HELP! i need opinions on modifying my RG7

Cyanide Assassin

play me some metal!!
Reaction score
i just got my Ibanez RG7321 and ive been looking at different pups and im quite interested in dimarzio blaze neck pup as a bridge pup also interested in a dimarzio tonezone 7. the style of music i play has greatly been influenced by those of necrophagist six feet under lots of underground death metal. the settings on my head i usually have are bass at around 9 mid around 5 and treble around 8. gives for a really chunky ka-thump to palm mutes and when ur shredding then damn. i dont really like emg's all to much cuz theyre just not for me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
Don't get the TZ7, a few people have had negative experiences with them. (Especially in basswood.)

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
TZ7 - really bad pup with basewood. Nothing like the 6 string version.

Cant go wrong with a blaze neck in the bridge position (korn used to do that). Check out the pickup selection guide located here.

DetunedLoon

Reaction score
I've said this a dozen times........AND YOU GUYS JUST DON'T LISTEN!!!!!

Get D Activators Bridge and Blaze Neck or D Activators Neck.....but go with DA's!!!!! JEEESSSS!

Try them...I swear you'll NEVER buy batterys again!!!!!

HamBungler

Lord Zorgatron
Reaction score
I've said this a dozen times........AND YOU GUYS JUST DON'T LISTEN!!!!!

Get D Activators Bridge and Blaze Neck or D Activators Neck.....but go with DA's!!!!! JEEESSSS!

Try them...I swear you'll NEVER buy batterys again!!!!!

DAs are cool but they aren't for everyone either. Instead of being blatantly obsessive about the pickup, actually tell its good points and maybe what it sounds like in the wood type he has and provide useful information.

DetunedLoon

Reaction score
Noted and taken.
I've switched out a dozen configs in RG7321's....both Dimarzio and SD.
I was a dye-in-the-wool DiMarzio Blaze and Air Norton guy for a long time.
(I dig JB's also,.....great all around PU, IMO)

Then came D Activators......and the marriage of basswood.......

I haven't looked back.

Cyanide Assassin

play me some metal!!
Reaction score
thanks again. im actually looking into buying the d-activators. possibly for the bridge. but for the neck im still not sure. i want a nice round warm tone for the neck but still with some crunch.

anbody know if dimarzio makes a 7-string version for the X2N pup?

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yep, it's the X2N7. Also, as someone who's owned a TZ7, don't even think about it. Possibly the worst 7 string pickup on the planet.

Cyanide Assassin

play me some metal!!
Reaction score
ok so i think i have made my decision. im thinkning about the dimarzio X2N-7 and the Air Norton 7. X2N in bridge and norton in neck. if anyone knows of any downfalls to this combination or interaction with bass wood feel free to speak up.thanks again.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The X2n is a much higher output pickup than the air norton. You would have drastic volume changes when you would switch pickups.

Haunted Cereal

I am Sammy Jankis
Reaction score
well rather than start a new thread on a very similar subject i'll just tag in right here. what would you guys think about putting a x2n-7 in the NECK positon of an rg7321 with a blaze neck in the bridge position. i just don't like the sort of twang i get from the bridge pickup so i end up using my neck pu most of the time anyway and it would seem to make sense. if not the blaze neck then i was thinking the dimarzio paf7's sounded nice.

HamBungler

Lord Zorgatron
Reaction score
The X2n is a much higher output pickup than the air norton. You would have drastic volume changes when you would switch pickups.

Easy way to solve this is to lower the X2N-7 a bit. I have pretty good balance between my bridge X2N and DD neck pickup. I do plan on eventually replacing it with either an Air Norton or a Jazz. Is the Jazz a higher output than the Air Norton? If so, that might be a better match.

Cyanide Assassin

play me some metal!!
Reaction score
oh one other thing i forgot to say i play alot of rythym and i dont use my nek pickup a whole lot but i do for my clean tones. when i do cleans then the neck pup is all i use.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
i just got my Ibanez RG7321 and ive been looking at different pups and im quite interested in dimarzio blaze neck pup as a bridge pup also interested in a dimarzio tonezone 7. the style of music i play has greatly been influenced by those of necrophagist six feet under lots of underground death metal. the settings on my head i usually have are bass at around 9 mid around 5 and treble around 8. gives for a really chunky ka-thump to palm mutes and when ur shredding then damn. i dont really like emg's all to much cuz theyre just not for me.

Um, what IS your head? Makes a huge difference here...

With all the DM influences you're citing, something high output might be a good match. D-Activators, I'd say maybe not, if you don't like the EMG tone - they're wound to sound as much like EMG's as possible. Though, Necrophagist uses them, so maybe rethinking your settings and going with these might work. A D-Sonic 7 might be a good match, it falls somewhere between the X2N7 and the Blaze bridge, tonally, so it won't give you as much of an output imbalance but it'll still have the heat and clarity.

Also, am I the only person here that loves the "shimmery" sound you can get from a bridge humbucker into a clean channel?

')