. My current setup is a Peavey Rockmaster preamp and a Peavey Classic 50/50 power amp. The multifx will go in between and run in stereo. I need one that can be setup with the 4 cable method (guitar to fx, fx to pre, pre back to fx, and fx to poweramp) AND relays so that it can control the channel switching on my preamp with programmable presets on the FX unit that cab be recalled via a midi controller like a Behringer FCP1010. I mostly play Djenty and metalcore stuff, but I'd like it to be as versatile of a unit as possible.

Altogether my budget is about $200 for the effects unit, controller not included, and it needs to be only 1U (1 rack space). Complexity setting it up is not an issue (recent Bachelors in Audio Engineering), and amp models are in no way a priority, but if it has them, it would be nice to have a backup.

-The TC Electronic G Major (first incarnation) can be had on eBay easily in my price range, but doesn't work with 4 cable method.

-Digitech GSP 1101 works with 4CM, but doesn't have relays for controlling channel switching.

Suggestions please?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Well, you could get the GSP1101 and use the FCB's relay switching. :shrug:

But with the G-Major, I really don't think the 4CM is necessary. Most of the effects that the G-Major has work best in the loop, which is probably why they didn't bother making it 4CM-capable.

xiphiod

Reaction score
I think maybe you have placed too many constraints on what you want.

Have you looked into any of the line 6 stuff? The HD500 is a pedalboard and can run as a midi controller, I run an XT pro, which is 2U, and I think it would meet your needs.
I also found the Lexicon MX400, looks like it would fit if you can pick it up used.

Is there any reason you can't use midi thru on the GSP 1101 for channel switching? or am I misunderstanding you?

Or you could save for axefx and scrap the whole preamp/fx setup :lol:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I think maybe you have placed too many constraints on what you want.

Have you looked into any of the line 6 stuff? The HD500 is a pedalboard and can run as a midi controller, I run an XT pro, which is 2U, and I think it would meet your needs.
I also found the Lexicon MX400, looks like it would fit if you can pick it up used.

Is there any reason you can't use midi thru on the GSP 1101 for channel switching? or am I misunderstanding you?

Or you could save for axefx and scrap the whole preamp/fx setup :lol:

The Rockmaster pre isn't MIDI capable. Thats why he wants something with relay switching.

Matx

Ninja
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time finding the right info in the online manuals and various forums. Any idea if the Behringer fcp1010 relays are assignable to presets when used with the gsp1101 (or the g major for that matter)?

Matx

Ninja
Reaction score
Ok, they can. Found that info in the wikipedia article for the Behringer of all places. So far it seems like my best choice would be the GSP1101. The reason I wanted a 4CM hookup compatible processor was so that I could boost my preamp just a bit, or maybe tighten it up with a conservative compressor instead of having to run my TS9 and noise suppressor out in front. Trying to keep this rig as much in the rack as possible.

Matx

Ninja
Reaction score
Ok, from what I can tell, I'm going to look for a used Digitech GSP1101 and a Behringer FCP1010 midi pedal. Anyone have experience with the GSP? I really like my tone dry and don't want to ufck it up. Lots of mixed opinions from people comparing it to the G Major 2. It's still going to be a bit before I pull the trigger.

')