Help Jackson players...

DaddleCecapitation

Manatees Last Breath
Reaction score
I played a Jackson DK2 in a music store recently and I didn't like how the neck was so thin. It sounded nice, but the neck bothered me. I really want to get into Jackson Guitars, but I don't know if models have thicker neck profiles. Any suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The DK-2 is one of the thinner profiles (though it's nowhere near Ibanez thin). The neck-thru guitars have slightly thicker necks...

troyguitar

Reaction score
Yeah I said SL3 since it's HSS w/ Floyd like the DK2 he tried.

My old SL3 played and sounded as nice as anything including an 87 Charvel Model 5, a 2000 SL1, and an early 00's USA XTRR.

Yul Brynner

Fabricated Background
Reaction score
can i ask a question here jackson guys? wtf is up with the neck and head binding???? whats with the weird stripes in it? why not plain white like the rest of the world??

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
can i ask a question here jackson guys? wtf is up with the neck and head binding???? whats with the weird stripes in it? why not plain white like the rest of the world??

you must have seen a weird custom job. jackson's typical neck/head binding *IS* just a single white or cream ply, like everyone else.

Yul Brynner

Fabricated Background
Reaction score
nope. its on my cousins kevin bond AND TWO usa jacksons at my local shop. an all natural quilt top SL2 with chrome harware and a cherry sunburst quilt top usa dinky with 2 emgs and chrome hardware. both brand new

its almost like that packing tape that has the little lines in it

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Check out an SL-2H, massive sexy chunky neck thats still stupidly playable.

Word.
I've only ever played a SL-2H once in my life, but the experience was so incredible I never forgot what it was like to play one.
Just soooooo freakin smooth to play.

sevenstringj

Banned
Reaction score
The binding on my Soloist is like that too. And you know what? I think it looks ten times better than the plain white binding found on Ibbys and ESPs. It's like multi-laminate or something. I dunno.

And yeah, the necks on Soloists are fuckin' sweet.

The Echthros

Stupid, apparently
Reaction score
do you like thick gibson style necks? or just slightly thicker than what you played?

If you want a thick neck the thickest neck I've played on a jackson is on a PC1. i think the neck is right around 0.9" at its thickest with a chunky C to it. lots of timber for your hand!

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
nope. its on my cousins kevin bond AND TWO usa jacksons at my local shop. an all natural quilt top SL2 with chrome harware and a cherry sunburst quilt top usa dinky with 2 emgs and chrome hardware. both brand new

its almost like that packing tape that has the little lines in it

sounds like you're describing multi-ply binding.
that's pretty common on higher end guitars. usually you only see that on the body and headstock, but sometimes you see it on the neck, too.

i think it's a MUCH better look than single ply binding--depending on what the rest of the guitar looks like, of course.

Yul Brynner

Fabricated Background
Reaction score
nah man not multi ply like an lp custom. its single ply but im serious its white with yellowish like lines about maybe 1mm thick running the length of the fretboard and only seen from the side.

that q-tuner in the rg looks badass btw

Sir Euric

8 strings of lore
Reaction score
nah man not multi ply like an lp custom. its single ply but im serious its white with yellowish like lines about maybe 1mm thick running the length of the fretboard and only seen from the side.

that q-tuner in the rg looks badass btw

Yes cousin possumkiller, its weird looking binding thats for sure, and not to mention the decal pentagram inlays on the kevin bond sig. that I have as well, I don't know if thats the way kevin bond wanted his inlays, but to me, its a cheap ass way of doing inlays... NOT worthy of 1300 dollar pricetag (after I had an EMG 81 installed).

DaddleCecapitation

Manatees Last Breath
Reaction score
do you like thick gibson style necks? or just slightly thicker than what you played?

If you want a thick neck the thickest neck I've played on a jackson is on a PC1. i think the neck is right around 0.9" at its thickest with a chunky C to it. lots of timber for your hand!

I've played Gibsons, Epiphones and LTD's and I liked the necks on a lot of them. I own a Squier Strat and a B.C. Rich Exotic Classic Bich. The neck on the Bich is HUGE!! It's thicker than most Gibsons I've played, but it's just really comfortable for me. Flat necks feel really strange to me that's all. Probably something to get used to.