Help enlarging pickup cavities with Dremel

ihunda

Reaction score
Gents, I am a big fan of covered pickups and lately most of my guitars can't fit them. There's always a few millimeters missing, granted nothing much but still needs to be worked on.

I've enlarged cavities in the past using sandpaper, it worked fine but I found a way to scratch the surface of the guitar a bit at the corners. It was on an old ibby for practice but I 'am looking for a better, more consistent way.

I keep reading of people using dremels for that job but I can't find pictures or a more detailed process that just "use a dremel" :wallbash:

Can anybody help?
Did anyone already enlarge cavities on a nice figured top guitar using a dremel or any other common tool? :scratch:

I have a set of covered nailbombs 7 and EMG 57/66 I'd like to install sooner than later :shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Gents, I am a big fan of covered pickups and lately most of my guitars can't fit them. There's always a few millimeters missing, granted nothing much but still needs to be worked on.

I've enlarged cavities in the past using sandpaper, it worked fine but I found a way to scratch the surface of the guitar a bit at the corners. It was on an old ibby for practice but I 'am looking for a better, more consistent way.

I keep reading of people using dremels for that job but I can't find pictures or a more detailed process that just "use a dremel" :wallbash:

Can anybody help?
Did anyone already enlarge cavities on a nice figured top guitar using a dremel or any other common tool? :scratch:

I have a set of covered nailbombs 7 and EMG 57/66 I'd like to install sooner than later :shred:

Find the right size template or make one. Once you've got that, use a router with a flush cut bit.

I would highly advise against using a dremel or anything without a template invoved since you've use the term "nice figured top." :wavey:

:hbang:

ihunda

Reaction score
^ Thanks, you're right of course, why didn't I think about using templates.
So your advice is to use a router so that means leaving it at a luthier as I don't have power tools.
I live in Paris and my experience with professionals has been pretty bad, even for simple stuff such has changing and filing a nut for heavy gauge strings. It's to the point where I don't want to give them an expensive instrument to work on, I am too worried about getting it back disfigured.

Suitable

Reaction score
You can get router attachments for your dremel, they even have a full plunge router setup that you put your dremel in. Get a copy or flush cut dremel bit, make some jigs (you can even use Lego) and away you go :yesway: the money you'll spend paying someone to do it will easily pay for the parts you need for the dremel, and youll find yourself using it for heaps of other things too, well worth the money :yesway: a dremel router/router is a tool youll wonder how you ever got by in life without one for so long!

ihunda

Reaction score
You can get router attachments for your dremel, they even have a full plunge router setup that you put your dremel in. Get a copy or flush cut dremel bit

Thanks man, are you talking about this dremel:
Dremel Trio

r23543v15.jpg

Or is it something that can be added to the standard model?

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
It is better to modify the pickups rather than the guitar, two cents.

Handbanana

Reaction score
I just went for it. Take your time. Once you install the covers, you shouldn't really see anything?

ihunda

Reaction score
Its definatly a worthwile investment for what you want to do :yesway:

Sounds like I can't go wrong from less than 50 bucks!

I just went for it. Take your time. Once you install the covers, you shouldn't really see anything?

I am currently on holidays but I ordered it and will try on an old RG1527 first. I will refinish it anyway.

I will report back!

')