Help! is my RG7620 fake?

• Thread starter GoreNotCore
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GoreNotCore

Reaction score
Im always suspicious of buying used Ibanez guitars because of the well known massive fake chinese market. I recently picked up a RG7620BK from a friend, not ebay. I have no real reason to suspect its a fake honestly but i want to be 10000% sure its real just to sleep easier at night. The ONLY reason im suspicious is because... well i only paid $100 USD for it. My friend really did have too many guitars and did need to pay rent or whatever but $100 seems too good to be true. Even if its fake, its nearly impossible that it could be, and even if it is, it plays great and sounds great.

Are 7620's even copied by the chinese usually? Im under the impression that its usually JEM's, UV's, or JS's that get ripped off. Ive never heard of a fake 7620 before.

If anyone can offer any tips to spot if its fake, it would be highly appreciated. The serial number is in order. the parts are sturdy and seem legit. it doesnt go out of tune at an abnormal rate. the pickup routes seem right. the bridge looks right (and i think an edge lo pro 7 wouldnt be worth the time of a chinese factory to try and copy anyway, at least not to this level of quality) the trem block has the proper markings. The neck is straight. Is there any thing else that would determine if its real or fake?

Thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

User Name

Banned
Reaction score
its probably not dude, only higher end guitars tend to get copied. a 7620 would not really be worth copying

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
If everything looks legit, and you checked, why would it be fake for costing $100?

I bought my K-7 for $175 from a dude who needed the money.

Also, no pics :C

GoreNotCore

Reaction score
some pics to help out
IMG_20131202_145025_033.jpg

IMG_20140204_215909_411.jpg

IMG_20140204_221042_971.jpg

IMG_20140204_220922_492.jpg

IMG_20140204_220723_889.jpg

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Looks exactly like my 7620BK but more battleworn and with Duncans :yesway:

Hell, the trem alone is worth about $200, and the pickups could go for around another $100 haha you found an awesome deal!

GoreNotCore

Reaction score
dude.. even if it really was fake, $100 is a good deal for pretty much any 7 string :lol:

that's what im saying haha. it plays better than most 1527's ive run across so im a happy camper. i just had a little paranoia haha. thanks for the speedy reply and good answer:yesway:

GoreNotCore

Reaction score
Looks exactly like my 7620BK but more battleworn and with Duncans :yesway:

Hell, the trem alone is worth about $200, and the pickups could go for around another $100 haha you found an awesome deal!

YES that makes me feel much better lol. i like the term "battleworn" it sounds alot cooler than "dinged to hell" haha. any idea what kind of duncans they might be?

Ocara-Jacob

SSO Recluse
Reaction score
wait wait wait the pickup tabs look too round to be from a 7620. Looks more like a 7420, which, mind you, had the same neck as the 7620, were made in the same factory, and also pretty much everything except the bridge was the same. What bridge specifically is that? If it's a Lo-TRS, you've got yourself a 7420.

EDIT: NEVERMIND I WAS WRONG LOL
Just pulled out my 7420, the bridge is a different shape on yours.
you're fine.

BillCosby

Reaction score
wait wait wait the pickup tabs look too round to be from a 7620. Looks more like a 7420, which, mind you, had the same neck as the 7620, were made in the same factory, and also pretty much everything except the bridge was the same. What bridge specifically is that? If it's a Lo-TRS, you've got yourself a 7420.

you're fine.

The tabs were rounded out because Duncans have bigger tabs than DiMarzios. It has a lo-pro.

GoreNotCore

Reaction score

you're fine.

haha thanks anyway

rikomaru

Reaction score
No reason to think it's fake. Don't let the $400 tags you see floating around fool you into thinking it's not an 11+ year old guitar. You definitely got it cheap, but not ridiculously so. :)

GoreNotCore

Reaction score
No reason to think it's fake. Don't let the $400 tags you see floating around fool you into thinking it's not an 11+ year old guitar. You definitely got it cheap, but not ridiculously so. :)

i guess it was odd because when i was actively looking for one 5 or 6 years ago i couldnt touch it for under $500 and then this one just fell into my lap for squier money.

warhead

Reaction score
HOLY F*?#"!G batman!!! THAT guitar for a 100???????? It makes me so jelous I wanna cry .......

Edika

Reaction score
Very good deal indeed. As people have covered it before it is a real 7620 with nicer pups to boot. Your initial instinct was right since I haven't any counterfeit non prestige Ibanez.

Latest posts

')