Help identifying luthier

• Thread starter trevets
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

trevets

Reaction score
so ive been wanting to trade my carvin dc727, i got an offer from this guy for a guitar that is currently in the process of being made in china. this person didnt give me much information to go off of about the luthier except for the name "tilli" because he doesnt know much more about the luthier himself. the pictures he sent me look pretty cool, but im still skeptical of the quality of this guys luthier work. so if anyone could shed some light on maybe this luthiers previous work or any other information about him i would really appreciate it. here are the pictures he sent me so that maybe somebody can recognize his work.

10612027_10152588247355041_1487844552_o.jpg

10486156_10152588248355041_1035413607_o.jpg

10612506_10152588262915041_1636660380_o.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fastmerc

Reaction score
I don't know who's that is but I sure wouldn't consider trading a known quality piece, for something unknown from China. Also in that last picture it doesn't look like there is a truss rod in the channel. Just my thinking though.

XxJoshxX

Djentleman
Reaction score
Im not sure about the strength of that neck joint goint the full depth of the body, plus it doesnt look like it was a tight fit before gluing

trevets

Reaction score
Yeah thanks for pointing that out, probably gonna go and decline that offer now. Just feels a little sketchy.

Eliguy666

Holy shit I've been inactive for awhile
Reaction score
Not to mention that the neck join looks poorly designed, too: the string tension would all be put at the glue between the neck and the body, without any wood bracing it (most set necks are above the body blank, so that they are supported by it).

I'm assuming that this builder might have made the mistake of originally planning on a neck-thru guitar (notice how the three piece body blank looks like it had a set of neck-thru guitar body wings, but with the center piece being added in there?), but not having a long-enough neck blank.

Reaction score
Neko guitars make's them i think i saw a post recently of a memeber of SS.org buying one of their unfinished kit

here's the thread

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/lu...-build-thread-mayo-jackson-caparamachine.html

its from the same maker

and here's their GP thread

http://.............../showthread.php?231-Official-Neko-Guitars-Thread/page2

btw im not affiliated with them in anyway, im not a big fan either he Got butthurt because allegedly someone in the UK copied his design which also resembles designs that exist already so go figure, tried a 7 hyrda or claymore cant remember really for the price id say its was an ok guitar for what they are asking for it id say its a steal, also if you can live with them skimping on "tops" cause they use veneers most of the time, i mean you cant expect a $4000 quality on a $400-$700 guitar hope that helps

btw that guitar you posted that model goes from around $200-$400 upon end of bidding when they have it on ebay so you can get a gauge of the trade value

relicguitars24 thats his ebay name if you have other questions

Last edited:

downburst82

Reaction score
Very ONI-ish

It look pretty and could turn out to be a decent guitar...but I don't think I would risk it.

Reaction score
Very ONI-ish

It look pretty and could turn out to be a decent guitar...but I don't think I would risk it.

Vik, ONI and parker did a 3some this would be it lolz

nothing against neko but to the OP trading a Carvin for this doesn't make any sense unless you feel adventurous, you're on the loosing end of the deal unless he sweetens it up with something of value, your carvin will hold its value, you may lose some but not as much as you would lose with the other guitar

')