Help figuring out this scale?

• Thread starter Glimpsed-AM
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Glimpsed-AM

Reaction score
Hey, my friend showed me this song from the game Diablo 3 earlier today and I thought it sounded very evil and dark, which fits the type of music we play which is deathcore. We are heavily influenced by the band Whitechapel and I was wondering if anyone could help me by telling me what scale(s) are used in it? Any help would be much appreciated! :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
A natural minor ALLL over dat sheeit!

Edit: Oop, C minor section, as well. Then D minor. Then E minor. See a pattern emerging? If you want to replicate that, just modulate around different minor keys.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
It's more than just a scale thing. The chords are not straight tertian harmony, particularly at the beginning. Try added fourths. I think that moving the other chords against an A pedal does something for it, too. It gets a more tame as the tune progresses, but at the beginning, there are a lot of non-diatonic root movement. I hate that diminished seventh chord in there so much. :lol:

Glimpsed-AM

Reaction score
A natural minor ALLL over dat sheeit!

Edit: Oop, C minor section, as well. Then D minor. Then E minor. See a pattern emerging? If you want to replicate that, just modulate around different minor keys.

Can you please explain to me a little more in depth? I'm still kind of confused.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
It starts in A natural minor. It changes to different natural minor scales. Nothing more to really add to that, by way of key.

Glimpsed-AM

Reaction score
It starts in A natural minor. It changes to different natural minor scales. Nothing more to really add to that, by way of key.

I think I might have misunderstood your first post lol. after reading it again I got what you meant. Anyway, thanks for the help guys I appreciate it! :D

Glimpsed-AM

Reaction score
Okay, I'm just curious and I didn't want to start a whole new thread for this... But what would be the best scales I could use to write some Whitechapel sounding riffs? More like from their This is Exile album or their New Era album?

Like besides Natural Minor and Harmonic Minor?

')