Help For Death Metal

• Thread starter bloodbrother
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez254

Central Scrutinizer
Reaction score
Phyrgian Dominant, Harmonic Minor,Melodic Minor,Augmented,Diminished are all pretty metal.:hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xshreditupx

tats+metal=life
Reaction score
Hey Guys i have a 7620 was looking for advice on what scales and other things alot of death metal bands use also have a questionon string gauge what should i use on the 7620 i have it tuned down a whole step to A. any help is appreciated, sorry if im in the wrong section this is my first time posting been a memeber for a long time

hey man, i play in a death metal influenced band. we tune in drop A, AEADGBE, lets you have the standard tune, and still have the ability to use the low end of A. REALLY there are no rules when it comes to your tuning, most death metal style , or heavier style metal bands will tune down, but there are A LOT that do not. depends on your taste. if you are going lower, you may wanna go heavier on your strings. i use 10- 58, the other guitar player in my band uses 13-68, just depends on what you like. i like an easy bend and what not so lighter is better for me. its all about what your taste really.

xshreditupx

tats+metal=life
Reaction score
Morbid Angel have pretty much never used the diminished scale...It has never been a big part of most death metal up until bands like Decapitated or Necrophagist.

There is no 'Death Metal Scale' or a scale that every death metal band has to use. The point of death metal is to use whatever interval or scale you want, even if it isn't in the same key as the song...look at Deicide.

If OP is talking about guitar scale lengths, It literally makes no difference - Rob Barrett uses Gibson Les Pauls for Bb and even G# I'm fairly certain, while Pat O'brien uses Baritones and standard 6 & 7 string guitars.

Believing there to be a tuning, scale length, musical scale or interval that suits death metal irks me to no end.

A standard works fine If YOU like the tuning. Aeon use B standard, Morbid Angel use A#...

Sit in your room and write some music - stop worrying about all this crap.

Oh and use a guage YOU like...

Try them all until you find one you like.

Personally I'd use 11-50-65

i fucking back the shit out of this statement. MUSIC IS ALL ABOUT WHAT YOU LIKE. the point of music is to put out what YOU feel and what moves YOU. find your mark,make something new happen, CREATE. not to say that knowing what others do isnt a good base to have, but there are NO RULES. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS DEATH METAL SCALES HAHAHA, well.....maybe that one that makes your fingertips bleed, thats a damn good one :lol::evil::lol:

i_like_shred

wannabe-widdler
Reaction score
Diminished scale?
Hate eternal diminished scale?
Whaaa-?
Rutan uses a flat 5th chord shape a LOT, but he does play more than stacked minor thirds up the neck
If something sounds atonal, it usually is. You can analise music as much as you want, you can aim to sound like other bands as much as you want, but really, in one of the most musically free genres out there, why would you want to?
Just play whatever the fuck you want to! And make sure its coming from your heart, not your head.
Another thing, its not always just the NOTES your playing that make it sound heavy. Guitar Pro and tabs everywhere have kind of ruined this next point for a lot of people imo.
I can make micheal jackson tunes sound heavy as fuck if i want to.
Its the WAY you play the guitar, not the scales/notes/modes your playing. It is very good to know all these shapes etc,
but i think it was steve vai that once said something along the lines of
'It takes balls to be a true original. to learn all the rules, and then break them.'

prplhz

Reaction score
you know what really REALLY grinds my gears?

These types of threads :lol:

Seriously, Death Metal and most Extreme forms of metal are a culmination of a lot of different types of theories and techniques. Not so much anymore because people can start out listening to bands like Decrepit Birth and such and go from there. It wasn't always this way. Music has come a long way and I'm glad I got into it because of rock and blues and jazz because when I started to play death metal it surely is different, but in the sense that it's just so much rolled into one genre.

My advice if you want to play death metal is to learn the crap out of every other basic genre and then start messing around with what you've learned.

Reaction score
you know what really REALLY grinds my gears?

These types of threads :lol:

Seriously, Death Metal and most Extreme forms of metal are a culmination of a lot of different types of theories and techniques. Not so much anymore because people can start out listening to bands like Decrepit Birth and such and go from there. It wasn't always this way. Music has come a long way and I'm glad I got into it because of rock and blues and jazz because when I started to play death metal it surely is different, but in the sense that it's just so much rolled into one genre.

My advice if you want to play death metal is to learn the crap out of every other basic genre and then start messing around with what you've learned.

+1
pretty fuckin much dude...(specially the first part) if you start listening to one band and say oh i want to have that sound...it's not going to turn out well, music is supposed to be an "expressive" artform. i.e. don't overthink it just learn some stuff (scales, chords, arpeggios, etc...) and start moving it around until it's something all your own.

')