Help! Low String vs Tuning Peg

• Thread starter kalhorrible
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kalhorrible

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I've had my 8 string about 6 months. A TAM10 to be exact. I decided it was time to throw a new pair of strings on. I've been reading up on different tensions and whatnot, that all is still pretty new to me. I decided to just go with a set of .09-.74s and moving forward I'll try different things.

So I take the old set off, when I went to put the 8th string on, it doesn't really slide into the tuning peg. At all. I'm fairly certain .74 isn't that heavy of a string, I mean that's supposedly what comes on the TAM10 stock. Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do to make it work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
Drill out the hole in the tuner, it'll fit fine then. I've had to do this to nearly all of my 8 strings to use larger gauge strings.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The two primary thoughts on this are 1) drill out the tuner, like KnightBrolaire suggested, or 2) unwinding the end of the string meant for the tuner.

Both methods have their pros and cons, and personally I'm in the unwinding camp most of the time.

Ram150023

NutzKustoms
Reaction score
I drill the tuning peg. I didnt even have my new Agile 828 a half hour before I drilled the peg out. Did it on my RG8 as well...

Just dont drill bigger than you need ( I run a .080 )... Take your time ( literally about 45 seconds) and youll have an exact fit for the bigger gauges as well as a functional and perfect peg for the smaller gauges.

EDIT* - its permanent. Granted... however once you jump and see how the thicker strings sound and punch... Doubtful youll go back down in guage.

vick1000

Reaction score
If you do drill instead of file the hole, clean up the edges of the hole with a file or similar. The sharp edge the drill bit leaves can cause the string to break when you are winding up a new one.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
I've tried unwinding thicker strings and trust me, it's faster to drill out the tuner. Unwinding strings is a pain in the ass imo, especially if you change strings regularly.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
Minor necrobump!

I've seen a few tuners needing replacement because of drilling.

Me? I use .090 regularly, and have used .125 on occasion.

Here's what I do:

• Put string on instrument as you would any other string, up to the point where you'd insert it into the tuner
  • Take locking pliers and grip the string a half-inch past where it passes the tuner
  • Unwind wrap wire to where it's being gripped
  • Put string end through tuner, and turn until you're almost at the pliers
  • Remove pliers and continue turning, so the wrap is held against the tuner
Voila! no wrap issues, and no weakening the tuner in any way!

Latest posts

')